The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Jul 24, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #541 of 4,136
Quote:
Sorry, i don't know if this was answered before, are you saying that if i use a DSP like Astro Mixamp, directly from the digital output of a motherboard's soundcard that doesn't support Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect, i won't get the full surround effect (like Dolby Headphone, in the case of JVC DH1 or Ear Force DSS)? Is this correct? 

Btw, thank you for your very informative post, it's really useful.

Exactly. If you use an external DSP/DAC like those with only stereo PCM over S/PDIF, then you're basically getting a simulation of two stereo speakers in front of you with Dolby Headphone on, with no surround cues because the surround channels aren't there.

For PC gaming, it's much more practical to just buy a sound card. More features (including CMSS-3D Headphone or Dolby Headphone), less cost, and probably even better sound quality. Those external devices like the Mixamp are better suited toward console gaming.

You're welcome; I try to help in any way I can.

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #542 of 4,136
Buying a sound card is not a problem, except that i want a mini itx gaming system, and there's no room for one. :)

Anyway, would you say that DirectSound3D and OpenAL APIs are pretty much dead these days? Especially for games coming from consoles (pc ports)?

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #543 of 4,136
Heya,

Great guide and i hope this is the right spot to get some insightful answers. I checked many guides and opinions by now but am unable to find the exact info which I need.

Now, I got myself the ATH A700 and a xonar DX. I wasnt too happy with the A700 though, the pleather and over- size ruined it for me, the sound was great though.

I am now planning on ordering a DT880 premium 250 ohm from Amazon, after returning the A700.
I red that the Xonar DX wont have enough juice to drive the DT880 well enough so Im looking at alternatives in form of other sound cards.

Took a look at the Xonar ST on amazon but there are so many of them for different prices, I am very uncertain which one actually would be the right one for driving 250 ohm ?

Here my search results :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=xonar+st&x=0&y=0
ir

Can i get away with something cheaper than the St in order to drive the Dt 880 250Ohm to it's full potential ?
The ST is already cranking my Budget quite a bit to be honest but if it's the best option, Id still go for it i suppose.

Also, can my Ipod drive the 250 Ohm by itself, if not, is a 20 dollar FIO enough ?

Some answers here would be of immense help to me, Im just very new to the audiophile world.

Also, awesome guide there, kudos!

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #544 of 4,136
Quote:
Buying a sound card is not a problem, except that i want a mini itx gaming system, and there's no room for one. :)

Anyway, would you say that DirectSound3D and OpenAL APIs are pretty much dead these days? Especially for games coming from consoles (pc ports)?

Unfortunately...save for the occasional indie game that uses OpenAL, Codemasters racing game, or Source engine games with the Miles Sound System that have a console command to enable DirectSound3D mode, new releases are practically all XAudio2 and FMOD Ex now. It's probably because of the prevalence of console ports.

I just consider support for those APIs so important because I still like to fire up the good old games fairly often, and wrappers like ALchemy ensure that DS3D games still sound like they're supposed to. I admit that my tastes are somewhat more retro than most people around here, but not to the point where I entirely swear off new releases.

Great guide and i hope this is the right spot to get some insightful answers. I checked many guides and opinions by now but am unable to find the exact info which I need.

Now, I got myself the ATH A700 and a xonar DX. I wasnt too happy with the A700 though, the pleather and over- size ruined it for me, the sound was great though.

I am now planning on ordering a DT880 premium 250 ohm from Amazon, after returning the A700.
I red that the Xonar DX wont have enough juice to drive the DT880 well enough so Im looking at alternatives in form of other sound cards.

Took a look at the Xonar ST on amazon but there are so many of them for different prices, I am very uncertain which one actually would be the right one for driving 250 ohm ?

Here my search results :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=xonar+st&x=0&y=0
ir

Can i get away with something cheaper than the St in order to drive the Dt 880 250Ohm to it's full potential ?
The ST is already cranking my Budget quite a bit to be honest but if it's the best option, Id still go for it i suppose.

Also, can my Ipod drive the 250 Ohm by itself, if not, is a 20 dollar FIO enough ?

Some answers here would be of immense help to me, Im just very new to the audiophile world.

Thanks!

Is there any particular reason you want to replace your sound card outright? It would be more affordable and practical to just get an external headphone amp and connect it to your Xonar DX, something like a FiiO E9 (which has the same amplifier IC that the Essence STX does) or an Objective2 to start out with.

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #545 of 4,136
I was redirected here because I am awaiting new headphones for PC gaming and needed advice on sound cards/amps. I am getting the Beyerdynamic DT990 pro set and had an Asus Xonar DX ordered but I was told it won't let the headphones reach any sort of strong volume level so when it arrives I will return it, I have since ordered a Xonar DG soundcard because it has a built in amp but now I am told it still won't be quite good enough to get the fullness out of the DT990s. 
So here I am asking for some help, will the Xonar DGs amp suffice or do I need something better like a FiiO E11 between the headphones and the card?

