The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Sep 15, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #3,076 of 4,136
I've posted in MLE's thread but was referred here to get more info on PC surround gaming.

CONTEXT:
okay. I finally have funds to buy a new headphone to replace the Sony PULSE Elite Wireless
so I basically have 5 platforms I would use my headphones on.
(1) Vita/3DS
(2) PS4 (and PS3)
(3) PC -currently using Audinst HUD-MX1- (which I'll also use for Music and Movies -no specific genres!-)

I am thinking of getting one of the following 4 headphones
Senn HD598
Philips Fidelio X1
Audio Technica AD700X
Kingston HyperX Cloud Headset

I was also thinking of getting
- ASTRO Mixamp for PS4 Surround (recommended?)
- V-MODA BoomPro mic for chat

Concerns
- Comfort: I have a large head (Hat size would be like 73/4
- Mods: Can I easily change the cups, cables, etc... so as to ensure I use this setup for as long as possible
- I remember asking how I can do surround on PC in this thread before... but I don't have much choices right? and using the Mixamp on PC isn't recommended?

tl;dr - what should I get to get surround sound for gaming and movies on PC (and perhaps increase my music enjoyment or is my Audinst HUD-MX1 good enough?)

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #3,077 of 4,136
I've posted in MLE's thread but was referred here to get more info on PC surround gaming.

CONTEXT:
okay. I finally have funds to buy a new headphone to replace the Sony PULSE Elite Wireless
so I basically have 5 platforms I would use my headphones on.
(1) Vita/3DS
(2) PS4 (and PS3)
(3) PC -currently using Audinst HUD-MX1- (which I'll also use for Music and Movies -no specific genres!-)

I am thinking of getting one of the following 4 headphones
Senn HD598
Philips Fidelio X1
Audio Technica AD700X
Kingston HyperX Cloud Headset

I was also thinking of getting
- ASTRO Mixamp for PS4 Surround (recommended?)
- V-MODA BoomPro mic for chat

Concerns
- Comfort: I have a large head (Hat size would be like 73/4
- Mods: Can I easily change the cups, cables, etc... so as to ensure I use this setup for as long as possible
- I remember asking how I can do surround on PC in this thread before... but I don't have much choices right? and using the Mixamp on PC isn't recommended?

tl;dr - what should I get to get surround sound for gaming and movies on PC (and perhaps increase my music enjoyment or is my Audinst HUD-MX1 good enough?)
First off, If you have a big head, skip the Kingston HyperX; It's a rebrand of QPad which is a rebrand of Takstar. They run small. I wear a 7.5 fitted cap and I'm nearly maxed out on my pair of HI2050s. I can max them out and still wear them comfortably. Addressing just the PC front, no experience with console setups, with any of those headphones, all you'll need is a sound card that can do positional and they should run just fine. They're all low ohm, high efficiency cans so no need to get an amp. Boompro mic will not work with the AD700x (Non replaceable cable). Should work fine with the X1 and the HD598.

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #3,079 of 4,136
You can usually find a Z and a omni cheap if your lucky, The only reason to get the omni is if you don't have any free PCi-E slots, or get bus noises in your sound like I do. Other wise get a Z.  I dont know if you are in the usa or not but amazon and ebay usually have both cheap used.

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #3,081 of 4,136
thanks guys! appreciate the help!

guess I'm at the final stage now
-ordered the Philips Fidelio X1 + BoomPro

now I just can't decide between these
ASTRO Mixamp
Sound Blaster Z
Sound Blaster Zx
Omni
Recon3D

I'm reading that with the last four options, I can skip the ASTRO Mixamp altogether and use the PS4 optical out? and output to my headphones?

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #3,082 of 4,136
  thanks guys! appreciate the help!

guess I'm at the final stage now
-ordered the Philips Fidelio X1 + BoomPro

now I just can't decide between these
ASTRO Mixamp
Sound Blaster Z
Sound Blaster Zx
Omni
Recon3D

I'm reading that with the last four options, I can skip the ASTRO Mixamp altogether and use the PS4 optical out? and output to my headphones?

I mentioned in the other thread that you posted in that if you want to send your PS4 audio into the sound cards and the omni you would have to use the line in to do it.  The sound blaster Z is the successor to the recon3D series so there no need to even get the recon3d let alone think about it.  The Omni and the sound blaster Z is very similar to each other.  The optical connection that is on the Z and the omni is for output not input. Also the ZX is the same card as the Z just with a mic which you don't need. You may have to get the Astro mixamp to use with your PS4 unless you use the line in like I mentioned if you want to route it thru the omni or the Z.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #3,083 of 4,136
  Just picked up an Asus U3 and have it going into my bifrost via toslink.  I'm trying to play CS:GO with dolby headphone and it sounds HORRIBLE.  It's like I'm running around in a vacuum.  Windows and the game are set to 5.1 and asus software is set to dolby headphone.  Anything I can do to fix it?  Otherwise I'm just going to return this thing because it doesn't work for the game whatsoever. 

This post is really old, but I think the issue is that you have the wrong default device selected. You are supposed to select speakers (asus xonar), not spdif digital device (asus xonar). Another thing you can do to slightly improve quality is use the snd_legacy_surround 1 command with GX mode enabled. GX mode is analogous to Alchemy for creative sound card users. 

