The new Audio Technica ATH-PRO7X
Sep 11, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #16 of 20
Hi Zioxious,

Shure 1540 is still not a bad choice but yeah, not portable is not helpful, hope you find something which suits.

Hope you have a great day !

May 27, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #17 of 20
No one has tried one yet?

Looks to be using ATH-ESW9 earpads. Hopefully the drivers are much higher fidelity, though.

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #18 of 20
I picked up a Pro7x. It rocks! At least for us audiophiles anyway. It has a really fun V-shaped signature, and the midrange has deep and nuanced soundstaging with great width, very "out of your head", plenty of clarity and resolution for a sub-$200 closed headphone (up there with the best in this category like K371, DT770, SRH840, and HRM7), no harshness; big, mildly boomy and deep bass; it just lacks a little more openness to its sound in the treble. The midrange also exhibits a mild smoothness that's really pleasant, as opposed the more "etched" sound of other pro audio headphones. Ear positioning sweet spot seems to be a little low, sitting the headphone too high mars the overall sound a bit and brightens up the sound. I took a peak inside and saw that AT actually bothered to acoustically treat the cups with the same material they use in M50x. No wonder the soundstaging is so nice, though there is room for improvement. Imaging is the best in this price category, HRM7 and my modified K371 fall a little behind Pro7x's more 3D soundstaging. It does beat HRM7 in resolution a good bit, I think it tops even DT770, though I no longer own one to compare to directly. HRM7 falls behind DT770 here by very little and Pro7x beats HRM7 by a fair margin out of my Audio-gd rig.

On the downside, comfort is so-so. its earpads are too soft, the headband padding is too thin, surely some folks will dislike the pressure on the head and the driver baffles pressing up against their outer ears (the pressure is quite tolerable for me). Poor isolation, too. Treble clarity isn't good, though thicker earpads may likely help here.
I'll definitely look into an upgrade headband pad off of fleabay, perhaps something a little smaller than an HD280 headband pad as the Pro7x headband is narrower.

For a DJ can, I don't think I'd recommend this over the popular and punchier Sennheiser HD25, but I'm no expert on this. For any hi-fi enthusiast looking for a compact, fun headphone with great clarity and isolation is not critical, this is a potentially superb choice.

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #19 of 20
hmmm personally haveing heard the pro7x I agree with with max max somewhat. Personally I find it way too V shape for me but its done in a good way with minimal bluring of the male vocals. Personally I would rec the pro5x as its much more cleanly tuned W shape and the over ear design is comfy as well.

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #20 of 20
Just noticed that this thread isn't in the forum that I'd prefer for my previous post to be seen in, D'OH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back