The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Dec 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #1,021 of 4,136
Quote:

I'm on the same boat, having to move around data if I want to get a few current games installed, considering games now take up a rather large amount of space.

The Steam Mover?? app I use works well for this. Move a game to the SSD for playing and to the larger drive when I'm done with it. Most of my games are through Steam though so that makes it a lot easier.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #1,022 of 4,136
Incidentally, Steam FINALLY has an option to let you choose which drive you want your games installed to without the need for extra utilities, which makes a "small SSD for OS, huge HDD for games" setup much easier.

Of course, if you want to swap back and forth, Steam Mover still comes in handy.

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #1,023 of 4,136
It should be noted that games that do intensive data streaming benefit from running from a SSD rather than a HDD. Technically speaking, all games benefit from running from a SSD, but that's not feasible due to both current SSD's size-price ratio as well as ever increasing game sizes.

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #1,024 of 4,136
Hello guys i really need help here cause i am going to buy ultimate gaming pc sound system ( at leat 4 me :) )

Correct me if i am wrong ok

buy RAZER timat 7.1 , astro a40 , sennheiser pc 360 whose the best in those 3 and please arrange them 4 me like whish one of them is high , medium and low

If those headset are bad tell me if there is any headphones/headset on the same price level whose better but also tell me your opinion the headset i mentioned

for the sound card i dont know anything about them so after i did a research i found these ar so good Creative soundblaster Z ,
creative sounblaster X-FI titanium HD , creative soundblaster recon 3D and the ASUS pheobus. whose the best 1 of those ?
I prefer the soundblaster Z

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #1,025 of 4,136
Quote:
Hello guys i really need help here cause i am going to buy ultimate gaming pc sound system ( at leat 4 me :) )
buy RAZER timat 7.1 , astro a40 , sennheiser pc 360 whose the best in those 3 and please arrange them 4 me like whish one of them is high , medium and low
If those headset are bad tell me if there is any headphones/headset on the same price level whose better but also tell me your opinion the headset i mentioned
for the sound card i dont know anything about them so after i did a research i found these ar so good Creative soundblaster Z ,
creative sounblaster X-FI titanium HD , creative soundblaster recon 3D and the ASUS pheobus. whose the best 1 of those ?

Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium (non-HD), refurb for $44.99 at Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102043

Sennheiser HD558, $180 new or used for $150 at amazon (Electronics Expo).

Whatever add-on mic you like.

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #1,026 of 4,136
Quote:

Correct me if i am wrong ok

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

If you're looking for the absolute best gaming setup, then it's as following:
- Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
- Sennheiser PC360 (forget about that Razer and Astro trash)
- O2 amp

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #1,027 of 4,136
Quote:

If you're looking for the absolute best gaming setup, then it's as following:
- Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
- Sennheiser PC360 (forget about that Razer and Astro trash)
- O2 amp

why is the X-FI Titanium better than the Soundblaster Z , are the titaium will be good in games and movies ?

Please write down the full name of the amp or give me its link and what if i used portable amp like fiio E07k or something

As for the headset i was thinking about the byerdynamic mmx 300 , is it a good choice and does it have surround sound ?

Dec 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #1,028 of 4,136
Quote:
why is the X-FI Titanium better than the Soundblaster Z , are the titaium will be good in games and movies ?

Please write down the full name of the amp or give me its link and what if i used portable amp like fiio E07k or something

As for the headset i was thinking about the byerdynamic mmx 300 , is it a good choice and does it have surround sound ?

The Creative X-Fi Titanium HD (the HD model, not the regular model) has both a high quality DAC and components, as well as having hardware support for EAX, OpenAL and positional cue improvement algorithms provided by the X-Fi chip, features that aren't available on the Z series. It's the best soundcard for gaming, and due to the very high quality parts used, it's also great for music and movies.

Look into the JDS Labs O2.

The E7 is a DAC-amp unit, and when used as a DAC, it defeats the purpose of having a higher quality soundcard (the Titanium HD has a superior DAC).

If you intend on doing gaming, along with having good quality audio for music and movies, and you're looking for an integrated mic + headphones set, then the PC360 is what you should be looking for. Alternatively, you can get higher quality headphones and add a clip-on mic or a boom mic.

