The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Apr 17, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #3,856 of 4,136
I think it's broken, or not implemented by software yet (And the way we want it to work, it doesn't work that way).

I can't link pics yet, but if you add i.imgur. com/lU7Itmu.png those together, one difference you can see between the AVR receiver and the Headphones setting in windows is:
(i.imgur. com/v8JyYbM.png) Speaker output.

Windows settings...

AVR Atmos:
Speaker Config: Atmos for Home Theater
Advanced Default Format: Atmos for Home Theater
Spatial sound: Atmos for Theater.

Atmos for Headphones:
Speaker Config: Headphones
Advanced Default Output: 16bit 48hz.
Spatial sound Atmos for Headphones.

From what I found, neither effects anything. Atmos for Headphones doesn't enable anything actually Atmos. (Games/Movies/Testtones).
Atmos for Home Theater: Movies and Games you could play in Atmos, regardless if this setting is on or off. Doesn't make a difference.

Just broken or not implemented. (Actually, it lets you listen to the Dolby Access demos, for which you've been able to download for a long time without the app).

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #3,857 of 4,136
Kinda pointless but silly, the demos you get with each are different in the Dolby Access App:

Headphones: The Fourth Phase - Alaska, Leaf, Shattered.
Theater: Amaze, Red Bull Racing, The Fourth Phase - Alaska, Silent.

If you have the Theater you can listen to them all. If you have headphones only, I dunno.

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #3,858 of 4,136
I just got this response from Dolby Access customer Support.

"Thanks for your email about your experience with Dolby Atmos.

You are experiencing a difference in Dolby Atmos sound due to playback device you are connected to.  The test tones and EA’s Battlefield are mixed specifically for Dolby Atmos enabled home theater systems and soundbars connected via HDMI from your PC. While Overwatch for PC was mixed specifically in Dolby Atmos for Headphones..

We’ve passed your comments on to the development team to consider for future updates.

If you have any additional questions or comments, or need further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Dolby Access Customer Support Team"

I did explain that I was getting bad sound in music as well as other programs. Difference between Overwatch and BF1, test tones and so on. I explained in detail to them what I was seeing. So I guess it just boils down to the content being specifically Mixed for Atmos Headphone.

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #3,860 of 4,136
If you're asking me. I went through every bit of sound I could just listening for differences. Testing everything I could. Comparing 7.1 SBX, 5.1 SBX, Stereo, Direct Mode, with Dolby Atmos Headphone and Sonic. One reason I used hi-fi music was because I've seen people post in this thread about how Music sounded amazing in Atmos Headphone. Which leads me to believe that maybe they are listening to low quality mp3's or something. Anyways, I always like to test everything no matter. It's best having a lot of info for feedback.

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #3,861 of 4,136
What I mean is. How did you get your music to go through Dolby Atmos Headphone and Windows Sonic? As far as I know, the HRTF does not activate for 2 channel sources. Did you force your music player to upmix and output the music at 7.1 channels?

I just did a quick test again on Foobar and Windows Sonic does not activate for 2.0 channel sources.

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #3,862 of 4,136
  What I mean is. How did you get your music to go through Dolby Atmos Headphone and Windows Sonic? As far as I know, the HRTF does not activate for 2 channel sources. Did you force your music player to upmix and output the music at 7.1 channels?

I just did a quick test again on Foobar and Windows Sonic does not activate for 2.0 channel sources.

I don't think it's activating either. I think it's just dropping the quality down to 48Khz 16bit stereo. Which is why my hi-fi recording sound like trash to me. Since the music is not mixed for Atmos Headphone it won't play in 7.1. That is what I got from the response given. If it's not mixed for Doilby Atmos Headphone, it won't work. Plain and simple. So until you get your hands on some of this new music supposedly being mixed in Atmos you won't hear music in Atmos Headphone 7.1 .

Edit: and I can't upmix to 7.1 with my SB E5. As when I turn on 7.1 surround Windows automatically disables Atmos Headphone. When I am using Atmos I turn everything off in my E5's SBX settings and my channel will default to headphone (stereo). I can turn on Surround in SBX while leaving the channel set to Stereo Headphone and I do seem to get some upmixing from my E5, but that's all E5 and not Atmos.

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #3,863 of 4,136
  Since the music is not mixed for Atmos Headphone it won't play in 7.1. That is what I got from the response given. If it's not mixed for Doilby Atmos Headphone, it won't work. Plain and simple. So until you get your hands on some of this new music supposedly being mixed in Atmos you won't hear music in Atmos Headphone 7.1 .

That doesn't sound right, it would go against all their promotion material which clearly states Dolby Atmos for Headphones works with any surround source.

