The Moth S2A3...has landed!
Feb 11, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #46 of 121
Welcome in 2A3 club!
On Wednesday I will get 2A3 Emission Labs Mesh tubes, so for a week or so I will be able to tell You something about differences between them and Full Music mesh, which I use now.

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #47 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome in 2A3 club!
On Wedndsday I will get 2A3 Emission Labs Mesh tubes, so for a week or so I will be able to tell You something about differences between them and Full Music mesh, which I use now.

Awesome! I look forward to your impressions and I will hold you to them. I have heard good things about the Emission Labs, but are significantly more expensive than my current TJ Full music, so it will be nice to hear some comparisons. NOS American 2a3's are out of my price range and too rare

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #48 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome! I look forward to your impressions and I will hold you to them. I have heard good things about the Emission Labs, but are significantly more expensive than my current TJ Full music, so it will be nice to hear some comparisons. NOS American 2a3's are out of my price range and too rare

You get it. Damm, they are really expensive. I am really disapointed, that AVVT are lost, and there is no way to me, to compared them with FM and EL. But Jac Music say, that new (from June) wolfram EL are the best. I will see.
Remember, FM needs 400 hours to appears its class. Everything before You.
(My english is annoying, I know.)

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #49 of 121
EML tubes sound fantastic! Congrats! They are basically the same company that made AVVT tubes.

I got the supposedly more stable and reliable solid plate EML-2A3 about a year ago. The socket came loose and then when I got them checked the other tested out surprisingly low (near death) with less than 750 hours on them. And it has been impossible to get them warranted.

If you can, you should test them periodically to ensure they are testing strong.

I am very interest to hear your impressions and your comparison against the 2A3 TJ. I've been thinking about ordering the TJ after my experience with the EML. I did just order some 2A3 RCA black plates last week, which should be arriving shortly. I've also read really good things about the Shuguang 2A3C and they are really reasonable too.

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #51 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EML tubes sound fantastic! Congrats! They are basically the same company that made AVVT tubes.

I got the supposedly more stable and reliable solid plate EML-2A3 about a year ago. The socket came loose and then when I got them checked the other tested out surprisingly low (near death) with less than 750 hours on them. And it has been impossible to get them warranted.

If you can, you should test them periodically to ensure they are testing strong.

I am very interest to hear your impressions and your comparison against the 2A3 TJ. I've been thinking about ordering the TJ after my experience with the EML. I did just order some 2A3 RCA black plates last week, which should be arriving shortly. I've also read really good things about the Shuguang 2A3C and they are really reasonable too.

I will give You all big article, only must find some translator before...

Feb 11, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #53 of 121
Quote:

I thought only the proto/review model had the logo engraved. Have you seen others S2A3 with engraved logos? Even this review piece on the S2A3 the picture looks like the Moth badge is a metal logo fixed to the deck lid.

Ryan’s chassis is substantially different than the production version.

Ryan's amp is a unique piece with a unique history. Truly one of a kind.

Quote:

I should clarify that the S2A3 and Si2A3 can drive low impedance headphones very well, but they weren't designed specifically to do so that's why some low impedance headphones pick-up minor hum.

Actually, according to Craig, this amp wasn't originally planned with headphone use in mind.

Quote:

The Si2A3H power supply is out board and completely eliminates this.

This was the solution Craig proposed to me when I asked about it.

Feb 11, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #54 of 121
I think that's one of the most beautiful things I've seen on this board. Jealousy!
cool.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #55 of 121
Quote:

Sorry to hear about your EML's, but nice score on the RCA's! Did you go with the mono plates or double plates? Those are apparently the holy grails. The VTV issue that compares various 2a3's actually felt the Raytheon 2a3H was the rca monoplate equal with better high extension. The Shuguang 2a3c's however received the lowest scores, and recommended the sovtek 2a3's over them.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #56 of 121
I am bummed about the EMLs; at this point, I am too gun-shy to order another pair.

Yes, I got pretty lucky on the RCAs. Thanks. They are not the mono plates. Those are so very extremely rare and finding a matched pair is next to impossible these days. Plus you’ll pay dearly from them.

Is that VTV issue online? I would really like to read it. I remember reading awhile ago some very cynical comments such as VTV were overrating tubes they carried at the time and underrating stuff they didn’t.

Curious to know, if VTV actually reviewed the Shuguang 2A3C because Shuguang make at least two or possibly three different 2A3s.

I think the Sovteks are a great tube at a great price. I’ve had absolutely no problems with them and they sound decent enough especially with rock, but they certainly aren’t the best 2A3 I’ve heard.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #59 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read somewhere that plugging into the headphone jack doesn't mute the main output to speakers.

Is this true for the S2A3 and / or Si2A3?

I believe the answer is yes on most units, if not nearly all of them. On my EC2A3, I disconnect the speakers when listening to headphones or both will emit sound. Moth Audio / Eddie Current has opted to keep the signal path cleaner by getting rid of the switch. It is a small inconvenience, but a small price to pay for better headphone sound quality.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #60 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read somewhere that plugging into the headphone jack doesn't mute the main output to speakers.

Is this true for the S2A3 and / or Si2A3?

yeah on ryan's you need to disconnect the speakers to listen to cans or you'll get both. I wanted to play with Ryan a bit and thought about "hey Ryan can I listen to headphones?" knowing damn well he will say yeah and disconnect the speakers..once he does I say "hey Ryan can I listen to speakers.."

I was thinking of going back and forth a few times..but i decided not to.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back