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #546 of 4,136
Quote:
I was redirected here because I am awaiting new headphones for PC gaming and needed advice on sound cards/amps. I am getting the Beyerdynamic DT990 pro set and had an Asus Xonar DX ordered but I was told it won't let the headphones reach any sort of strong volume level so when it arrives I will return it, I have since ordered a Xonar DG soundcard because it has a built in amp but now I am told it still won't be quite good enough to get the fullness out of the DT990s. 
So here I am asking for some help, will the Xonar DGs amp suffice or do I need something better like a FiiO E11 between the headphones and the card?

The Xonar DG/E11 combo would be a good value.
The DG has a decent DAC and the E11 can be used for desktop or portable use.
The E11 is a better amplifier then the DG.

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #548 of 4,136
Mad Lust sent me over here saying I would be able to get a better answer out of either Nameless or anyone that has knowledge of PC and sound. My dilemma I use to game on consoles I sold them all off just built a brand new gaming PC and am stuck with a pair of Astro A40s and a Mixamp. The A40s sound quality are quit bland for the price I believe them to be just an ok headset. The thing is I plan on getting a pair of q701s for all my PC gaming desires. A few questions, I have read that the onboard sound on the motherboards just plan suck and can not do true surround sound. If this is true I will pick up Xonar DG to tide me over till next month where I am going to upgrade to Xonar Essence ST or STX not sure? Will the Xonar DG be enough to drive the q701s? Is the mixamp useless should I just sell it off with the astros a40s? I do have a turtle beach DSS lying around somewhere I could use instead. And also do the mixamp or DSS really add anything to the PC? I am pretty clueless when it comes to sound or headphones in general. Thanks for the help.

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #549 of 4,136
To really use either the DSS or mixamp (without a soundcard) your motherboard is going to need to do Dolby Live encoding (real time Dobly Digital).  I dunno if many integrated audio bits have HRTF modes or not.  

The DSS/Mixamp are useful for a PC if you don't have anything better in it already.  The positional effects won't be any different, though I always have been leery on such devices lagging in comparison to sound cards.  

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #550 of 4,136
Quote:
Mad Lust sent me over here saying I would be able to get a better answer out of either Nameless or anyone that has knowledge of PC and sound. My dilemma I use to game on consoles I sold them all off just built a brand new gaming PC and am stuck with a pair of Astro A40s and a Mixamp. The A40s sound quality are quit bland for the price I believe them to be just an ok headset. The thing is I plan on getting a pair of q701s for all my PC gaming desires. A few questions, I have read that the on-board sound on the motherboards just plan suck and can not do true surround sound. If this is true I will pick up Xonar DG to tide me over till next month where I am going to upgrade to Xonar Essence ST or STX not sure? Will the Xonar DG be enough to drive the q701s? Is the mixamp useless should I just sell it off with the astros a40s? I do have a turtle beach DSS lying around somewhere I could use instead. And also do the mixamp or DSS really add anything to the PC? I am pretty clueless when it comes to sound or headphones in general. Thanks for the help.

Sell the Astro A40s and Astro Mix-amp and TBS DSS and put the cash towards getting the Essence STX, might find a used one for a decent price.

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #551 of 4,136
Quote:
Sell the Astro A40s and Astro Mix-amp and TBS DSS and put the cash towards getting the Essence STX, might find a used one for a decent price.

That is an even better idea. No really, I am gonna buy the Essence STX instead of buying the Xonar DG and then upgrading a month later. Thanks. Newegg currently has it on sale for $169 I'll have to take a look around and see if I can find a decent price on a used one. If not I will buy new.

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #552 of 4,136
Quote:
To really use either the DSS or mixamp (without a soundcard) your motherboard is going to need to do Dolby Live encoding (real time Dobly Digital).  I dunno if many integrated audio bits have HRTF modes or not.  

The DSS/Mixamp are useful for a PC if you don't have anything better in it already.  The positional effects won't be any different, though I always have been leery on such devices lagging in comparison to sound cards.  

CMIIW, if i want to use the Dolby features in the mixamp with my laptop, should this config work??

Laptop --> Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro --> mixamp --> headphones

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #554 of 4,136
Ok so my Xonar DX arrived today and I am thinking of sending it back as my Xonar DG is arriving next week. So I am asking which is the better combo. Xonar DX with a headphone amp or a Xonar DG with a headphone amp (for the extra power). I am going to be driving a pair of 250 ohm DT 990 pros

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #555 of 4,136
Quote:
Ok so my Xonar DX arrived today and I am thinking of sending it back as my Xonar DG is arriving next week. So I am asking which is the better combo. Xonar DX with a headphone amp or a Xonar DG with a headphone amp (for the extra power). I am going to be driving a pair of 250 ohm DT 990 pros

Xonar DX with an add-on external headphone amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back