The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Feb 13, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #3,331 of 4,136
Is this all correct? Or is it the other around for the stereo mix settings and playback settings, from what I read on another forum (still wouldn't make sense though, as Dolby Headphone doesn't work as soon as I set the default playback device to Speaker).  I'm just trying to make sure I'm listening 100% to the dac and just using the Xonar as a DSP only.

Thanks.

the dac you are using is usb? The spdif passthrough device is a direct path to the optical transmitter, so no processing is being done. If you want the dsp, you have to listen to  Speakers - Asus Xonar DG.

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #3,332 of 4,136
  the dac you are using is usb? The spdif passthrough device is a direct path to the optical transmitter, so no processing is being done. If you want the dsp, you have to listen to  Speakers - Asus Xonar DG.

THe DAC I'm using is SPDIF. How is no processing being done if I hear Dolby Headphone being used? The playback device is set to Speakers - Xonar DG but the Stereo Mix is set to SPDIF passthrough. I thought that was the way to use my external DAC but still being able to use the XOnar DG as a dsp.

If I set the playback device to Speakers and I'm listening to Speakers - Asus XOnar DG as well, there's an echo effect and it's unlistenable. If I do the opposite of what I originally did, I can't use Dolby Headphone at all and can't use the soundcard as a dsp.

Feb 14, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #3,333 of 4,136
  THe DAC I'm using is SPDIF. How is no processing being done if I hear Dolby Headphone being used? The playback device is set to Speakers - Xonar DG but the Stereo Mix is set to SPDIF passthrough. I thought that was the way to use my external DAC but still being able to use the XOnar DG as a dsp.

If I set the playback device to Speakers and I'm listening to Speakers - Asus XOnar DG as well, there's an echo effect and it's un-listenable. If I do the opposite of what I originally did, I can't use Dolby Headphone at all and can't use the soundcard as a dsp.

Why is the stereo mix enabled or even being used?
I really know zero about the Stereo mix stuff, but I'm assuming you have no need for it.

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Xonar DG?

In the playback tab, you do want the Speaker Xonar DG Audio device set as the default audio device.
But you do not want to use any pass-though enabled or used, as it would bypass all the Xonar DG's audio features, like Dolby headphone.

Feb 14, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #3,334 of 4,136

Why is the stereo mix enabled or even being used?
I really know zero about the Stereo mix stuff, but I'm assuming you have no need for it.

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Xonar DG?

In the playback tab, you do want the Speaker Xonar DG Audio device set as the default audio device.
But you do not want to use any pass-though enabled or used, as it would bypass all the Xonar DG's audio features, like Dolby headphone.

Yes, and that's what I did. The Motherboard's on-board audio has been disabled since I received it. As far as why I'm enabling the stereo mix, this comes from reading posts in this thread. I was assuming stereo mix -> listen to this device: SPDIF Passthrough device would let me listen purely to the DAC when I'm not using Dolby headphone. I can listen to Dolby Headphone this way, but when no signal is present there is a faint sshhh sound that goes away as soon as an audio signal is present.

Before, all I did was use Speakers as the default device and didn't bother with the Stereo Mix but reading through this thread, I saw mentions and steps of enabling the Stereo Mix for multi-channel Dolby Headphone. So I'm trying to find that out from someone with experience with this.

Is setting up the Stereo Mix useless and just setting Speakers Xonar DG as default device is all that it takes to listen to my DAC with DSP settings from the soundcard? I'm inexperienced and just trying to make sure I listen to Dolby headphone through the DAC and not the Xonar DG's DAC. 

Feb 14, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #3,335 of 4,136

Yes, and that's what I did. The Motherboard's on-board audio has been disabled since I received it. As far as why I'm enabling the stereo mix, this comes from reading posts in this thread. I was assuming stereo mix -> listen to this device: SPDIF Passthrough device would let me listen purely to the DAC when I'm not using Dolby headphone. I can listen to Dolby Headphone this way, but when no signal is present there is a faint sshhh sound that goes away as soon as an audio signal is present.

Before, all I did was use Speakers as the default device and didn't bother with the Stereo Mix but reading through this thread, I saw mentions and steps of enabling the Stereo Mix for multi-channel Dolby Headphone. So I'm trying to find that out from someone with experience with this.