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #3,084 of 4,136

I mentioned in the other thread that you posted in that if you want to send your PS4 audio into the sound cards and the omni you would have to use the line in to do it.  The sound blaster Z is the successor to the recon3D series so there no need to even get the recon3d let alone think about it.  The Omni and the sound blaster Z is very similar to each other.  The optical connection that is on the Z and the omni is for output not input. Also the ZX is the same card as the Z just with a mic which you don't need. You may have to get the Astro mixamp to use with your PS4 unless you use the line in like I mentioned if you want to route it thru the omni or the Z.

Can you do the same thing with an asus soundcard? I don't know the thread you're mentioning (since I'm obviously not who you are speaking to) but I'm assuming using the line in is just using a line cable from ps4 to soundcard? 

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #3,085 of 4,136
  Can you do the same thing with an asus soundcard? I don't know the thread you're mentioning (since I'm obviously not who you are speaking to) but I'm assuming using the line in is just using a line cable from ps4 to soundcard? 

Yes you can, You merely use a female RCA to 3.5 male cable or adapter to do it to do it.

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #3,086 of 4,136
Check this out:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/732171/creative-sound-blaster-e5-headphone-amp-usb-dac-with-otg-toslink-aptx-recording-more

Finally we can use USB and still get binaural surround (via SBX Pro Studio)? Built-in microphone, too!

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #3,087 of 4,136

Not entirely correct, but mostly right end results. Totally agree that the ACM module accessory doesn't merit the price difference, the Omni allows the same convenient port access and volume control but doesn't have a sound quality penalty and costs less. The Z does have a wired mic and an optical input, but it only accepts stereo PCM input because of licensing issues (so no surround, and both PC & PS4 would need to be on). The Omni only has an optical output.

With the Z series cards mostly replacing the Recon3D products with upgraded quality, the only Recon3D product worth keeping in mind (and still in production) is the USB model. Yeah, the Omni is a SQ upgrade, but the Recon3D USB can decode DDL surround output from consoles to it's optical input, and doesn't require a PC to run it; a PS4's USB port will power the unit and input mic audio through USB. It's cleaner and clearer than an Astro Mixamp.

Check this out:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/732171/creative-sound-blaster-e5-headphone-amp-usb-dac-with-otg-toslink-aptx-recording-more

Finally we can use USB and still get binaural surround (via SBX Pro Studio)? Built-in microphone, too!

Yeah, and check out what else is coming down the pipes... Expensive, but it does everything and then some more:
http://www.soundblaster.com/x7/

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #3,088 of 4,136
I knew the Recon3D is a great product for the price but didn't know it was cleaner and clearer than mixamp. I only got it over the mixamp cause I live in Canada and don't like to pay for possible import charges and pricier shipping tagged with international buys when there are alternatives. It's funny how these companies that used to be hated by audiophiles are stepping up their game a bit now that they filled up their bank accounts lol. Beats by Dre released decent cans, Creative got gradually better ever since they got competition from Asus and they still have a good hold on external gaming amps compared to Asus.  I'd like to find the difference in wealth of the market of external gaming amps for consoles vs PC soundcards  nowadays. 

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #3,089 of 4,136
Not entirely correct, but mostly right end results. Totally agree that the ACM module accessory doesn't merit the price difference, the Omni allows the same convenient port access and volume control but doesn't have a sound quality penalty and costs less. The Z does have a wired mic and an optical input, but it only accepts stereo PCM input because of licensing issues (so no surround, and both PC & PS4 would need to be on). The Omni only has an optical output.

With the Z series cards mostly replacing the Recon3D products with upgraded quality, the only Recon3D product worth keeping in mind (and still in production) is the USB model. Yeah, the Omni is a SQ upgrade, but the Recon3D USB can decode DDL surround output from consoles to it's optical input, and doesn't require a PC to run it; a PS4's USB port will power the unit and input mic audio through USB. It's cleaner and clearer than an Astro Mixamp.
Yeah, and check out what else is coming down the pipes... Expensive, but it does everything and then some more:
http://www.soundblaster.com/x7/

Thanks man, my wallet is going to be hurt even more lol. I already have the Recon3D USB and its great, the only thing that i sometimes kind of complain is that the rear "speakers" on a headphone, although noticable, lack some definition. This might be just me and BF4 and the Fidelio X1 but overall, I think its a solid gadget for multipurpose gaming. I use on PS3 and my PC. On PC you get 7.1 and with PS3 you get 5.1 DDL. I think its a great little thing for 60 to 70 bucks.....

But the x7.....now that is something I now want lol

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #3,090 of 4,136
Thanks man, my wallet is going to be hurt even more lol. I already have the Recon3D USB and its great, the only thing that i sometimes kind of complain is that the rear "speakers" on a headphone, although noticable, lack some definition. This might be just me and BF4 and the Fidelio X1 but overall, I think its a solid gadget for multipurpose gaming. I use on PS3 and my PC. On PC you get 7.1 and with PS3 you get 5.1 DDL. I think its a great little thing for 60 to 70 bucks.....

But the x7.....now that is something I now want lol

it's a pity Recon3D isn't available anymore at the same low good price :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back