The most overrated female vocalists
Oct 12, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #46 of 107
My idea was regarding voice. The actual performance part. I don´t really care about the personality of those that sing as long as they can fool me having a great personality when they sing. But voice is not just hitting high notes it´s about bringing out the emotion of the songs and such too.

Britney have never ever anywhere been praised for her singing or anything so I didn´t think she would be mentioned here. Possible underrated since she is the bose of female vocalists
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #49 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most overrated female vocalist has got to be Susan Boyle. She goes on a talent show without sucking and suddenly she's the greatest female vocalist to have ever lived. What a joke!
o2smile.gif

You just never would have expected what comes out of her mouth by looking at her. That said there's better vocally, but you know how these shows influence the public.

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #50 of 107
I would have to say Joplin. I never could understand the appeal. Listening to her yell her way through a song is enough to make me grit my teeth and cover my ears... IMHO anyhow.

Also, I've always thought that Diana Krall's popularity has as much to do with fidelity as performance. She shows up on a lot of reference recording lists. Don't know if that makes her 'overrated' or not...

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #53 of 107
I don't get all the negative votes on Diana Krall. I can imagine that one could dismiss her on purely personal tastes grounds but really, objectively, she's jus great. And a great pianist as well. Have you at least had a chance to see her live?

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #55 of 107
Diana Krall once again.

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #56 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I object!

No one is supposed to consider Tori Amos an amazing singer - no doubt that if people did hold this belief, she would be overrated. However, Tori's music is absolutely stunning!

Just remember that without her, you probably wouldnt be listening to Regina Spektor
wink.gif

meh... Tori Amos is a second rate Kate Bush in my book.

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #57 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bjork
Britney Spears

I don't think Bjork is overrated. I think her voice is cute. Check out her early stuff with KUKL and the Sugarcubes and her early albums. Maybe not everyone's cup of music, but I likes.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #58 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by ISALULA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kate BUSH

Blashemy!

As for Diana Krall, I don't know much about her... Never heard of her until I was watching a commercial with her and Elvis Costello in it. Later heard on NPR or something that she was always pushing Costello to write more rock n' roll type songs rather than the slower, lounge-y stuff he's been doing. Finally listened to her doing a number in Woody Allen's Anything Else and thought to myself... 'meh', not worth the hype. Course, its pretty unfair to judge someone by one song, so I'm willing to give her another chance.

Most overrated female singer in my book is probably someone silly like Fergie from Black Eyed Peas or something. Man they used to be a half ways decent band before she got on board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back