Is setting up the Stereo Mix useless and just setting Speakers Xonar DG as default device is all that it takes to listen to my DAC with DSP settings from the sound card? I'm inexperienced and just trying to make sure I listen to Dolby headphone through the DAC and not the Xonar DG's DAC. 

yes, you do want the Speaker Xonar DG as the default audio device, in the Playback tab.
Then you use the Xonar's control panel for choosing whether you want the DG to send audio out the line-outputs (back panel 3.5mm jacks) or the DG's S/PDIF optical output port.

It looks the "Stereo Mix" is for recording audio, not for playing back audio.
So I'm thinking you should leave it disabled.

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #3,336 of 4,136

yes, you do want the Speaker Xonar DG as the default audio device, in the Playback tab.
Then you use the Xonar's control panel for choosing whether you want the DG to send audio out the line-outputs (back panel 3.5mm jacks) or the DG's S/PDIF optical output port.

It looks the "Stereo Mix" is for recording audio, not for playing back audio.
So I'm thinking you should leave it disabled.

Yeah, I was reading too much into it even if it didn't make much sense. I feel pretty dumb lol.

Thanks.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #3,337 of 4,136
hi guys i have a creative zxr right now and use the surround option while gaming to 100 percent is that the best surround sound i can get for my headphones or is there a different option i heard creative zxr surround is done through software not hardware so is not as good as the older ones let me know thanks

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #3,338 of 4,136
You have  to find out which setting YOU like best. The default setting of 67% is a pretty good start or balanced option between more distinct, clear cues and more and more blending of them for a more "cinematic" experience (more home cinema). Towards 100% the cues blend into each other much more, the lesser the value the more distinct the cues until surround speakers are not noticably anymore which will lead to stereo (basically). 

I use 67%. 

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #3,340 of 4,136
Hello can I ask you guys something ?

I'm very interested in getting a dac/amp solution for my havi b3.
So far I'm in between the Asus Xonar DS, SMSL SD793-II, and Creative Sound Blaster Audigy PCIe RX

The asus and creative card seem a little more promising for its EAX support in games for 3d audio while the
smsl dac/amp would indicate a higher quality amp. So now I'm a little stuck in deciding which is best.

Any thoughts you guys ?

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #3,341 of 4,136
Hi all, does have any thoughts or know of a good comparision between latest Realtek ALC1150 vs Sound Core3D (with the full range of SBX studio features) for someone wanting to buy a new Z97 motherboard and not able to fit a soundcard due to lack of space? It seems to me that there is limited choice anyway, most 'premium' motherboards integrate Realtek 1150, just a few Gigabyte and EVGA have the Sound Core3D for this chipset generation. Any other alternatives? (the Creative X7 thing is way too expensive)

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #3,342 of 4,136
Which motherboard do you have right now? because your board may support X-FI MB3 software suite which does give SBX and features to your onboard. Another option you have is to get a Sound blaster omni which is usb and does have the SBX functions. Usually can be found cheap on amazon or ebay around 45-55ish if you are in the usa.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #3,343 of 4,136
My question is for a couple of new PCs to be built from scratch, so it's really a case of trying to make a best guess on which will be the most adequate substitute for CMSS-3D headphone. Right now I'm back to only using an old Core 2 Duo system with Linux, it's got some old Asus specific Realtek (ALC1200) which I'm not sure will give much insight into how the modern stuff works?

I'm mainly concerned with contemporary games this time (I do have a Titanium HD which will eventually find its' way into another system for retro games) and getting the best positional audio. Creative certainly talk the talk with the SBX Pro Studio, but I wonder if there is much, if any, advantage over the ALC1050 in terms of sense of immersion and location of sounds.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #3,344 of 4,136
You could give Razer Surround a try. I also use SBX Pro, but find myself switching between the two for different games.

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #3,345 of 4,136
Ho hum, I've looked through more of the available boards and as far as I can tell ALC1150 is the only option now for micro-ATX and mini-ITX (except for the EVGA Z97 Stinger, which appears to be a poor product at an insane price.) So by default one decision is made, it has to be Realtek.

As for a full size system, it would appear to be a choice between a Gigabyte GT and G1. G1 has the Sound Core3D (plus a couple of other minor differences) and is around $70-$80 more. I think Realtek might be better supported long term and across different operating systems, so actually that $70-$80 could be used to buy an Omni as suggested by genclaymore. Also, presumably Creative will at some point release other, cheaper versions of the X7 that don't have all the extra amps and unwanted stuff that just adds to the price. I'm favouring the cheaper board as a safer option as it could be more flexible.

Razer Surround looks interesting, especially with a free version to try, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back