The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Feb 25, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #1,366 of 4,136
I apologize if I gave you that impression, but CMSS-3D Headphone works with all games. It just works better with games that use the APIs in question.
If CMSS-3D works with everything, then it seems like I could just buy a cheaper X-Fi card. I was only interested in the Titanium HD because I thought I needed THX TruStudio as well for games that didn't support CMSS-3D, and I think it's the only one that supports THX TruStudio.

I wish there was a simple table somewhere that compared all the various different cards that Creative offers, and what features they support.

If you insist on running an external DAC, then the non-HD X-Fi Titanium models will be fine, and save you a bit of cash in the process. (I don't bother with external DACs, and the only one I've got-a JVC/Victor SU-DH1 Dolby Headphone processor-is noticeably worse than the Titanium HD regarding analog output.)
Well I don't want to run long unbalanced audio cables through the walls, especially from the analogue output of a soundcard. With an external DAC, I can use a digital format (Toslink/Coax) that won't suffer any degradation. With Toslink/Coax, I have also found external boxes that let me set a manual delay, so that I can sync audio to my TV without needing HDMI.

As for HDMI, if you absolutely need HDMI audio output, you have ONE option, and that's the elusive Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD.
I don't need HDMI, but HDMI means that I don't require an external DAC, and that audio is automatically synced up to my TV.

If that Auzentech card offers CMSS-3D, that may actually work quite well, and it would definitely be a cheaper option.

I have been thinking of purchasing a new DAC/Amp for some time now though, and now that I have found a digital delay box, it wouldn't require HDMI.

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #1,367 of 4,136
Quote:
If CMSS-3D works with everything, then it seems like I could just buy a cheaper X-Fi card. I was only interested in the Titanium HD because I thought I needed THX TruStudio as well for games that didn't support CMSS-3D, and I think it's the only one that supports THX TruStudio.

I wish there was a simple table somewhere that compared all the various different cards that Creative offers, and what features they support.
Well I don't want to run long unbalanced audio cables through the walls, especially from the analogue output of a soundcard. With an external DAC, I can use a digital format (Toslink/Coax) that won't suffer any degradation. With Toslink/Coax, I have also found external boxes that let me set a manual delay, so that I can sync audio to my TV without needing HDMI.
I don't need HDMI, but HDMI means that I don't require an external DAC, and that audio is automatically synced up to my TV.

If that Auzentech card offers CMSS-3D, that may actually work quite well, and it would definitely be a cheaper option.

I have been thinking of purchasing a new DAC/Amp for some time now though, and now that I have found a digital delay box, it wouldn't require HDMI.

cmss-3d is software
you can try it if you have realtec

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #1,371 of 4,136
CMSS-3D Headphone on a real X-Fi card with Game Mode still works a bit better to my ears, though. The software variant doesn`t have MacroFX or Elevation Filter adjustments, and then there are the occasional quirks with Creative`s software OpenAL device in general.

But aside from that, the software variant does work surprisingly well for something not hardware DSP-based.

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #1,372 of 4,136
Hey, its me again.

So i have decided to get a pair of sr-407's a tiny step down from sr-507 and cost $500 less, and a refurbished srm-1 mk2 which i found on ebay for $517~ usd 

BUT

i still dont know what sound card to get to connect to the srm-1.

Creative X-Fi titanium 
or
Asus Xonar Essence STX

and what type of wire to use to connect sound card to amp

again, please help

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #1,373 of 4,136
If you do a lot of gaming, I'd go with a Titanium HD. If gaming isn't that big of a deal to you, it comes down to what card has the (non-gaming) features you want.

With either card, you'd likely want to use a digital output (using a digital coaxial cable, for example) to make the run to your receiver.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #1,375 of 4,136
Question regarding setting up virtual surround with an X-fi card in Windows 7.

I was playing Dead Space 2 (and other games) for quite a while before I realized I had been doing it all wrong it would seem.

My Creative setting had CMSS-3D turned on but my windows and game settings were set to 2.1 and Stereo respectively.

This was OK. Direction was decent but what really felt missing was a sense of presentation in an open space. It was not nearly as good as with my Astro Mixamp on my PS3 (Dolby Headphone). I thought it was simply the difference between the tech.

So, I read that I should have set Windows to 7.1 and the game to 5.1 (it's highest setting) and the X-fi card to CMSS-3D on and headphone.

I did this and I must say it makes quite a difference. I only did this last night and I feel like I still need to get used to the somewhat jarring change. I think that in every way it counts it is better. That is except for one.

THE PROBLEM: I noticed that when the sounds get "busy" as in monsters scream while a hatch is slamming shut and something explodes there are notches in the sound. There are times when some sounds get a piece of them cut out. This was not happening when I was set to 2.1

THE CAUSE??: I suspect that this might have something to do with the speaker settings in Windows. After choosing 7.1 you are asked to select some check boxes. The first asks what speakers you have. The next asks which of your speakers are Satellite speakers (something about Dynamic Range) 

Does anyone know what the correct settings are and what might cause this problem. Thank you in advance.

Windows 7 x64, Sound Blaster X-fi Xtreme Gamer, Objective2 Amp, AKG Q701

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #1,376 of 4,136
Quote:
The SRM-1 mk2 only supports 1/4'' RCA input, does either soundcards support that?

They both have RCA output. The STX does not have dolby headphone through the RCA output, but you can get a an adapter for headphone out to RCA.

I don't think there's a such thing as 1/4" RCA though, are you sure that's right? I mean they do have this kind of cable: http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-CPR201-Dual-Inch/dp/B000068O16 , but that's not technically RCA; it's an RCA to dual mono 1/4" TRS cables. I don't see why an amp would have that as an input.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #1,377 of 4,136
For reference: 

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=96663&AID=10274033&PID=3891137

This would seem to say that my settings are correct yet they introduce a problem. Any suggestions/comments?

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #1,378 of 4,136
Quote:
The SRM-1 mk2 only supports 1/4'' RCA input, does either soundcards support that?

Any decent RCA cable will do. Just connect the Titanium HD's RCA outputs to the amp's RCA inputs. Couldn't be more straightforward.

And yes, CMSS-3D Headphone carries over the Titanium HD's RCA outputs, no need to adapt the headphone output.

Quote:
For reference: 

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=96663&AID=10274033&PID=3891137

This would seem to say that my settings are correct yet they introduce a problem. Any suggestions/comments?

Not sure on that. I don't notice the problem you mention about sounds being "notched" or having something missing from them.

I do have all the speakers marked as "full-range" in Windows, though.

Mar 1, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #1,380 of 4,136
Eh... ok, another question. when i use such a high end headphone, when i use youtube or any low quality music, will it sound bad? can is 256kbps music good enough? or do i need to get lossless?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back