The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Jan 25, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #3,316 of 4,136
So in windows, have Speakers (Sound Blaster Z) as the device? I don't see the option to configure windows to 5.1 (full range).
I have the modi powered by ac adapter to the wall, not by usb from the pc. Not sure if that's a problem, the modi isn't listed as a playback device on windows. 

To configure windows for 5.1, you will need to rightclick the windows speaker tray icon and click playback devices. Then click speakers/sbz, and click configure.

Make sure default audio is set to speakers/sbz, and not spdif out, otherwise you wont get any sound card processing.

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #3,319 of 4,136
Hello!

This is my first post. I really hope I won't break any rules or make someone angry.

I'll be honest. I did not read all the pages. But I think I got an overall idea of the topic. So now I'd like to clear things up for me.

Best possible audio quality can only be achived by wired connection? In my case I am searching for good wireless headphones for movies and gaming on pc, so the only option is to buy soundcard like Sounblaster Z or Xonar DX and wireless headphones like DS6500 or RS170 and connect them with optical cable in order to get best surround sound possible? And all the wireless gaming headsets leave me with only the software emulation of surround sound like Tactic 3D Rage with SBX Studio? And if so, how poor is software based surround sound processing compared to the same SBX Studio on Soundblaster Z card? Right now I have Tactic 3D Rage USB with SBX Studio and I have never compared them to something more serious or expensive. 

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #3,320 of 4,136
A "dedicated soundcard" is software layered on firmware layered on top of hardware, just like everything else computer. The difference is, a CPU is for general compute tasks while a DSP is a processor that only concerns itself with audio, with software that filters digital audio through maths, and then the Soundcard has a digital to analogue converter and an amp. If you have a processor and you're using separate DAC/amp components, well... The maths can stay the same. SBX studio is mostly the same (unless you're using speaker surround), so if the tactic rage3D has an optical out and a Z has an optical out, they out to have identical results. And if your computer has enough horsepower headroom, then the separately available SBX Studio software should also sound identical... Though creative's amp/DAC hardware is a respectable value too. I have their $400 X7 right here, and I'm quite pleased with it's processing, hardware components, and extra touch connectivity and control features.

I don't particularly like wireless because battery life, performance near low battery charge, "locked" into budget DAC/amp components (these DO vary in their sound quality output), etc. Thankfully, much progress has been made in limiting compression before wireless transmission, but I'm still not seeing an advantage to wireless unless you're afraid of tripping hazards. That said, it's not hard to get SBX surround processing to transmit wirelessly if your source is a PC.

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #3,321 of 4,136
Hello everybody!

I own Creative X-Fi Titanium HD and AKG Q701 headphones. I've always enjoyed good sound positioning in FPS games, but there hasn't been much in years. I really liked BF2's Ultra-high mode and played a mod for it up until a few months ago. Since then I switched to CS:GO and use AlChemy + "snd_legacy_surround 1" for best sound positioning. Unfortunately positioning in CS:GO still isn't that great (there's no way to tell up and down).

I have some questions about sound positioning in games nowadays and future possibilities.
-Is OpenAL still a viable option for game developers to use?
-Is OpenAL Software solution anywhere near a viable version for game devs to use?
-Does OpenAL (Soft) future looks bright at all?
-What is the state of Rapture3D? I know a few games use it, but is it actually any good, easy to work with etc.?

Or are consoles still dictating this stuff and nothing will be happening for years to come...

Thanks!

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #3,322 of 4,136
I sure there still some games that come out that uses it, it still viable in linux. Some games still have the option to select openAL but they usually are on Xaudio by default and reg a ini edition to switch, Like Certain Unreal engine games. The only games I know that uses rapture3D is the grid and dirt series of games. But I read you could some how use it with other games but I think with their paid version of the software, but I not sure as I haven't went to their site in a long while.

Main thing to blame is Devs using Xaudio2,Some are still using FmodEX which suppose to be OpenAl or part of it, but it been mostly Xaudio2 or their own house sound engine. I even see miles audio used some time still. It been nice if Xaudio goes away to never return.

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #3,323 of 4,136
  I sure there still some games that come out that uses it, it still viable in linux. Some games still have the option to select openAL but they usually are on Xaudio by default and reg a ini edition to switch, Like Certain Unreal engine games. The only games I know that uses rapture3D is the grid and dirt series of games. But I read you could some how use it with other games but I think with their paid version of the software, but I not sure as I haven't went to their site in a long while.

Main thing to blame is Devs using Xaudio2,Some are still using FmodEX which suppose to be OpenAl or part of it, but it been mostly Xaudio2 or their own house sound engine. I even see miles audio used some time still. It been nice if Xaudio goes away to never return.

