The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Jan 3, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #1,186 of 4,136
Sry for bumping but since i didnt get an answer i believe that it wont be any problem regarding amp on prelude.
I have finally decided to buy K-701 since Q-701 dont seem to worth the extra 100e just for gaming and some movies.
I am also going to use O2 Headphone Amp to drive the headphones all that connected to my prelude. I was thinking about the Fiio E9K but i cant find it in any logical price in europe. I am also going to give a try to this mic, its very cheap and has some good ratings.
Any hints are welcome:wink_face:

Double-amping usually works out ok, I have the headphone-out port of my soundcard plugged into a tube amp, then my Q701s into that, and I don't get any hiss, scratching, or other noticeable distortions. Ideally I'd just use an analogue line-out signal from my soundcard to my amp, that's not an option for me but might be an option for you. Use the RCA jacks to connect to the amp, if your card has them.

FWIRead the O2 is a slightly better amp than the E9 anyway.

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #1,187 of 4,136
I have an old Kenwood receiver that I'm using for my home theater setup temporarily while my main Rotel receiver is being fixed. My plan is to use the Kenwood for my computer when I get my Rotel back. The Kenwood has a dedicated headphone out jack (1/4in) in the front and yesterday I plugged my Koss TBSE/DJ100 into it and was amazed at how much better they sounded amped. I'll probably have to play around with the setup to see if the amp is bypassed in some odd way using different input/outputs. The Kenwood doesn't have surround built in so I will have to use my TB PX5 unit at some point in the setup to get DH. My question is how do you think I should set up the receiver with my PC?

My gear is;
- Kenwood vr-509
- Koss TBSE/DJ100
- Koss KSC75
- Onboard Sound with optical out (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec)
- Turtle Beach PX5 for DH

The kenwood has optical out that I could run to the PX5 but I'm assuming that optical won't benefit from the amp so should I use RCA out to the PX5?

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #1,188 of 4,136
Well, the PX5 would be nicely amped that way, but the headphones wouldn't see the boost. I don't know if the PX5 has an optical input, but you would have to chain it before the amp. Soundcard-->Px5-->kenwood-->headphones

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #1,189 of 4,136
Ohh ya, good idea, I totally spaced that option. I love the PX5 because it has more options than most DH units, Optical in and out, RCA in, and 3.5mm headphone out so your not stuck using the wireless HPs (which are actually pretty decent).

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #1,191 of 4,136
I have a Xonar D2 and a Dacmagic DAC > NAD 326Bee amplifier > Headphones

This is fine for music but I would REALLY like to get dolby headphone to work in games when running through my dac / amplifier although I am not sure if this is possible, someone told me that there is a way of doing it?

Is it possible to do this? Or do the headphones have to be plugged directly into the soundcard?

Thanks much appreciated!

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #1,192 of 4,136
Quote:
I have a Xonar D2 and a Dacmagic DAC > NAD 326Bee amplifier > Headphones

This is fine for music but I would REALLY like to get Dolby headphone to work in games when running through my dac / amplifier although I am not sure if this is possible, someone told me that there is a way of doing it?

Is it possible to do this? Or do the headphones have to be plugged directly into the soundcard?

Thanks much appreciated!

Newer models of Xonar cards (STX, ST, DX, DG) can pass Dolby Headphone thru the S/PDIF port.
Update to the latest drivers for the D2.
Then try the setting for surround sound.
Audio channels, set to 6 or 8
Sample rate, maybe 24/96

Does the analog out have a "Headphone" setting?
If so set to "Headphone"

Then enable S/PDIF output for PCM (not DDL).
Hopefully that works.

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #1,193 of 4,136
Actually yeh it works with the new drivers, with the old ones it just crashed.

Do you know what the best settings for "virtual headphone shifter" are?

Mainly I want it for positional audio on counter strike but it is a bit echoey and weird sounding on the settings u posted.

Thanks for the help.

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #1,194 of 4,136
I finally ordered a headphone set-up. AKG Q-701 Green(couldn't resist them
regular_smile .gif
) with O2 amp. I believe they will arive within 20 days and i will post my thoughs on gaming then.
Seems there are lot of opinions regarding headphones and amps, its all a matter of taste. Since i wont be hearing a lot of music with them, i have the mako's for the job, i believe that they will be perfect for their puprose.
I will also try the Q's alone with the prelude and see how it goes, i am just curius to see how much difference an Amp will like on them.

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #1,196 of 4,136
Quote:
Actually yeh it works with the new drivers, with the old ones it just crashed.
Do you know what the best settings for "virtual headphone shifter" are?
Mainly I want it for positional audio on counter strike but it is a bit echoey and weird sounding on the settings u posted..

I've never used the Virtual Headphone Shifter and know zero about it.
But try asking about it on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #1,198 of 4,136
I'd first like to thank Nameless for this great thread, answered a lot of my questions. Also, +1 on the guide for the X-Fi panel.

Today, I finally received a brand new Titanium HD, made the choice because I pretty much only play Project Reality (PR)- a mod for Battlefield 2. After inserting the card, installing driver package from the first post in this thread and trying everything in PR I have several questions:

1. I use an application called Volume2 to control in-game volume by simply holding down shift key and scrolling up and down with the mouse wheel. Because I also you Mumble and TeamSpeak with PR I set Volume2 to change the volume only for the 'active' application. However after setting PR audio to X-Fi and Ultra High volume control isn't working anymore. It works fine with everything else though. So my question would be what exactly happens to BF2 after setting audio to X-Fi? Does another applications take control of the sound?

2. I'm not sure if my Game Mode screen has the usual features. I don't really see CMSS-3D Headphone anywhere, just CMSS-3D. I took a few screenshots, just to clarify.

3. My microphone seems really quiet and I just can't find any +20dB boost options or anything similar. I have set everything else to 100%. It might also be the other way around, that my playback is set too high (100%).

That's about it, thanks for your time.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #1,199 of 4,136
Quote:

2. I'm not sure if my Game Mode screen has the usual features. I don't really see CMSS-3D Headphone anywhere, just CMSS-3D. I took a few screenshots, just to clarify.

You just need to turn it on and make sure your speakers are set to headphone on the bottom half of the panel(like it is for all but the top left screenshot).

Then just set the Window's playback options for it to 5.1 and you should be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back