the most comfortable headphones ?
Jun 27, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #16 of 31
Ever since I threw the pads in with the wash a couple of times, my Grado SR80is are the most comfortable headphones I own right now. They are extremely light with just enough clamp, and now that any semblance of "scratchy-ness" is gone, they're incredibly comfortable. Honorable mention to my Beyer DT1350s since they keep my ears so cool. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #18 of 31
maybe for people who wear them 24/7, but i want them to feel comfortable when i put them on, like a sweater or a hat. Would you want to feel like you're not wearing anything after you put on clothes?

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #19 of 31
The hd650 will get much more comfortable over time, if you want to break it in faster try putting the heaphones clamped to an object roughly the same size as your head for a few days.

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #20 of 31
1. hd800 - i dont think any will beat this for comfort, decent clamp + comfortable
2. cd900st - its like a mini hd800, it just sits on top of your head
3. others

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #21 of 31
I'm gonna have to put my bid in for the HD 598 as well. The Denons are comfy, but I think of sound as also being a part of my comfort. I can listen the HD 598s for hours and my ears would feel perfectly fine.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #22 of 31
Sennheiser generally makes comfortable headphones (excluding the HD-25's) the AKG k550 are not bad either. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:
1. hd800 - i dont think any will beat this for comfort, decent clamp + comfortable
2. cd900st - its like a mini hd800, it just sits on top of your head
3. others

I don't find the HD800s to be too comfortable.. I just found the thing to be too big around my ears and a bit on the heavy side. The Senn HD650/600 and HD598 are much more comfortable.
Quote:
Sennheiser generally makes comfortable headphones (excluding the HD-25's) the AKG k550 are not bad either. 

HD-25 with velour pads are an absolute godsend, but the important part of the HD-25s comfort is correct positioning of the pads on the ears. Not all people will find the HD-25s to be comfortable (actually, most people will complain about the comfort), but I find the HD-25s to be quite comfortable. I recently discovered this not too long ago by taking my time to position the pads on my ears instead of just slapping the headphones on.

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #25 of 31
I used to say my d5k's. But now it's fostex t50's with 840 pads. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:
maybe for people who wear them 24/7, but i want them to feel comfortable when i put them on, like a sweater or a hat. Would you want to feel like you're not wearing anything after you put on clothes?

Hahaha. You're silly.

Really, people are mentioning on-ear headphones? IMO if you can't wear them for many consecutive hours they aren't all that comfortable and IME its impossible for on-ear headphones to not cause some sort of discomfort to your ears after a few hours.

Both my DT770 Premiums and HD600s are extremely comfortable. I work from home on my computer (programmer) and there are sometimes days where I wear my headphones for 12+ hours straight and then do it for multiple days in a row. Its only in these very extreme situations that I realize the 770s are slightly more comfortable than the HD600s. The 600s are still comfy but after many, many hours they can cause just the slightest bit of discomfort (fixed with a quick adjustment). Anyway, they are both EXTREMELY comfortable and a great choice for anyone who values comfort in long-term use. In fact, I would probably have several more headphones by now but in most cases I decide against it knowing that based on comfort alone I won't end up using them as much as the 600s and 770s.

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #28 of 31
Out of what I've tried, the clear winner is a vintage Stax Lambda with the original headband/arc design. It just sits on my head, far more than it clamps.

I found the SR-202 significantly less comfortable and initially thought it was because of the higher clamping force of the Nova/numerical-style headband/arc, but then I tried an SR-303 on for size and found that its much softer pads helped immensely, possibly even giving my vintage SR-Lambda some serious competition in the comfort department.

The Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 also ranks high on comfort for me, though the velour they use for the earpads may get somewhat itchy after extended wear.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #30 of 31
I am looking for more comfortable headphones.  Despite my best efforts, I find I can't wear headphones for very long.  The only ones I seem to tolerate are some Sennheiser wireless I use for TV watching in the bedroom when the wife is asleep.  

I have HD-600's and find them too warm to wear for very long, and they tend to have a clamp like affect on my big head.  I need to find some very comfortable sealed headphones to use for studio monitoring.  Can anyone recommend something?  I think I would like something with some soft, possibly liquid filled surrounds.   Price below $500.  Can anyone recommend something?  Have to be SEALED.

thanks for your input

jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back