Yes on Linux it's used a good bit. Borderlands, Portal, TF2, etc. all use it, though sometimes you have to tweak the configs to turn off the default audio library (e.g. TF2 defaults to Miles).

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #3,325 of 4,136
TF2 and other Source games use Miles surround, not AL.

Edit: missed that you notes that...what goes in the config?

I followed what was posted here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1fzonq/

Code:
 [color=rgb(34, 34, 34)]dsp_slow_cpu 1[/color] [color=rgb(34, 34, 34)]dsp_enhance_stereo 0[/color] [color=rgb(34, 34, 34)]snd_pitchquality 1[/color] [color=rgb(34, 34, 34)]snd_spatialize_roundrobin 1[/color]

Haven't played in a while so don't know if it's still applicable, but I recall after making these changes OpenAL indeed pops up in the list of loaded libraries.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #3,326 of 4,136

I followed what was posted here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1fzonq/

Code:
 [color=rgb(34, 34, 34)]dsp_slow_cpu 1[/color][color=rgb(34, 34, 34)]dsp_enhance_stereo 0[/color][color=rgb(34, 34, 34)]snd_pitchquality 1[/color][color=rgb(34, 34, 34)]snd_spatialize_roundrobin 1[/color]

Haven't played in a while so don't know if it's still applicable, but I recall after making these changes OpenAL indeed pops up in the list of loaded libraries.

None of those would turn Miles off. I know those commands, I made the most popular config in tf2 B]

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #3,327 of 4,136
  None of those would turn Miles off. I know those commands, I made the most popular config in tf2 B]

Well you can explain why OpenAL suddenly shows up in the loaded libraries when that combo is on, then
wink.gif
. And why the HRTF settings suddenly start working from the OpenAL config.

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #3,328 of 4,136
FWIR, or AFAIK, Borderlands 2 was the latest game to support OpenAL... And that required .ini editing, it wasn't in the standard sound settings. OpenAL is still free and available for game devs to use, but I simply haven't heard of them using it.

When the PS4 was new, there were reports that it's dedicated audio DSP was by AMD, their TrueAudio codec which can process headphone surround including height. It was originally developed for AMD's R***x graphics cards. There was a sample Youtube video of Lichdom playing with TrueAudio enabled (I've posted it in the link in my signature), and the Thief reboot for PC was the first released game to support it (update required). I have the PS4 version, and indeed it did come with a headphone mode, though I barely played the game and don't recall if the surround imaging was particularly good or not. Honestly, TrueAudio could've been the brightest future of headphone surround, but I haven't seen almost any mention of it for awhile except Toms Hardware soundcard's of the month articles on models including the feature. I haven't been looking all that hard for it, let us know if you find any news?

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #3,329 of 4,136
FWIR, or AFAIK, Borderlands 2 was the latest game to support OpenAL... And that required .ini editing, it wasn't in the standard sound settings. OpenAL is still free and available for game devs to use, but I simply haven't heard of them using it.

When the PS4 was new, there were reports that it's dedicated audio DSP was by AMD, their TrueAudio codec which can process headphone surround including height. It was originally developed for AMD's R***x graphics cards. There was a sample Youtube video of Lichdom playing with TrueAudio enabled (I've posted it in the link in my signature), and the Thief reboot for PC was the first released game to support it (update required). I have the PS4 version, and indeed it did come with a headphone mode, though I barely played the game and don't recall if the surround imaging was particularly good or not. Honestly, TrueAudio could've been the brightest future of headphone surround, but I haven't seen almost any mention of it for awhile except Toms Hardware soundcard's of the month articles on models including the feature. I haven't been looking all that hard for it, let us know if you find any news?

On Linux Steam, Borderlands 2 defaults to OpenAL (at the beginning the first thing I heard once the intro stopped was the robot talking behind me; took me by surprise). I'm sure support will waver on Linux and SteamOS as well, but it would be nice if another standard took its place, especially one that could support some number of HRTF profiles.

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #3,330 of 4,136
Hi,

I'm trying to configure my windows settings to use my Xonar DG as a 7.1 channel Dolby Headphone DSP for my external DAC. I think I did the correct steps. Only thing I left out is the Speakers multi-channel configuration:

And, finally, this is what my Xonar DG settings look like:

Is this all correct? Or is it the other around for the stereo mix settings and playback settings, from what I read on another forum (still wouldn't make sense though, as Dolby Headphone doesn't work as soon as I set the default playback device to Speaker).  I'm just trying to make sure I'm listening 100% to the dac and just using the Xonar as a DSP only.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back