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #3,865 of 4,136
As for it dropping your quality down to 16bit-48kHz, that's normal for Atmos.
Games: http://i.imgur.com/WQX3gG1.jpg
Movies: http://i.imgur.com/wCTUykv.jpg
(These Pictures are from use with a Receiver). 

This would make sense that any high end Audiphile or Audiophile equipment doesn't sound as good, when you enable Atmos for Headphones.
I think they're marketing is unclear. I still think we're all jumping the gun as far as the window's sound setting implementation is for headphones.

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #3,866 of 4,136
Come on guys, since when is 48khz/16 Bit bad? Did you know that CDs come with 44,1Khz and 16Bit offering 96db of dynamic range which you'll never experience not even in half that range? Do you know that higher bits in recordings are necessary during mastering and are not an indicator that the 24bit to XX Bit file is naturally superior in the end product?

Where did you get this mentality from that everything has to be 192Khz/24bit or beyond? I know that many people love to crank all these settings up in the windows settings and fooling themselves into believing that it'll make their music "shine". 

The only reason 16 Bit is bad here is for losing bits when adjusting digital volume on the PC side. That's the only valid complaint.
Other than that? Stop this nonsense and focus on the bad implementation of Atmos. Give feedback where you can and explain why the solution doesn't work for gamers.

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #3,867 of 4,136
Come on guys, since when is 48khz/16 Bit bad? Did you know that CDs come with 44,1Khz and 16Bit offering 96db of dynamic range which you'll never experience not even in half that range? Do you know that higher bits in recordings are necessary during mastering and are not an indicator that the 24bit to XX Bit file is naturally superior in the end product?

Where did you get this mentality from that everything has to be 192Khz/24bit or beyond? I know that many people love to crank all these settings up in the windows settings and fooling themselves into believing that it'll make their music "shine". 

The only reason 16 Bit is bad here is for losing bits when adjusting digital volume on the PC side. That's the only valid complaint.
Other than that? Stop this nonsense and focus on the bad implementation of Atmos. Give feedback where you can and explain why the solution doesn't work for gamers.

It's the same mentality that got us 4k smartphone screens.

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #3,868 of 4,136

And the Human eye can only see at 30 frames per second.......   

If I can hear a difference then I can hear a difference. If you can't then I guess you just can't. Sugar pill? If it is I don't care to be honest. I just know what I like. That being said, why not take your own advice and add something productive here and cut out the nonsensical animosity towards people with different taste than your own. As I'm pretty sure we were talking about the implementation of Atmos Headphone in Windows 10. And how it really wasn't working for anything, gaming included. Unless of course, as I stated from the Dolby response I received, that the game or content was specifically mixed for Atmos Headphone.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #3,869 of 4,136

If I can hear a difference then I can hear a difference. If you can't then I guess you just can't. Sugar pill? If it is I don't care to be honest. I just know what I like. That being said, why not take your own advice and add something productive here and cut out the nonsensical animosity towards people with different taste than your own. As I'm pretty sure we were talking about the implementation of Atmos Headphone in Windows 10. And how it really wasn't working for anything, gaming included. Unless of course, as I stated from the Dolby response I received, that the game or content was specifically mixed for Atmos Headphone.

I don't deny your magical hearing because it's a desperate defense mechanism.

The problem of Dolby Access is not 48khz/16 Bit, it's the implementation both in practical use (as in not supporting "legacy" games with the option to make games always read a 7.1 setting) and in the way the spatializer works when actually fed with 5.1 and 7.1. To me it sounds like a low-effort solution that probably sacrifices accuracy/precision for cpu time. SBX for instance runs in hardware on the Axx1. Maybe they wanted to keep latency as low as possible and overshot. All in all it's a not what we expected for 15 bucks. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #3,870 of 4,136

I don't deny your magical hearing because it's a desperate defense mechanism.

The problem of Dolby Access is not 48khz/16 Bit, it's the implementation both in practical use (as in not supporting "legacy" games with the option to make games always read a 7.1 setting) and in the way the spatializer works when actually fed with 5.1 and 7.1. To me it sounds like a low-effort solution that probably sacrifices accuracy/precision for cpu time. SBX for instance runs in hardware on the Axx1. Maybe they wanted to keep latency as low as possible and overshot. All in all it's a not what we expected for 15 bucks. 

Hopefully that's not the problem. The Dolby Access app wouldn't be the problem, it would be Dolby Atmos. Everything Atmos I've ever run is 16 - 48. I was watching the Dolby Atmos demo disk last night. Jack Reacher, all 16 - 48.

If you can hear the difference that's cool. I can't, but I'm not an audiophile. I just like what my ears like. I showed my girlfriend some Atmos Demos last night, she was instantly bored like... "You're showing me a leaf falling?" No can't you hear the immersive sound that is mind blowing? Her eyes... so confused. But I guess that's me and higher quality audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back