The Moonriver 2 DAC is released after the wait.
May 31, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #46 of 57
I cannot get this to work with my iPhone. Tried 4 different USB-C <> Lightning cables and none worked Worked fine with the provided cable into my laptop. Very frustrating.

Jun 14, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #48 of 57
Moondrop team,

Just got my moonriver 2 today and I am blown away by the sound of this thing. I like it over my go blu and lotoo paw.. but and big BUT I few major gripes about this product.. hope a firmware can fix., is it possible ?

1) default the gain setting should be set to low .. it is crazy that you would set it to high by default
2) remember the volume and gain setting after disconnection. I nearly had my ears blown out when I plugged these back and vol was so loud
3) this is most important.. please please please allow track control. Using the vol buttons 2 clicks fwd 3 clicks backwards. Both go blu and s2 have it and will make this player very usable. Another option is say press both vol twice and it switches to player control mode and up volume forward track, lower volume backward track..
4) small gripe., led is tooo bright

Waiting to hear as it will help me decide to keep it or return it.. (3 is kind of deal breaker now that I have got used to it)

Thanks
Pc

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #49 of 57
So after about a month and a half my moonriver is dead… the pcb always sort of moved back and forth inside the chassis when you’d plug headphones in and out… did that from the get go… I just listened to it and hoped for the best. It started cutting out and then eventually died. And when it did so, it popped my 2k$ iems pretty hard… like there was a ground problem maybe, I don’t know. It didn’t hurt the iems luckily… but still kinda scary. Had the same problem with multiple dragonfly cobalts. That was a nightmare. Anyways just wanted to put that out there for everyone… I’m not super happy. It sounded great… but I won’t be getting another one or doing warranty on this one. I’d recommend the clarus audio coda. Also sounds great and has been bullet proof in every way for almost a year now. Also not super impressed with how APOS responded to the situation either. I’m sure they just have policies in place that they have to follow. Oh well, lesson learned.

Jun 15, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #50 of 57
I cannot get this to work with my iPhone. Tried 4 different USB-C <> Lightning cables and none worked Worked fine with the provided cable into my laptop. Very frustrating.
You’ll need to get a usb to lightning cable that is otg. FiiO makes one, dd hifi makes one… etc. it will work with one of those. Mine did. Unless yours is defective in some way… which is a possibility.

Jun 17, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #51 of 57
folks this is going back. I can’t in true faith keep such expensive toy to get marginal sound quality gains . I expected more but in the end go blu and paw s2 are usable in real world scenarios. Here are my reasons

1) significant battery drain on source balanced at 47% volume . I was losing 30 - 40% battery for an hour of listening . Compared to say go blu OR Lotoo paw s2 it is about 10%.
2) device gets quite warm. Not sure it is good for its health especially you carry it enclosed in you pocket
3) I thought I could live without playback controls for sound. It is too big a compromise for marginal sound gains
4) volume control is not granular. It jumps 4% each click. So you either get slightly quiet or slightly loud music. Not the case with go blu or lotoo
5) support.. on go blu forums you get answer from within hours , here I asked a question no answer

To be clear this is a great sounding device for which you may have compromise a lot . For the price I am not. Happy listening. Pc

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #52 of 57
folks this is going back. I can’t in true faith keep such expensive toy to get marginal sound quality gains . I expected more but in the end go blu and paw s2 are usable in real world scenarios. Here are my reasons

1) significant battery drain on source balanced at 47% volume . I was losing 30 - 40% battery for an hour of listening . Compared to say go blu OR Lotoo paw s2 it is about 10%.
2) device gets quite warm. Not sure it is good for its health especially you carry it enclosed in you pocket
3) I thought I could live without playback controls for sound. It is too big a compromise for marginal sound gains
4) volume control is not granular. It jumps 4% each click. So you either get slightly quiet or slightly loud music. Not the case with go blu or lotoo
5) support.. on go blu forums you get answer from within hours , here I asked a question no answer

To be clear this is a great sounding device for which you may have compromise a lot . For the price I am not. Happy listening. Pc
Thank you for your input on these problems, I apologize for forgetting to check your complaint during this time.(been busy around with graduation stuff and duel with insurance for car repair)
If you happened to remember, can you let me know which device was this battery drain happening? It seems quite strange to me.
Thank you.

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Jun 19, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #53 of 57
  • Thank you for your input on these problems, I apologize for forgetting to check your complaint during this time.(been busy around with graduation stuff and duel with insurance for car repair)
If you happened to remember, can you let me know which device was this battery drain happening? It seems quite strange to me.
Thank you.
No worries, thanks for your response. Here are the instances on how I used moonriver

• Noble K10s Ciem balanced + one plus 8T + poweramp player + moonriver 2 balanced low gain + 23 % volume.. battery drainage around 25 % per hour
  • Noble K10s Ciem balanced + iPad Pro 2020+ Flacbox player + moonriver 2 balanced low gain + 40 % volume.. battery drainage around 20 % per hour
  • 64 audio Nio balanced + one plus 8T + poweramp player + moonriver 2 balanced low gain + 47% volume.. battery drainage around 35 % per hour
  • 64 audio Nio balanced + iPad Pro 2020 + flacbox player + moonriver 2 balanced low gain + 50 % volume.. battery drainage around 30 % per hour
K10s are 32 ohm Nio is 6 ohm impedance, but you see Nio requires more power to match k10s output due to probably low spl.

All my music is 16/44 Flac. No resampling done at source ( except default android upsamples output to 48 kHz) . I tested last night again using 64 audio Nio, 2.5 hrs of continuous listening no skipping tracks , or search or using phone for other things battery dropped by whopping 55% on one plus 8 T using poweramp player. And not to mention player got quite warm..

So here is what I have deduced , dual dac configuration on balanced causing higher power draw maybe. Go blu never gets warm as it’s body is abs plastic, where as lotoo gets slightly warm but not as much as moonriver

Also last night I observed a wobble on volume rocker , also looks like there is a gap and you can see led from the side it is so distracting when listening to music at night (see attached)

My conclusion.. it is a phenomenal player with a sound signature I love better than go blu or lotoo but strictly for desktop use , for portable usage battery drain is a huge limitation and not to mention toasty. I wonder what it might to do internals long term if heat can’t be dissipated when you pocket the device in portable scenario

I think this is a great device which can be improved with a built in battery.

Thanks
Pc

Attachments

• B34D4D9C-6AC6-4113-8BC6-7E991366B21B.jpeg
    B34D4D9C-6AC6-4113-8BC6-7E991366B21B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #54 of 57
Hello! Try to replace the complete cable with a better one and you will get less heating and less battery loss. I use a cable like this

Attachments

• 24937275.jpg
    24937275.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 0
Jun 20, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #55 of 57
Can you please share a link so I can check it out . Even with stock cable I was getting severe battery loss, so I switched to this high end cable I got . It is shielded and works really well with go blu as well as lotoo paw s2

Jun 21, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #56 of 57
Can you please share a link so I can check it out . Even with stock cable I was getting severe battery loss, so I switched to this high end cable I got . It is shielded and works really well with go blu as well as lotoo paw s2
Hello! I'm sorry, when I wrote my message, I have not yet seen your message that you have already used a custom cable.

I specifically tested the discharge of my POCO F3 for an hour of continuous music playback on the UAPP player via a balanced audio output with a high gain.

Test conditions:

indoor temperature 31,4 degrees Celsius;

flac audio file format;

file transfer over an internal network

Result:

battery discharge was 10%;

heating is almost not felt

cable

Attachments

• IMG20220621074323.jpg
    IMG20220621074323.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0