The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Jun 8, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #3,661 of 4,317
Hi, I've just received Monoprice 9963s with Comply S400 tips to replace my $15 Sony IEMs and I've been dissapointed so far.

Both on my Galaxy S3 and my PC (onboard sound card) the Monoprices sounded (Since I'm not really an audiophile I don't know how to express myself) really closed, the vocals and trebles sounded really different (in a bad way) than on my Sonys.

The songs I was listened to were in ALAC and FLAC formats.

I should also probably add that they sounded a lot better in the first 15 minutes of listening before I left then alone for 8 hours, and that other headphones I own are considered fairly bright IIRC: Sennheiser HD515, and the Sony IEMs, for which I've read to be bright but forgot the exact model.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #3,662 of 4,317
Hi, I just bought Monoprice 9963s with Comply S400 tips to replace my $15 Sony IEMs and I've been dissapointed so far.

Both on my Galaxy S3 and my PC (onboard sound card) the Monoprices sounded (Since I'm not really an audiophile I don't know how to express myself) really closed, the vocals and trebles sounded really different (in a bad way) than on my Sonys.

Have you burned them in yet?

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #3,664 of 4,317
I haven't, I'll burn them in with pink noise overnight and see if the sound improves.

Honestly, I don't think it'll help much since I had gotten very good sound the first time I listened to them.

EDIT: I found the model of the Sony IEMs, it's MDR-EX60LP.

50 hours of burning is a must. But after reviewing your first post, I feel that it may be an issue with the comply tips instead. Here is a link to an inner fidelity post where he explains what can go wrong that leads to a muffled sound. Make sure to watch the YouTube video link in the article

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comply-foam-tips-and-effects-tip-selection

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #3,665 of 4,317
When I first plugged mine in they sounded horrible, but after only a song or two then they started sounding much better. The sound hasn't changed since then. Either they didn't need much time to fully burn in or my ears were completely confused at first since I've never had headphones with this sound signature before and perhaps I needed to mentally adapt to the sound

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #3,666 of 4,317
has anyone open these babies up and take out the mesh thats covering the port hole near the nozzle?

i'm curious if the port being covered in the little mesh is resulting in the mid bass bump? ( cause my logic is that many people ( myself included covered the port at one time or another)--> increasing the mid bass bump and then poking a hole to lower the mid bass again after realizing it made the bass to bloated.

now i don't seal the hole at all, my custom mix covering over it slightly creates enough bass for me

but just curious how much more we can do on these gems!

i haven't figured out how to pry them open without destroying them

i want to be able to put them back together as if i never opened them 

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #3,667 of 4,317
Bought a pair of these based on this thread and just wanted to heap on some more praise for these!
Great detail and clarity at such a small price 
biggrin.gif

There are some problems (the fit, stock tips, wire, ect) but for the price it's a no brainer

To my ears, they easily beat:

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Panasonic RPHJE120K
MEE M9s
MEE M11s
Sennheiser CX200s
Apple Earbuds
Apple Earpods
And pretty much every other IEM I've heard

Thanks every and dsnuts for discovering these awesome little gems!

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #3,668 of 4,317
Hi all,

Long time/first time, blah blah blah. Have dabbled in mid-range phones for years. Was looking for decent IEMS for laptop listening and found this thread. Ordered 3 pairs and have been using them for a week. Thank you Dsnuts for alerting us to these. They're a miracle for $7. Paired them with TX400s. I'm hearing things in my music collection that I didn't even know were there. In one case, there are background vocals in a song that I've never heard before until using these phones.

The only complaint I have is that they are a bit more fatiguing than others I've used, but easily tamed with EQ. Truly amazing; I've turned several other people on to these and have ordered 5 more pairs for myself.

happy listening

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #3,669 of 4,317
just got the 9927, and they sound good, but they seemed very imbalanced, to make them sound correct (to me at least) in foobar i had to use the following settings... 

are people getting similar curves? i couldnt find people complaining about this in the thread(no i didnt read the 245 pages :D)

I am by no means an audiophile, so i may be completely wrong :D

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #3,671 of 4,317
Quote:
has anyone open these babies up and take out the mesh thats covering the port hole near the nozzle?

i'm curious if the port being covered in the little mesh is resulting in the mid bass bump? ( cause my logic is that many people ( myself included covered the port at one time or another)--> increasing the mid bass bump and then poking a hole to lower the mid bass again after realizing it made the bass to bloated.

now i don't seal the hole at all, my custom mix covering over it slightly creates enough bass for me

but just curious how much more we can do on these gems!

i haven't figured out how to pry them open without destroying them

i want to be able to put them back together as if i never opened them 

I tried modding my pair that has less bass than my other pair alias defective pair, my guess for QC problem are that the mesh have a vary of pore size.
anyway i tried to remove the mesh on the back vent and replace with paper tape and puncture a hole..that solve the problem. the mid bass are a bit more and also warmer. my suggestion for the hole size: to puncture really small hole with just the tip of needle and it has the same amount of bass with normal pair.
I adjust the size of hole so it has at least the same amount of bass with my normal pair, the result are a bit warmer but I don't mind.
also realize that covering front vent increasing the mid bass but also more peaky, and back vent modification affect mid bass and mid but doesn't affect the upper mid.

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #3,672 of 4,317
If you're having to EQ your treble that much because spikes, then it's likely you don't have a proper seal.

Of course YMMV.

Jun 26, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #3,673 of 4,317
first post yay! Just got new 9927 buds. My old 8320s got ripped to shreds by my dog. :frowning2: 

I have to say, these 9927s sound a bit richer and clearer to me. Is it just the placebo of getting shiny new earbuds? Or do they use a different driver?

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #3,674 of 4,317
Same driver so they should sound the same.
It is possible that you're getting a better fit because of the rubber coating on the housing but more than likely it's placebo.
Regardless, you can be happy that you have another awesome set of IEMS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back