The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Jan 12, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #3,286 of 4,136
For a clean Windows 8.1 install, download the isolation from their website. I'm on the phone right talking to my GF lol but google it and you can get more info about it. Seems like if you update from 8 to 8.1, problems start happening....
You can't just dl a win 8.1 iso and install if you only have a win 8 key. 8.1 iso will reject the win 8 key. There's a way around it tho, where you need to dl the win 8 iso, cancel it and then start dling the win 8.1 iso.

E: Here's a walkthrough

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #3,287 of 4,136
You can't just dl a win 8.1 iso and install if you only have a win 8 key. 8.1 iso will reject the win 8 key. There's a way around it tho, where you need to dl the win 8 iso, cancel it and then start dling the win 8.1 iso.

Thanks a ton, I'll keep this as a plan B after contacting Microsoft and seeing what they suggest (bought a retail upgrade for 8 instead of OEM, for possible support situations like this).

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #3,288 of 4,136

Forgot to mention about that. That is why I said to use Google :wink: to look for more info about it, since I was on my phone and talking with the GF....(GF was asking if I was paying attention n or not to what she was saying lol)

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #3,290 of 4,136
I need to start labeling all the different ones that I have. I have a few scattered around that has various version of Windows, linux distros, various boot utils, etc. I had them organized at one point but they've gotten outta hand now...

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #3,291 of 4,136
help me choose headphone choose to gaming PC with a SoundBlaster Z

AKG K 240                                  $ 76.71
AKG K 240 MK II                          $ 121.07
Sennheiser HD 598                       $ 153.99
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X         $ 180.46
AKG Q 701 (white)                        $ 184.95

I would like to have a bit of bass because I plan not buy another headphone for a long time

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #3,292 of 4,136
Hey,
Has anyone tried the virtual surround of the Sound Blaster X7 using a PS4? How are games and movies compared to stereo?
Deciding between this and the E5 which is alot cheaper, but if the sbx surround is worth it I would buy it.
Thanks

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #3,293 of 4,136
I use the x7 for my ps4, and bought it solely for that purpose.

I absolutely love it. The games sound great. And virtual surround is awesome.

You will hear a difference in sound quality instantly...that is until your brain becomes quickly accostomed to the new sound signature.

Make sure you use linear pcm on the ps4, thos way it sends out uncompressed sound.

Some people complain that the mkc on tje x7 is hard to get to work with (i think there is a workaround), but i use my ps4 camera as my mkc, so no issues there

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #3,295 of 4,136
Think of it this way...would you rather have high quality uncompressed audio sent to the x7, and then allow it to deal with virtual surround, or would you rather choose to have muddy sound?

The point of sbx is to convert stereo to virtual surround for a non-surround setup, such as headphones.

So, you will be sending out unprocessed and uncompressed stereo info to the x7, which will then apply virtuall surround to the source.

This will give you the best audio quality. Just make sure the ingame settings are set to 5.1 sound system, since that is what your replicating with vietual surround (it would send the directional info needed)

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #3,296 of 4,136
Think of it this way...would you rather have high quality uncompressed audio sent to the x7, and then allow it to deal with virtual surround, or would you rather choose to have muddy sound?

The point of sbx is to convert stereo to virtual surround for a non-surround setup, such as headphones.

So, you will be sending out unprocessed and uncompressed stereo info to the x7, which will then apply virtuall surround to the source.

This will give you the best audio quality. Just make sure the ingame settings are set to 5.1 sound system, since that is what your replicating with vietual surround (it would send the directional info needed)

Virtualizers are meant to take multichannel data and turn it into virtual surround on headphones via HRTFs. With stereo data, they can't reproduce any surround field; they would basically do what a crossfeed would do: make the stereo data sound a bit more forward/out-of-the-head.

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #3,297 of 4,136
Sorry, but that makes no sense. If i just wanted SBX to process PCM stereo, the E5 could do the exact same thing.
The point of the X7 is that it can decode DD 5.1, giving it way more positional information, which it can then use to create better surround. There is no way PCM-> surround should sound better than DD5.1-> surround.

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #3,298 of 4,136

Ah, what?
Options:
1.) You can have the PS4 output stereo LPCM.
This rounds down positional data to just left-right. If you have a game like The Last of Us or Battlefield 4 with built-in headphone surround, then positional data survives the PS4 output because it's already been "baked into" the stereo (TLOU has height processing, but I wasn't as impressed with the sense of soundstage as with SBX). This how I prefer listening to music sources.

2.) You can have the PS4 output stereo, and add SBX processing.
SBX can add "air" and push central sounds out further in front of you, but this isn't as positionally accurate as Dolby bitstreaming because you throw away all the rear positional data. I haven't tried this with SBX, but Dolby ProLogicIIx tried to "guess" when something was supposed to come from behind, and overall the effect was inconsistent and sometimes weird. If you have a game like The Last of Us or Battlefield 4 with built-in headphone surround, then positional data survives the PS4 output because it's already been "baked into" the stereo, but in that case you wouldn't want to use SBX at all (as this would cause more processing than just bitstreaming Dolby). If you're gaming this way, you might as well get the less expensive E5 instead if the X7's other distinguishing features aren't necessary for you.

3.) You can have the PS4 output Dolby, and the SBX processing translates that to virtual headphone surround.
This option actually has less fidelity degradation than adding surround processing to stereo, and having the DSP trying to "guess" what direction things come from. Dolby + Creative's surround processing has been my preferred gaming audio experience for 3+ years (since the 360).

Bigbeard, I know you're new here, but I challenge you to listen to option 1 and write out how option 3 has aspects of it's sounds worse than option 1. Obviously SBX will have more "distance" in the sound, but point out how compression affects option 3's bass, mids, treble, instrument separation, believable tone realism, "harshness," and other aspects of compression. I think you'll find that the compression is pretty light, or maybe even indistinguishable since games don't feature high-definition audio, and overall you'll get tired of the analysis and come to the conclusion that the only appreciable difference with game audio is how much better the positional imaging is in option 3. If you have a BluRay HD audio disc, WELL PROBABLY you will hear the sound degrade a bit, I don't know I don't have any of those. Or maybe, you'll subjectively disagree, I have met about two or three people a year who doggedly prefer stereo while gaming, and that's personal taste and therefor I can't say your taste is wrong (but maybe bad :wink: ).

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #3,299 of 4,136
I apologize for giving misguided advice. I based my opinions on what i have learned, albeit mistakingly. My readings from other sites made me come to my previous conclusions.

Now that i think about it, what i previously said was illogical. I game on pc too, and would never use stereo in windows and games, and then solely rely on my SBZ to simulate surround.

I was under the impression that ljnear pcm undergoing dsp is the best setup. There is a lot misinformation out there, and i appreciate the input.

So, to make it clear to myself, selecting dolby digital in ps4 settings, turn sbx (on the x7), and set in game settings to 5.1 or home theater would give me the best gaming audio?

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #3,300 of 4,136
Hey guys,

I recently bought the schiit magni 2 uber and modi 2 uber and I just got the soundblaster z card yesterday that I plan to hook up to the schiit stack for surround. I'm having some buyer's remorse thinking I should have just bought the X7 instead. Can anyone comment on how the schiit stack/sounblaster z combo compares in quality to the X7? If they're comparable, I'll keep the setup I have but if the X7 is superior then I would return or sell my current setup and get the X7 instead.

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back