The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Jul 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #3,031 of 4,136
  On the X-Fi Titanium HD, does CMSS-3D Headphone work fine if you use the RCA out?

Yes, the Titanium-HD can send processed CMSS-3D headphone surround sound thru it's RCA outputs.

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #3,032 of 4,136

In Windows, under Control Panel>Sound>Playback tab, it should give you the option that allows digital audio to pass thru the Titanium's optical port, while bypassing the Titanium's audio processor/features, I would assume it would fix the freezing issue.
Then when you want to use the Titanium features you just go back to the Playback tab and enable (Titanium Speaker) sound card output. 

That option does not exist under the regular Windows Sound Control Panel.  The closest thing I can find is within the Creative Audio Control Panel:
Creative Audio Control Panel>SPDIF I/O>Play Stereo Mix using Digital Output
I tried ticking that option,

then in foobar2000:
ASIO: Creative ASIO
WASAPI (event): SPDIF Out (Creative SB X-Fi)
WASAPI (push): SPDIF Out (Creative SB X-Fi)
All 3 of those output options will hard lock Windows. 

DS: SPDIF Out (Creative SB X-Fi) is the only output that doesn't lock up Windows, but that's the Direct Sound driver that does not bypass all windows and SB mixers.  
WASAPI (event): Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi) also works, but that doesn't bypass the X-Fi's DAC.

I think the X-Fi Titanium (non-HD) is not capable of working with ASIO or WASAPI drivers through its SPDIF Output port.  Odd thing is, I had a USB X-Fi Surround 5.1 (non-Pro) for a short while and the WASAPI driver did work over its SPDIF Output. 

At this point I've kind of given up on a minimal device setup which I wanted when I got the X-Fi Ti.  I originally wanted it to be X-Fi Ti> SPDIF out> Audioengine D1> Asgard 2> Headphones.  But since the WASAPI/ASIO SPDIF output is broken on the X-Fi Ti I have it setup like this now:
For gaming, it's X-Fi Ti 3.5mm output> splitter> Fiio E09k> headphones. 
For music, it's onboard Realtek SPDIF output> Audioengine D1> Asgard 2> headphones. 

Maybe I should post my WASAPI/SPDIF question in that other SB Z/ZX/ZXR thread instead of this thread.

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #3,033 of 4,136
I managed to get the Omni and give it a try.

First impressions: Quite good actually, seems like a much better overall purchase than U3 (Even though I still think U3 + E17 was not a bad idea either). The DAC/Amp included is quite impressive for the package, but not amazing. It feels like the amp is good enough for entry cases unless you wanna go further and add an extra amp. For my case, I think it's more than enough, considering I just have a 558 at this point, which really, doesn't do justice to what I will say about the amp.

As for the surround, it does seem to have a bit more clarity than DH. From what I found people describing DH compared to SBX, SBX seems to have a better preference for me. Having said that, I'm not sure if I'm even getting the settings correctly. I've been changing around on the settings and the surround still doesn't feel natural as I hoped it would be. I'll still play around though. If I'm not satisfied, VSS might not be a thing for me after all.

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #3,034 of 4,136
  I managed to get the Omni and give it a try.

First impressions: Quite good actually, seems like a much better overall purchase than U3 (Even though I still think U3 + E17 was not a bad idea either). The DAC/Amp included is quite impressive for the package, but not amazing. It feels like the amp is good enough for entry cases unless you wanna go further and add an extra amp. For my case, I think it's more than enough, considering I just have a 558 at this point, which really, doesn't do justice to what I will say about the amp.

As for the surround, it does seem to have a bit more clarity than DH. From what I found people describing DH compared to SBX, SBX seems to have a better preference for me. Having said that, I'm not sure if I'm even getting the settings correctly. I've been changing around on the settings and the surround still doesn't feel natural as I hoped it would be. I'll still play around though. If I'm not satisfied, VSS might not be a thing for me after all.

If your setting windows speaker settings to 5.1 as well as game's then your setting it correctly. If not then that's how you config it. Also SBX surround headphone options can be used thru the RCA output too which comes in handy for the reason you mentioned external amp's.

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #3,035 of 4,136

If your setting windows speaker settings to 5.1 as well as game's then your setting it correctly. If not then that's how you config it. Also SBX surround headphone options can be used thru the RCA output too which comes in handy for the reason you mentioned external amp's.

Yep, that's pretty much how I configured it. Only thing is that on the Omni control panel, I've set it up as headphones instead of 5.1 surround, since I seem to find it better.

