The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Jul 30, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #571 of 4,136
Yeah, I didn't do my homework, and expected a product that costs about 4x as much as the E9 would have analog inputs because the E9 did. Sadly, was mistaken.

I could sell it off and get the C-2.2, but then I'd be missing a DAC, and would automatically want the NFB3 or NFB2 to have full ACSS connection (any non Audio-GD amp would need to go through the op-amps, which AFAIK is inferior than ACSS. That right there would cost more than double what I paid for the NFB5, so I'll live without the analog inputs, and probably get another amp down the line for those purposes (still waiting on the ODA).

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #575 of 4,136
Correct me if I'm wrong but that 3.5mm side is a mini-toslink input (digital). You can't plug that into the Vita. :confused_face:

http://www.amazon.com/Menotek-Analog-Audio-Digital-Converter/dp/B0045UWXB0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1343709012&sr=8-3&keywords=analog+to+digital

This would work, but for that price, I may as well just save up for a legit portable amp.

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #576 of 4,136
Ok so with my new headphones I'm trying to figure out the best way to set them up for the most immersive sounding experience so I would like some help. What should I set my control panel sound to? just stereo?
Also what should be my settings in my Xonar DX audio centre? here is a pic for reference and what I'm currently using
fWwo1.png

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #577 of 4,136
Quote:
Ok so with my new headphones I'm trying to figure out the best way to set them up for the most immersive sounding experience so I would like some help. What should I set my control panel sound to? just stereo?
Also what should be my settings in my Xonar DX audio centre? here is a pic for reference and what I'm currently using
fWwo1.png

Turn GX off, otherwise looks good.

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #578 of 4,136
He could also change the DH mode to DH-2, which is what use console gamers are used to. :wink:

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #584 of 4,136
I didn't think Aleph One used OpenAL, but I admit that I haven't looked too hard into it or Marathon in general.

The X-Fi Titanium HD is just what I currently use; I also have an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude in an older computer, and once had an Auzentech X-Fi Forte (then traded that for the Titanium HD because the other guy needed analog surround outputs and I didn't). Those are generally the more expensive, higher-quality cards.

You could go for a used/refurbished X-Fi Titanium (non-HD) for $50 or less (any more and I'd suggest stepping up to one of the above cards), or if you don't mind the old PCI interface, older full-size X-Fi cards with heatsinks (in other words, cards that are NOT the "fake" XtremeAudio products without the actual X-Fi DSP) for $35 or less, depending on what eBay deals you can find. Those will be good enough to get the gaming features you're looking for. Then install this particular driver package, and you should be good to go. (I don't recall having any issues in Thief with that driver pack when setting up a friend's computer with a PCI X-Fi card.)

Ah, and speaking of VR headsets, I once played Quake with a Forte VFX-1 over a decade ago. I want to get my hands on one of those just to set up an old system dedicated to MechWarrior 2, and pretend it's a neurohelmet. In particular, it has a head-tracking system that a lot of older games have special support for. (Unfortunately, my TrackIR 4 is too recent for all those DOS-era games, and DOSBox doesn't emulate the older head-tracking systems, either.)

Though the graphics and gameplay mechanics are dated, Marathon Infinity holds up well IMO due to the creative writing in the text terminals and interesting non-linear level progression. iPad versions were just ported for free and rekindled my interest, though obviously the PC versions (Mac & Windows) obviously control better with keyboard and mouse. I was suprised how some of the level designs still impress me despite the tech limitations. The sound ambiance of Marathon isn't very complex even if it does have OpenAL to be honest, I think even the height perspectives were faked by trapezoid distortions of the flat sprite images. I keep telling myself to play with Forge and Anvil, but it's so dated now that I ought to learn to use creation kits from newer games to add to a portfolio. Your VR headsets sound amazing, I didn't actually believe there were commercially mass-produced head-tracking VR systems... Would one be able to still use his or her own headphones with any of them? I feel like that era has gone past, too many movies like the matrix & videogame immersion backlash.

Also about the sound cards, my Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 motherboard has two each of PCI express 2.0, PCI express, and PCI still open. I'll have to look at your eBay options...
Would this one meet criteria? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Creative-Sound-Blaster-X-Fi-Xtreme-Gamer-Fidelity-PCI-Sound-Card-SB073A-/221004720898?pt=US_Sound_Cards_Internal_&hash=item3374e86b02

I copied your driver link to my "reading list" bookmarks.

Any particular reason for Creative vs Asus? Is the Creative more universal? I wasn't thinking of getting a pc soundcard (gee, hope it works with the Mac side of my computer), but the $35 actually might be within whim budget for the month.

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #585 of 4,136
Quote:
Naw I have the DH mode right for my ears, that much I know :p everything else sounds too empty and too much reverb. I like a more muted or dampened sound. Seems to sound more natural.
What does GX do exactly? 

GX is Asus's "version" of Creative EAX 5.0,
GX get's mixed reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back