The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Dec 3, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #1,007 of 4,136
Quote:

A 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, crappy built in GPU. The processor usage shoots up to 70-80% at times when I'm playing DotA. :p

Please post a CPU-Z screenshot, as well as a GPU-Z screenshot. If you do have the IGP I imagine, I just might be able to provide a couple of hardware-specific tools and modded drivers to improve your gaming performance.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #1,008 of 4,136
Quote:

Please post a CPU-Z screenshot, as well as a GPU-Z screenshot. If you do have the IGP I imagine, I just might be able to provide a couple of hardware-specific tools and modded drivers to improve your gaming performance.

Thanks for your offer, but its okay. I don't really game much besides DotA. And I'm gonna get a new laptop soon, anyway. My only concern was that my laptop might bottleneck the U3 somehow.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #1,009 of 4,136
Does anyone here have experience with Oblivion or Fallout 3 with the Titanium HD card? I have been told it is capable of the most impressive sound queues such as near perfect height, distance, and angle. Is this true and is it convincing? I want to disappear into the Capital Wasteland and explore a few dungeons like I'm there!

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #1,010 of 4,136
Quote:
Does anyone here have experience with Oblivion or Fallout 3 with the Titanium HD card? I have been told it is capable of the most impressive sound queues such as near perfect height, distance, and angle. Is this true and is it convincing? I want to disappear into the Capital Wasteland and explore a few dungeons like I'm there!

Both games are quite good examples of how running a soundcard with full gaming support can dramatically improve immersion and positional cue accuracy. Both games have DirectSound3D as the audio renderer, being properly wrapped to OpenAL, and providing a very good aural experience.

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #1,011 of 4,136
Quote:

Both games are quite good examples of how running a soundcard with full gaming support can dramatically improve immersion and positional cue accuracy. Both games have DirectSound3D as the audio renderer, being properly wrapped to OpenAL, and providing a very good aural experience.

Can I just say that I am stoked? I am building a killer computer and have been planning to do so for a while and therefor avoided completing my favorite games so I wouldn't be simply replaying them. This will be fun.

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #1,012 of 4,136
Quote:
Can I just say that I am stoked? I am building a killer computer and have been planning to do so for a while and therefor avoided completing my favorite games so I wouldn't be simply replaying them. This will be fun.

A high-end computer that will do its fair share of gaming will gladly welcome a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD. It simply doesn't get any better than that :)

What are the specs of the computer you're building?

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #1,013 of 4,136
Quote:

A high-end computer that will do its fair share of gaming will gladly welcome a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD. It simply doesn't get any better than that :)

What are the specs of the computer you're building?

CPU: i7-3770K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard: DZ77GA-70K
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2X8) DDR3-1600
Storage: Intel 520 Series 180GB SSD x2
GPU: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB

I just needs to pick a power supply and monitor. This is my first build, though, and I'm always open to suggestions.

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #1,014 of 4,136
Quote:
CPU: i7-3770K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard: DZ77GA-70K
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2X8) DDR3-1600
Storage: Intel 520 Series 180GB SSD x2
GPU: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB

I just needs to pick a power supply and monitor. This is my first build, though, and I'm always open to suggestions.

Sounds about right. Slap a Corsair AX760 on it and you're all set.

However... aren't you going to add some large HDDs to store data? SSDs will burn out relatively quickly if you use them for large I/O activity.

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #1,015 of 4,136
Quote:

Sounds about right. Slap a Corsair AX760 on it and you're all set.

However... aren't you going to add some large HDDs to store data? SSDs will burn out relatively quickly if you use them for large I/O activity.

Is that true? I've heard little about that. I haven't been planning on any standard HDD. I like the idea of all SSDs. I got two 520 series for $115 each!

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #1,016 of 4,136
Quote:
Is that true? I've heard little about that. I haven't been planning on any standard HDD. I like the idea of all SSDs. I got two 520 series for $115 each!

Yes, their lifespan is quite a bit lower. Just add a 2TB HDD along with the SSDs and you won't have anything to worry about.

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #1,018 of 4,136
Quote:
I totally want my games on the SSD, though. Is this foolish? For example, I want to have Skyrim on the SSD for all sorts of loading reasons.

Not at all. You actually do want games on the SSDs, while the installers are on the HDD.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #1,019 of 4,136
Quote:
Not at all. You actually do want games on the SSDs, while the installers are on the HDD.

I wish I could consider that a practical option...

In my case, installing my entire PC game library at this point will take up around 1 TB of space, probably more. Needless to say, buying 1 TB or larger SSDs is extremely impractical at current prices.

For those whose gaming tastes are narrower, though, it could work out without spending a fortune on storage.

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #1,020 of 4,136
Quote:

I wish I could consider that a practical option...

In my case, installing my entire PC game library at this point will take up around 1 TB of space, probably more. Needless to say, buying 1 TB or larger SSDs is extremely impractical at current prices.

For those whose gaming tastes are narrower, though, it could work out without spending a fortune on storage.

I'm on the same boat, having to move around data if I want to get a few current games installed, considering games now take up a rather large amount of space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back