The most overrated female vocalists
Jan 4, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #77 of 107
I don't know if I can call Norah Jones an overrated vocalist, musician maybe. Most of the acclaim she receives surrounds her musical style and albums, not just her voice. Most of the other singers mentioned are just props (Britney Spears) or indulgent divas. At least Norah writes or co-writes a lot of her material. Now her music or overall talent may be overrated, but I haven't heard many people exalt her powerful pipes a la Christina Aguilera.

On the other hand, Sarah Brightman has to be near the top of my list for overrated vocalists, though she isn't as popular as most of the singers mentioned so far. If we were including males, Andrea Bocelli would take the cake. As a vocal performance major, I cringe every time I hear someone mention these two as great "opera" singers.

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #78 of 107
So who are all these overrated nobodies that I've never heard of on these 6 pages hmm?
smile_phones.gif

Actually I've got (or had) Katie Melua's 'Send out the search'. When I heard the first track, the search was definitely off. The rest of the album? She might as well get lost.

Well, most double platinum album type MOR female singers would fit well into these pages.

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #81 of 107
Anything pumped into a Starbucks and marketed next to coffee mugs and other trinkets.

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #82 of 107
Digging up a most excellent post from page 2 of this thread (he was referring to Diana Krall):

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, she makes my skin... well... you know...

Krall?
wink.gif

Just to let you know that your humor wasn't completely wasted.

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #83 of 107
I have no problem with Diana, it's Patricia Barber that makes me shutter.

Overrated? Joan Baez gets on my nerves.

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #84 of 107
Beyonce always been a mystery for me. She is always on the radio and she never does anything good. But she wins a lot of awards?

Borrowed some album from our library named B day. And this is really the most awful singing I heard in a long time. Just constantly yelling in the mic.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #86 of 107
I guess Diana Krall is fair game because she is often listed by audiophiles as a "reference"... but does anyone really think that Beyonce, Britney or Madonna etc. believes that they themselves have great voices? They're performers - not especially gifted singers or musicians.

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but the more I listen to Maria Callas the less patience I have for her idiosyncratic warbling....
popcorn.gif
on a more serious note, she does have- arguably - a great voice (certainly distinctive) - but overrated nonetheless...

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #88 of 107
For me, any female vocalist who uses obscene amounts of melisma to get from point A of any given melody to point B. Somehow the use of ornament has become associated with talent, but it is no different from an instrumentalist littering a passage with chops. You could name any number of pop singers who do it......

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #89 of 107
I agree with (almost) your choices. Actually, there are too many to mention.

My list:

Madonna (is she a singer? really?)
Beyonce (she is pretty, ok)
Jennifer Lopez (agh!)
Lady Gaga (omg!)
Britney Spears (her voice, when only *speaking*, is already atrocious)
Celine Dion (run, run for your life!)
Mariah Carey (wow, she is hot!)
Whitney Houston (amazing voice, but her "melismas" annoy me)
Janis Joplin (ouch, my ears!)

Most female opera singers - usually you can't hear the words, because they think that singing opera is lots of vibrato, and pay no attention to the real meaning of the text. You just hear "garble, garble, garble" and lots of vibrato.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #90 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lex2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the question would be: if she didn't warble as much and her name wasn't Maria Callas would she still be "great"?

I've heard it said, and it makes sense to me, that it is her distinct voice that really drives her fame. When so many sopranos sound so similiar (compared to the differences between say tenors), she is instantly identifiable. She did have the technical ability to hit all the notes... but it's that timbre that separates her from the pack and is the very thing that annoys me after awhile... gimme Tebaldi
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back