The New Brainwavz S3 “Silver Bullet” Earphones with Clearwavz Remote & Microphone
Sep 25, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #61 of 316
  I don't know folks, I'm going to say the bass is just fine here, using the standard smoked hybrid tips included. Bass heads won't complain, that's for sure. It's neither lacking nor muddy, just right for the signature presented. Mids are fine, highs are also fine. There really is no lacking here anywhere, a nice job by Brainwavz on tuning these. Now have 3 full days burn in (60+ hours total) on them, and they have settled down as far as I think they will go, which is fine by me. I like these quite a bit, and will post a review soon. 

Is the cable that that on the S1 and S5 or is it more like the S0 cable. It's hard to tell in pictures but it looks like the S1/S5 cable. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #62 of 316

Is the cable that that on the S1 and S5 or is it more like the S0 cable. It's hard to tell in pictures but it looks like the S1/S5 cable. 

S5 definitely. It's a rubbery, but well relieved, cable. Looks tough to me as well 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #63 of 316
Hmmm even I would've appreciated a bit more subbass, especially deeper extension....

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #65 of 316
I have to agree with dragon2knight, this is actually the most pleasing tuning I have heard from Brainwavz. This doesn't mean it will be for everyone, BA driver lovers will obviously want to look elsewhere, and anyone who wants to live either in the extremes of bass or treble, or prefer extreme neutrality will also not be happy. But in my opinion all those sound signatures I just mentioned start to be specialized groups of users which Brainwavz can not afford to cater to on an $80 IEM. I do think the S3 should be listenable to even those groups though, it just won't fully satisfy them. My usual concern with an all rounder like the S3 is whether it will be easily forgotten because it plays it to safe and is therefore boring. But the S3 actually manages to push the edges of sharpness and contrast just enough to sound lively and engaging so has avoided this pitfall. It doesn't slay my $700 XBA-Z5 but I think it plays well against its price range up to the $200 mark sonic wise which is good.

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #66 of 316
I'll have to try mine again. They have been burning in non stop since Tuesday evening. So by tonight they will have 72 hours on them. I tried them quickly again Wednesday night after a full 24 hours of burn in and they sounded the same to me. Maybe they don't pair nice with my M9, or there is maybe some other reason, but to me they were pretty un-listenable with the type of music I usually enjoy on my neutral and analytical headphones. I tried a few different tips, both wide bore and narrow bore, single flange and double flange. They were bass heavy and very warm sounding compared to what I'm used to. All the headphones I normally use are listed in my forum signature. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #67 of 316
I'll have to try mine again. They have been burning in non stop since Tuesday evening. So by tonight they will have 72 hours on them. I tried them quickly again Wednesday night after a full 24 hours of burn in and they sounded the same to me. Maybe they don't pair nice with my M9, or there is maybe some other reason, but to me they were pretty un-listenable with the type of music I usually enjoy on my neutral and analytical headphones. I tried a few different tips, both wide bore and narrow bore, single flange and double flange. They were bass heavy and very warm sounding compared to what I'm used to. All the headphones I normally use are listed in my forum signature. 
you might just need a more analytical or neutral IEM which is fine. Not everyone will like this presentation especially if they have got used to specific type of sound. For me I have grown used to my Z7 and Z5 products from Sony and now I find a lot of headphones to sound "off" to me that I used to like and I really can't handle brighter sounding headphones anymore as they are to fatiguing for me now. So if you have a listen and still don't like the S3 don't sweat it.

Sep 25, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #68 of 316
you might just need a more analytical or neutral IEM which is fine. Not everyone will like this presentation especially if they have got used to specific type of sound. For me I have grown used to my Z7 and Z5 products from Sony and now I find a lot of headphones to sound "off" to me that I used to like and I really can't handle brighter sounding headphones anymore as they are to fatiguing for me now. So if you have a listen and still don't like the S3 don't sweat it.

The problem is that I'm supposed to review them. I have trouble reviewing something I can't stand to use. I don't want to say they suck, because I'm sure that's not the case, they just don't sound like my preference. Reviewers have it hard. Lol

Sep 25, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #69 of 316

The problem is that I'm supposed to review them. I have trouble reviewing something I can't stand to use. I don't want to say they suck, because I'm sure that's not the case, they just don't sound like my preference. Reviewers have it hard. Lol

I'd really like to see the S3 compared to the Brainwavz S0, S1 and S5. I guess they will get comped to these in someones review.

Sep 25, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #72 of 316
LOL I hear you in that note :). I have had to struggle through a few reviews when I didn't like the product. I usually try to establish my personal tastes up front and be clear that my lack of enthusiasm is a direct reflection of the fact the product is running against them. I then try to just describe the signature for what it is and evaluate the technical merits of the IEM. I often end up writing a lot about the physical qualities of those products as much as the sonic qualities. I also hate being just negative which makes it hard but have had a few products that were bad enough that I simply laid out the facts and accepted that I might never get to review another product for that company again and was OK with that. I do know that the better reviewers, the professional/near professional ones actually only review products they feel are worthy or occasionally the ones they feel people need to be warned about.

Sep 25, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #74 of 316
EDIT: Didn't realize BW changed all s-series IEM to S0-type cables. Comments below pertain to older S1 and S5.

Just cracked the case open. I swear someone asked about whether S3 had the same cable as S5 earlier in the thread. The answer is a definitive NO. The cable, plug, strain reliefs, and y-splitter are the smaller ones used with S0. Much more manageable IMHO than those used with S1 and S5. Nice!

Sep 25, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #75 of 316
Really struggling with how to describe the sound of these.

[Enter choose your own adventure mode]

The BASS, MIDS, and/or TREBLE are RECESSED, JUST RIGHT, and/or TOO PROMINENT.

There, that should be a description everyone can agree with.

#jkjkjk

Fo realz: I haven't listened to them yet - watching 2yo this morning...

:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back