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #1,029 of 4,136
my 2 cents:

I had AKG 702 and DT990/600. 2 headphones i bought specifically for gaming: akg for multiplayer and dt990 for singleplayer. I have astro mixamp too. amp when gaming is too much hassle...

Now, for headphones just get pc360. MLE tested a LOT of headphones and he always goes back to pc360. Good sound, good 3D, and is a headset. For gaming you get best of 2 world: quality and convenience AND you won't need an amp.

For card: ppl here say x-fi titanium is the best (dunno, mine arrives tomorrow from usa). mixamp is useless on pc unless your card does dolby digital live (that my asus maximus v doesn't).
gaming: x-fi titanium (or... recon 3d... one friend loves it)
gaming + music: x-fi titanium hd. (better tham e7 or e10 i heard... i will test next week vs e10)

or... you can get  LCD-2+Lyr or Ultrasone Ed8 (i love them when gaming) instead of pc600... they both sound great... hahaha :)

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #1,030 of 4,136
Recon3D series are software based cards without any sort of hardware processing nor positional cue algorithms, being barely better than Asus cards.

The Mixamp is a console device, no use on PCs due to wider offer and quality available.

The Titanium HD is better than any Fiio DAC by quite a bit.

Running a LCD-2 or an Edition 8 sure is an interesting way of looking at it :) However, the LCD-2 aren't really geared for gaming, the Edition 8 would be a better option.

About not needing an amp, that's not quite right. The PC360 already sound good straight from the card, but they do improve with additional amplification.

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #1,031 of 4,136
Quote:

You could connect the Titanium HD's RCA analog output jacks and connect them to the E07K aux analog line-in and use the E07K amplifier features with headphones.
and then take the E07K with you for use while traveling.

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #1,032 of 4,136
Quote:
Running a LCD-2 or an Edition 8 sure is an interesting way of looking at it :) However, the LCD-2 aren't really geared for gaming, the Edition 8 would be a better option.

I only ran LCD-2 as gaming can for experiment. Pretty good, but quite big... The Ed8 is what i use when gaming. S-Logic with surround rocks, they don't need amp, and are very light. (of course, their primary use is to listen to music at work 6+ hours everyday).

About not needing an amp, that's not quite right. The PC360 already sound good straight from the card, but they do improve with additional amplification.

Well... what I mean is X-Fi HD amp is supposed to handle up to 330 ohms cans right? pc360 is just 50ohms... have people here any problem driving 360 with x-fi titanium? at least by numbers, you should not need a O2 amp (just assumptions, I don't have pc360 nor O2).

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #1,033 of 4,136
Quote:

I only ran LCD-2 as gaming can for experiment. Pretty good, but quite big... The Ed8 is what i use when gaming. S-Logic with surround rocks, they don't need amp, and are very light. (of course, their primary use is to listen to music at work 6+ hours everyday).

Well... what I mean is X-Fi HD amp is supposed to handle up to 330 ohms cans right? pc360 is just 50ohms... have people here any problem driving 360 with x-fi titanium? at least by numbers, you should not need a O2 amp (just assumptions, I don't have pc360 nor O2).

Don't get me wrong, the LCD-2 are simply stellar headphones, just that in terms of game's positional cue accuracy they're not so great. But I sure agree that S-Logic is a hardware independent surround upgrade that doesn't do the whole artificial coating to sound like software surround virtualization techs do.

Careful, the X-Fi HD (USB) is a different device from the X-Fi Titanium HD (PCIe). But like I said previously, the PC360 sound fine straight from the card. But by adding an O2, their sound improves further.

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #1,034 of 4,136
Quote:
Careful, the X-Fi HD (USB) is a different device from the X-Fi Titanium HD (PCIe). But like I said previously, the PC360 sound fine straight from the card. But by adding an O2, their sound improves further.

Sorry, i mean X-Fi Titanium HD (PCIe). No idea about USB version, but I guess is inferior :p

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #1,035 of 4,136
is the X-FI Titanium more powerfull than ASUS pheobus and the STX verions ?

is the Titanium even more powerfull than the creative soundblaser fatality and Z verion even thar both of them made to give you surround sound ?

does the soundcard sucks any kind of power from the processor preformance ?

which one of those will be better DT990 or  pc360 ?

do i need amp with this setup and why ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back