The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Jun 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #1,636 of 4,136
I just use Hifi, small ceneter speaker (which I assume raises center volume, to compensate for small ceneter audio). I admit that that I haven't touched BF3 much, but I'm not a fan of it's sound engine. I mean it's great quality, but it doesn't do virtual surround well.

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #1,638 of 4,136
Quote:
I should download BF3, since I bought it on Steam. Right now though I'm more worried about drawing
biggrin.gif

You mean Origin I assume?

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #1,641 of 4,136
I do. It's easy. Razer Surround to me has NO rear positional accuracy, at all. The soundstage is a half moon, with the lit part being in front of you. All rear positional cues are basically going through your head instead of behind you. CMSS-3D makes a much easier distinction between what's in front and what's behind, though I still don't think it touches Dolby Headphone or even THX Tru Studio which do an even better job of portraying rear positional cues. The good thing about CMSS-3D is that it's not as processed sounding as the latter two, so I'd choose it over stereo, if only because it makes some sort of attempt to differentiate between front and back. Razer surround is... well, it's free for a reason. Razer Surround is like Stereo 1.5. It does a good job portraying side to front cues, but does little to nothing for things behind you in the virtual space. In that vid, the positional cues on the Razer weren't even aligned with the actual placement.

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #1,642 of 4,136
So I still have not been able to fix my problem with the mouse causing an interference noise. It also appears to make the noise when the GPU is kind of under load, such as on websites with flash/etc.

From what I've been reading it sounds like a problem lots of people have experienced, and some possible solutions are to move the sound card to a different PCI express slot on the motherboard, or move the GPU furthur away from the sound card.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, video card is a Gigabyte GTX 670 windforce.

another solution I've seen suggested is replacing the sound card, which doesn't really seem like a good solution to me. I suppose I'll try moving the sound card and seeing if that helps anything.

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #1,643 of 4,136
Did you tell us which soundcard you are using?

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #1,644 of 4,136
Quote:
I do. It's easy. Razer Surround to me has NO rear positional accuracy, at all. The soundstage is a half moon, with the lit part being in front of you. All rear positional cues are basically going through your head instead of behind you. CMSS-3D makes a much easier distinction between what's in front and what's behind, though I still don't think it touches Dolby Headphone or even THX Tru Studio which do an even better job of portraying rear positional cues. The good thing about CMSS-3D is that it's not as processed sounding as the latter two, so I'd choose it over stereo, if only because it makes some sort of attempt to differentiate between front and back. Razer surround is... well, it's free for a reason. Razer Surround is like Stereo 1.5. It does a good job portraying side to front cues, but does little to nothing for things behind you in the virtual space. In that vid, the positional cues on the Razer weren't even aligned with the actual placement.

For me you can and it does work and it not blasting around your head, unless your calibrated it wrong, you just have to con fig it to your ears correctly and disable the bass boost and volume normalization, i been using it for a couple of days now and i can  tell what behind me with accuracy. Unless it depends on how you con fig it and which headphones you had. Because the only setting I use is the stereo enhacment and nothing else and it doesn't mess up the sound for me.

It wasn't like CMSS3D headphone which jacked up the bass and cause it to static as well messing up the sound which what CMSS3D headphone did no matte rhow i config it. The only time it didn't was when i had AD700 headphones.

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #1,645 of 4,136
Quote:
It wasn't like CMSS3D headphone which jacked up the bass and cause it to static as well messing up the sound which what CMSS3D headphone did no matte rhow i config it. The only time it didn't was when i had AD700 headphones.

Are you sure you didn't have any cheezy EAX or crystalizer effects running that are usually enabled by default?

The other think that I believe helps on some headphones is actually unchecking the subwoofer in Windows speaker config wizard. Alternatively just EQ the bass down to where you like it.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #1,647 of 4,136
Quote:

Are you sure you didn't have any cheezy EAX or crystalizer effects running that are usually enabled by default?

The other think that I believe helps on some headphones is actually unchecking the subwoofer in Windows speaker config wizard. Alternatively just EQ the bass down to where you like it.

I always turn those effects off I even unchecked the subwoofer and it still did it.

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #1,648 of 4,136
I suspect those who would enjoy Razer are those who enjoy stereo. Its a step up from at least that.

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #1,649 of 4,136
Quote:
I did in an earlier post,  Creative X-Fi Titanium HD

Another question, do you use the cards rear output or the front output of your PC? I had a lot of noises in my sound when I tried on using the PC's front out with former Xonar STX. The front out cable was lead close by the processor and the other high MHZ/GHZ frequency chips on the board. That is why I have an external Xonar U7 today.

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #1,650 of 4,136
Only my front USB slots are hooked up but I don't use them. Everything plugged into the back. I have a coolermaster haf x case. From what I gather its basically EMI from gpu/CPU/mouse or some combination of. My sound card is in the pci express slot sandwiched between my CPU and gpu so maybe if I move it to another free slot but I think the only free slot is right below the gpu since it takes up 2 slots on its own. I could also move the gpu down a slot and see if that helps.

I have a custom heatsink on my CPU the hyper 212+ evo with 2x 120mm fans in push-pull so that also takes up room and kind of limits my slots

Users who are viewing this thread

Back