The New Brainwavz S3 “Silver Bullet” Earphones with Clearwavz Remote & Microphone
Sep 23, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #46 of 316
+3

We want to see them bringing out BA earphones again or a neat little hybrid.
+4 for a hybrid model :)

I am liking what I am hearing from the S3 though. I really like the vocals and guitars. They have managed to get just the right amount of edge giving female vocals in particular good vitality. Guitars have some bite or crunch to them as well. All without coming across as harsh or sibilant.

I am using a non stock tip for today that is a wide mouth nozzle but not quite as wide as the stock red stem tip. I will play with either my own Sony hybrid or the ones in the kit tonight to see how much difference the narrow opening makes on the midrange and treble. I am also using these over ear versus hanging straight down. This method eliminate almost all cable noise.

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #47 of 316
After a couple of hours with the S3's I think these may actually challenge the R3's as my favorite Brainwavz IEM so far.

I think they've got a less mid-bass and peaky treble than both the S0 and S5.

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #48 of 316
It seems to me that every earphone or headphone Brainwavz makes is overly bassy except the jive [...]

That's strange, the Jive has got more bass in my ears, as I also get a very good seal with it. Sure, the S3 is warm and bassy, especially with the narrow-bore tips, but imo more balanced than the Jive. Clearly not as balanced as the M3 though.

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #49 of 316

That's strange, the Jive has got more bass in my ears, as I also get a very good seal with it. Sure, the S3 is warm and bassy, especially with the narrow-bore tips, but imo more balanced than the Jive. Clearly not as balanced as the M3 though.

Naa. jive is more balanced, this is bassy, not much but bassy. Burning for 80hrs will be nice i think.

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #50 of 316

Naa. jive is more balanced, this is bassy, not much but bassy. Burning for 80hrs will be nice i think.

I just said how I hear it in my ears. Owning both, I can say that the Jive has definitely got more bass (both bein used with the stock tips that come included).
I'll keep trying, but atm the S3 has got less bass quantity.

I guess I need to take a break and continue tomorrow.

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #51 of 316
I just said how I hear it in my ears. Owning both, I can say that the Jive has definitely got more bass (both bein used with the stock tips that come included).

I guess I need to take a break and continue tomorrow.

Maybe.
tongue.gif
, today morning, my q-jays were sounding off too, but now, they are rocking.
wink_face.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #52 of 316

This is how I hear them as well. I use wide bore tips on them.

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #53 of 316
I've got a full 24 hours on them now and they sound no different from last night. Still bass heavy, really warm, and they seem congested. Not liking them at all to be honest. 

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #54 of 316
+4 for a hybrid model :)

I am liking what I am hearing from the S3 though. I really like the vocals and guitars. They have managed to get just the right amount of edge giving female vocals in particular good vitality. Guitars have some bite or crunch to them as well. All without coming across as harsh or sibilant.

+10 Agree. The midrange tuning is very nice, neutral and lively.

Sep 25, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #55 of 316
I am interested in giving them a try when they come out. For the people who have tried them, how would you describe their sound? I have both the S0 and the Jives, I'm not a particular fan of the first one but I really like the second one, so obviously I would hope they are more an upgrade to the Jive sound signature than the S0 (I also have listened to the S5 and find the low end bloated).

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #56 of 316
I am interested in giving them a try when they come out. For the people who have tried them, how would you describe their sound? I have both the S0 and the Jives, I not a particular fan of the first one but I really like the second one, so obviously I would hope they are more an upgrade to the Jive sound signature than the S0 (I also have listened to the S5 and find the low end bloated).

If you found the low end of the S5 to be bloated, I suggest avoiding the S series altogether. The S3, from my early listening sessions, sounds very similar to the S1, a downgrade from the S5 with a muddier low-end, less treble brightness, and an overall warmer sound signature. Having tried the entire S series, the S3 has nothing new to bring to the table sound-wise, and as I stated, I suggest avoiding the S-series and taking a look at the leaner R3 or even the M1.

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #57 of 316
If you found the low end of the S5 to be bloated, I suggest avoiding the S series altogether. The S3, from my early listening sessions, sounds very similar to the S1, a downgrade from the S5 with a muddier low-end, less treble brightness, and an overall warmer sound signature. Having tried the entire S series, the S3 has nothing new to bring to the table sound-wise, and as I stated, I suggest avoiding the S-series and taking a look at the leaner R3 or even the M1.

R3 fares good with serious balance and clarity.

Sep 25, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #58 of 316
I haven't been feeling well recently, coming down with a slight "something" (as mysterious as Brainwavz new offering) but I'm pretty sure with the wide-bore tips the a serious bass rolloff, definitely not warm or bassy. Switching to the small small-bore tips (small in size and in bore) the bass definitely evens out, but still isn't what I would call bassy.

Maybe I'm growing old at 20, or maybe I'm not thinking straight atm, idk. I'm pretty sure though the very low end (sub-bass? Whatever it's called) is either neutral or lacking.

Jason, could you tell us what tips you've been using? If they were the Comply, that makes some sense. Otherwise, I probably need to burn this in some more.

In any case, @Salsera I will probably burn this in a few more days before publishing any review. I could adhere to the 24-hour schedule I did for the S0, and in fact, I already had the review written up within a day of receiving the S3, but I'll erase that and write another one in a week, after it burns in - My review isn't so favorable towards the S3 in a couple of aspects right now (sorry 
frown.gif
), and perhaps a few more days will change that. 

Thank you so much for providing us with this opportunity though! I really appreciate it.

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #59 of 316
  I haven't been feeling well recently, coming down with a slight "something" (as mysterious as Brainwavz new offering) but I'm pretty sure with the wide-bore tips the a serious bass rolloff, definitely not warm or bassy. Switching to the small small-bore tips (small in size and in bore) the bass definitely evens out, but still isn't what I would call bassy.

[...] I'm pretty sure though the very low end (sub-bass? Whatever it's called) is either neutral or lacking.

With the wide-bore tips, they are definitely warm with a good amount of bass, but still not what I'd refer to as being very "bassy" (just for that everyone knows, my main headphones for music are the Etymotic ER-4S and UERM, two very neutral IEMs, among others in my collection, but they are my favourites among the neutral ones).
Probably 5 dB, but not much more (in my ears). They have a good amount of ground tone, wherefore they sound quite warm.
Though, I don't really like the wide-bore tips. Why? They are too thin-walled and flabby, wherefore it takes me some time to get a good fit and seal.

With the narrow-bore tips, bass and ground-tone increase by about 1.5 dB, but ground-tone also extends higher, wherefore lows sound mightier. Though, the narrow bore tips smooth out the middle treble, making it sound better. Fit and seal are much easier to achieve with the narrow-bore tips for me.

Either way, sub-bass rolls off with both, but less with the narrow-bore tips.

Resolution etc. are good for the price, but I see them below the M3, although a bit above the R3 and also above the Jive, although the Jive's midrange may appear to be better resolving due to his somewhat present emphasis, but the S3 reveals more details in the mids. Bass is more arid than the M3's, however S3's lows are a bit less detailed.

More impressions to follow in my reviews.

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #60 of 316
I don't know folks, I'm going to say the bass is just fine here, using the standard smoked hybrid tips included. Bass heads won't complain, that's for sure. It's neither lacking nor muddy, just right for the signature presented. Mids are fine, highs are also fine. There really is no lacking here anywhere, a nice job by Brainwavz on tuning these. Now have 3 full days burn in (60+ hours total) on them, and they have settled down as far as I think they will go, which is fine by me. I like these quite a bit, and will post a review soon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back