The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
May 14, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #3,588 of 4,317
Quote:
Hey guys. Monoprice has released a new line of in-ear headphones.
I'm curious to see how they would fare against their famed 8320/9927/whatever the numbers are now.

Link from their Facebook page.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=130513earbud&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=posting&utm_content=130513_earbuds&utm_campaign=new_q2_2013

I'll probably give them a try. Their last new ones with the metallic shell were total trash, a far reach from the 9927s. 

May 14, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #3,589 of 4,317
Quote:
forgot to post this... but this is what they look like when placed in the ear..   not so pretty but very functional, stays inplace, isolates well and feels like im not wearing anything at all.. .. 

LOL!!! Damn man, I hope you don't go out in public like that.

May 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #3,590 of 4,317
Quote:

I'll probably give them a try. Their last new ones with the metallic shell were total trash, a far reach from the 9927s. 

I actually contacted Monoprice's product support. They blatantly told me that the 8320/9927 will be better than their new ones with mics, as the mic function itself is the main 'goal' or function of the new models.

May 14, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #3,594 of 4,317
So I hate to be that guy, but I'm about to take a dump all over these IEMs. If you're a fan, look away!

I was in need of buying a ton of cables from Monoprice for a laboratory setup, so while I was at it, I decided to order the 8320s. Just figured I'd give them a try, because for 7.11, why not? 

Well, honestly, I think they sound terrible. I mean, for the price, they're not bad, because what can you get these days for 7.11? Maybe my pair is defective but you couldn't pay me to listen to these. I genuinely would rather listen to the stock Samsung earbuds that came with my smartphone or a set of EarPods. These just don't sound good, lack clarity all over the spectrum, and have a horrible muddy bass. 

Save your 7.11 (actually 7.52) and put it toward a better set of headphones or a nice hearty double double-double with animal fries at In-N-Out.

EDIT: To clarify, maybe these might punch above their wallet-friendly weight and into the $20-30 range. I'd probably agree with that. But honestly, that's not saying much as that entire price range is ripe with mediocrity and overpriced versions of the same OEM product. So sure, it's better than it's price indicates, but that doesn't mean it's actually any good still, because in my humble opinion, it's not. Koss' KSC75 remains the champion in that price category, period.

May 14, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #3,596 of 4,317
Mine were the same. Totally agree, but that changed. Threw some sennheiser double flange tips on them that I had and after about 75 hours of burn-in they seriously opened up. The bass came out to play as well.

One major factor is that they really open up with more juice - a lot. So my C&C BH made a significant difference.

If yours have low mileage, a poor seal, and from your iPhone, they likely sound like crap. I'm with you on that.

May 14, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #3,597 of 4,317
Quote:
Mine were the same. Totally agree, but that changed. Threw some sennheiser double flange tips on them that I had and after about 75 hours of burn-in they seriously opened up. The bass came out to play as well.

One major factor is that they really open up with more juice - a lot. So my C&C BH made a significant difference.

If yours have low mileage, a poor seal, and from your iPhone, they likely sound like crap. I'm with you on that.

Really? Mine sound the same as they did when I first got them. Both pairs do. Both sound identical.

May 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #3,598 of 4,317
Quote:
Really? Mine sound the same as they did when I first got them. Both pairs do. Both sound identical.

I got the 9927s. They were very mid-forward when I first got them, and that's about all they were. After tips, burn-in, and some juice, it's a totally different IEM. They've changed even more as I've fooled around with them for some DIY practice. After doing a recable and some other stuff, the sound has become more airy and cleaner. I still use my other cans/iems a lot more than these, but they now shine for certain genres and get a fair amount of head-time on the go.  

May 14, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #3,599 of 4,317
I can see their appeal at the price point, but at risk of sounding pretentious, I guess I just personally wouldn't listen to anything in that entire price range if I can avoid it (and if I had to, again, it would be the Koss KSC75, which is heads and shoulders above anything else I've heard at $30 and below).

May 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #3,600 of 4,317
Quote:
So I hate to be that guy, but I'm about to take a dump all over these IEMs. If you're a fan, look away!

I was in need of buying a ton of cables from Monoprice for a laboratory setup, so while I was at it, I decided to order the 8320s. Just figured I'd give them a try, because for 7.11, why not? 

Well, honestly, I think they sound terrible. I mean, for the price, they're not bad, because what can you get these days for 7.11? Maybe my pair is defective but you couldn't pay me to listen to these. I genuinely would rather listen to the stock Samsung earbuds that came with my smartphone or a set of EarPods. These just don't sound good, lack clarity all over the spectrum, and have a horrible muddy bass. 

Save your 7.11 (actually 7.52) and put it toward a better set of headphones or a nice hearty double double-double with animal fries at In-N-Out.

EDIT: To clarify, maybe these might punch above their wallet-friendly weight and into the $20-30 range. I'd probably agree with that. But honestly, that's not saying much as that entire price range is ripe with mediocrity and overpriced versions of the same OEM product. So sure, it's better than it's price indicates, but that doesn't mean it's actually any good still, because in my humble opinion, it's not. Koss' KSC75 remains the champion in that price category, period.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back