The Moth S2A3...has landed!
Feb 10, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #16 of 121
A big congrats! That is one fantastic amp with serious realism and retro killer looks to boot. Awesome…

I’ve been thinking about those Full Music (TJ) 2A3 globes or ST. Curious as to what you think about them and if you’ve tried any other 2A3s to compare them against.

The looks of this amp started me down the Eddie Current / Moth Audio path. I remember lusting over it back in the day when KenW post those first pics on Head-Fi.

Feb 10, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #17 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a beautiful rig. I hope you get many years of great music from it.

Given how scarce these are, does anyone know of a similar SET amp in current production? One that uses one of the great tubes, like the 300B, 2A3 or 45? Or maybe some schematics for a nice SET with these tubes? I'd love to have something like this. The Zana Deux looks great, but it's designed as a headphone amp/linestage, and I'd prefer something that would also drive efficient speakers.

There is always The Sun Audio SV 2a3. It does not mean that if 2a3 or 300bs are used, you will get the Signature sound of these tubes. For a Tube Amp, it is the OPT (Oput Trans) that is KEY. The Sun SV 2A3s, uses Tamura Transformers, CUSTOM Wound for the 2a3s. It drives my Infinity 360s Floordtstanders with 3.5watts Per channel, PLAYING Slipknot with EASE. The Schematic is widely available for this amp. But Tamaura or Sun will NOT SELL the OPT separate. Check stereophile for Sam tellings reveiw of the Almighty Sun.

Here's what the Sun is driving now, at my Buddy's place:

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #18 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddtrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is always The Sun Audio SV 2a3. It does not mean that if 2a3 or 300bs are used, you will get the Signature sound of these tubes. For a Tube Amp, it is the OPT (Oput Trans) that is KEY. The Sun SV 2A3s, uses Tamura Transformers, CUSTOM Wound for the 2a3s. It drives my Infinity 360s Floordtstanders with 3.5watts Per channel, PLAYING Slipknot with EASE. The Schematic is widely available for this amp. But Tamaura or Sun will NOT SELL the OPT separate. Check stereophile for Sam tellings reveiw of the Almighty Sun.

Here's what the Sun is driving now, at my Buddy's place:

Thanks!

I just dug around for more information, and the Sun 2A3 kit is a fair deal at just under $1000. If anyone else is interested, here's the link:

http://www2.big.or.jp/~sunaudio/index_e.html

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #19 of 121
Very nice sir! When tyrion put his out there I was so tempted, but with a Zana Deux pending and no real need to drive speakers I couldn't do it. Not to mention the impending divorce it would have caused.
blink.gif

It's just about enough to look at the Moth, so gorgeous it is. Hearing it must bring you close to heaven. Enjoy it to its fullest!

A_Sr.

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #20 of 121
Feb 10, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #23 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
slightly of topic but is there an online dealer with prices listed etc.
I see they do a tube nightlight that for some reason I find very appealing but cant find a price.
thanks.

http://www.eddiecurrent.com/mothaudio/nitelitehi.html

Tuatara, that's the Moth Audio Museum you are looking at. Main entrance is at the bottom of the Eddie Current page. Those items were produced at one time but are no longer made. They're out there - lucky people who keep their eyes and ears open sometimes run into an item for sale. Their rarity combined with their usually awesome sound makes them much desired in audio (and night light) land.

A_Sr.

Feb 10, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #24 of 121
I’ve only seen one such Moth Audio NiteLite for sale in the past two years I’ve been looking for all things Moth related. And IIRC, it was listed at $400 or possibly a bit more. So don't get your hopes up.

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #25 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’ve only seen one such Moth Audio NiteLite for sale in the past two years I’ve been looking for all things Moth related. And IIRC, it was listed at $400 or possibly a bit more. So don't get your hopes up.

eek.gif
eek.gif

put that one on the to get,possibly,almost certainly never list.It just keeps getting bigger.

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #26 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
slightly of topic but is there an online dealer with prices listed etc.
I see they do a tube nightlight that for some reason I find very appealing but cant find a price.
thanks.

http://www.eddiecurrent.com/mothaudio/nitelitehi.html

At the bottom of the moth audio museum link page, there should be a pdf link to an old moth brochure that has the original prices. The nightlight I believe was $600.

The original moth S2A3 was priced at $3500. Moth then created a simpler more true integrated version, the SI2a3, for $2000

Feb 11, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #28 of 121
I have a place nearby that has a lot of old stock switches and indicator lights like that one. I used these when I built my preamp and dac. I love the stuff from the 40's and 50's.

Feb 11, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #30 of 121
Congrats Ryan!! It's a beauty and will provide decades of musical enjoyment. We'll have to hook up sometime and compare notes. I'd like to hear for myself how it drives Cicadas, and you should hear mine with 45 tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back