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #3,036 of 4,136
Yep, that's pretty much how I configured it. Only thing is that on the Omni control panel, I've set it up as headphones instead of 5.1 surround, since I seem to find it better.
That is how I have it. Windows set to 5.1 and OMNI control panel set to headphones. I have SBX set to around 35%. Scout mode, crystal voice, all that stuff I have off. Inside the game make sure to set it to 5.1 also. When I not playing a 5.1 source I turn off SBX, such as for music.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #3,037 of 4,136
Many recommend to stick Sound Blaster Z with external optical DAC to bypass the sound card's DAC without losing the SBX effects.

My question is simple: Using a G1 Gaming motherboard (or another) that has SoundCore 3d, do I need a Sound Blaster Z to have the result that I'd with the above set (SBX)? Or can I just stick the onboard audio with a external optical DAC and thus keeping SBX like whether I had a sound card?

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #3,038 of 4,136
Many recommend to stick Sound Blaster Z with external optical DAC to bypass the sound card's DAC without losing the SBX effects.

My question is simple: Using a G1 Gaming motherboard (or another) that has SoundCore 3d, do I need a Sound Blaster Z to have the result that I'd with the above set (SBX)? Or can I just stick the onboard audio with a external optical DAC and thus keeping SBX like whether I had a sound card?

The motherboard looks like it has full SBX processing. You should be able to output from to your external equipment without too much trouble and keep the processing.

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #3,039 of 4,136
That is how I have it. Windows set to 5.1 and OMNI control panel set to headphones. I have SBX set to around 35%. Scout mode, crystal voice, all that stuff I have off. Inside the game make sure to set it to 5.1 also. When I not playing a 5.1 source I turn off SBX, such as for music.

Yeah, that's how I set it up as well. I will probably assume my headphones doesn't do justice to SBX. I'll know for sure once I upgrade though.

If your motherboard does it and has the option to output through Optical, there is no need at all to buy another soundcard just to get the processing. If you're planning on just taking the processing part, any solution (even if it is dirt cheap) is going to be fine.

Jul 28, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #3,041 of 4,136
Small question:

I have a X-Fi Titanium, and as such, I use the Creatives OpenAL driver.
Should I use the Rapture3D or OpenAL Soft implementation? Even if I lose hardware acceleration? It seems everyone says the HTRF is better in those implementations than Creative's

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #3,042 of 4,136
  Thanks guys.

Now only question is whether the onboard audio controller of the GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 sends SBX by its TOSLink output. What do you say?

If your use what you hear or if it has the option in the advance option to send stereo mix to spdif then it should.

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #3,043 of 4,136
I've been researching the past couple of days to try and figure out what the best option for me would be. 

I have AKG K712 Pro headphones, and will be getting a Schiit Modi/Magni stack to use with them.
My PC has an Asus P8Z77V-Pro motherboard, and I don't have a soundcard.

So I was looking at what soundcard would be best for me to use, when only getting it for the surround sound for gaming, as I will be using the optical out to the Schiit stack. However, I found that Creative are selling the SBX software for $30: Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 Software Suite. It seems like this is the same as what the sound cards use, so that might be all I need.

Considering that I only need the surround software, would this be a better option, or would a sound card having the soundcore 3D chip be better?

Thanks for you help.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #3,044 of 4,136
You have to hope that the software works with your motherboard, because if it doesn' then it become useless. As certain realtek codecs work with the software. If you look on ebay you should be able to find a cheap sound blaster z or even amazon.

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #3,045 of 4,136
  I've been researching the past couple of days to try and figure out what the best option for me would be. 

I have AKG K712 Pro headphones, and will be getting a Schiit Modi/Magni stack to use with them.
My PC has an Asus P8Z77V-Pro motherboard, and I don't have a soundcard.

So I was looking at what soundcard would be best for me to use, when only getting it for the surround sound for gaming, as I will be using the optical out to the Schiit stack. However, I found that Creative are selling the SBX software for $30: Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 Software Suite. It seems like this is the same as what the sound cards use, so that might be all I need.

Considering that I only need the surround software, would this be a better option, or would a sound card having the soundcore 3D chip be better?

Thanks for you help.

Are you getting the optical Modi? Stillhart said that he couldn't tell the difference between that and the Sound Blaster Omni's DAC (obviously YMMV). If you were to grab an Omni and use the headphone out to a Magni or better, you could save some cash and have a guaranteed surround sound solution that wouldn't be messing with some software package that may or may not work well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back