The new Balanced Ultra Desktop!
May 3, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #46 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi folks. I have a question for either George or Tyll. Can we have the user manuals for the Balanced Ultra Amp and Balanced Ultra DAC posted to their respective product pages and the HR Amp manuals page when they are ready?

Oh, and a second question comes to mind: Are the Balanced Ultras both really 5.5'' in height? On the product pages it made some comment about managing to fit the max modules into the Desktop form factor, but 5.5'' sounds like there's a new enclosure for the Balanced Desktop models.

Thanks and Cheers.

x2

May 3, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #47 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the Balanced Ultras both really 5.5'' in height? On the product pages it made some comment about managing to fit the max modules into the Desktop form factor, but 5.5'' sounds like there's a new enclosure for the Balanced Desktop models.

5.5" would be the approximate height of the Ultra Desktop DAC (UDD) and BUDA stacked, one on top of the other. Thus, the enclosures are probably the standard desktop size.

The problem with the balanced desktop is room. It can't house both maxes, the e-module and DAC. The compromise is BUDA and the UDD. BUDA incorporates max electronics modules but the trade-off is removal of the max DAC. And this is where the UDD comes in -- it houses the max DAC. Together, we have the maxed desktop balanced.

At least, this is how I see it.

But you bring up an interesting design issue: Would it be a good idea to expand the desktop enclosure so that there's enough room for both maxes and the balanced components? Perhaps extending higher or deeper? Or is there a point of diminishing returns where the added size becomes awkward and factors such as heat or noise become a problem?

May 4, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #48 of 55
Well I was more interested in the manual really
wink.gif

May 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #49 of 55
Manuals should be done soon. We'll post them as soon as they're done.

May 6, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #51 of 55
Feifan sez:"The BUDA incorporates max electronics modules but the trade-off is removal of the max DAC. And this is where the UDD comes in -- it houses the max DAC. Together, we have the maxed desktop balanced."

Hello All,

Just to clarify, the new HR Ultra DAC does not use the HeadRoom Max DAC stage; it employs a brand-new ESS Technologies ES9908 'Sabre' DAC chipset which we feel to be significantly superior-sounding and delivers the most impressive audio measurement specs we've ever achieved from any DAC. Hence, the "UDAC" is basically a completely new topology for us.

The new HeadRoom Ultra DAC and HeadRoom BUDA [Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp] will both be housed in our standard 'Desktop ' chassis.
bigsmile_face.gif

Cheers,

Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

May 7, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #52 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to clarify, the new HR Ultra DAC does not use the HeadRoom Max DAC stage; it employs a brand-new ESS Technologies ES9908 'Sabre' DAC chipset which we feel to be significantly superior-sounding and delivers the most impressive audio measurement specs we've ever achieved from any DAC. Hence, the "UDAC" is basically a completely new topology for us.

The new HeadRoom Ultra DAC and HeadRoom BUDA [Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp] will both be housed in our standard 'Desktop ' chassis. :bigsmile_face

Jorge, thanks for the correction! Now you've got my attention. Assuming that we want to upgrade, what would the most sensible step be for owners of the original HRDB? (1) To try to upgrade our current unit to a BUDA and (2) purchase the UDAC or to simply sell the HRDB and order the BUDA and UDAC?

May 7, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #54 of 55
JorgeC;5664146 said:
<snip>
The new HeadRoom Ultra DAC and HeadRoom BUDA [Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp] will both be housed in our standard 'Desktop ' chassis.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jorge,
In that case, I think there is a small error in the dimensions specified on the product pages for the BUDA and the UDDA. When I checked a couple of days ago, the height of each unit was listed as 5.5''. The Desktop enclosures are only 3'' or so in height.

Cheers.

May 7, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #55 of 55
If we want to run the ultra dac through a non-balanced amp, would the best setup be the ultra dac with a 'no dac max amp moduled desktop amp'? How much would such a setup be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back