The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Apr 16, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #3,526 of 4,317
Quote:
sorry i hope i'm not misunderstanding but you molded the it with the DOUBLE FLANGE eartips on the 8320s? the mold went ontop of the silcone tips?

i saw your link on regard the double flange on buyincoins a few pages early(probably 10 pages back now) 

also i noticed something about the 8320s not sure if anyone pointed it out..
but i don't think its possible to have maximum isolation on them anyway... disregarding the shallow nozzle

the part on the "face" of the 8320s where the 3 screws are on have little vents on it that air (sound) can seep in.

along with the fact that the nozzle is short and the port hole next to the nozzle, i don't think it would be good for commuting ( too many sounds would seep in)---> thats only if you want total isolation 

i also used this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmk-y_9exJ8

in the video if you watch closely, the nozzle had nothing blocking it, and he just shoved in in the mix, without damaging it ( because i image the compressed air inside the earphones prevented any of the mix from getting in... -- > so no vents= no mix leaking inside

but for home use.... oh my thats a completely different story

oh and when you said u used 1/4 did you mean 1/4 for BOTH earphones = 1/8 for one and 1/8 for the other
or it was 1/2 a max and you split the half= 1/4 for each?
or 

i followed this for my mold..  but instead of using half for each ear i used 1/4th for each ear,,,  and i used a double flange and not a single like in the link...  http://s185.photobucket.com/user/jaejw1/story/10901

yes those are vents on the back side.... if you look carefully you can see a lil bit of silicone that has squeezed through from the outside from a previous molding,,

that youtube link i have watched probably 20 times or more...  but there is an actual link where the OP talks about not using a cover for the nozzle and how he had a hard time getting the silicone out... if im recalling it correctly..

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #3,527 of 4,317
Quote:
You're right about the vents not being able to provide maximum isolation, but that is actually a good thing. If you were to cover all the vents, the sound would be muddy and not pleasing at all.

The air wouldn't exactly be "compressed". The silicone could easily displace some of the air unless the seal against the silicone was perfect before pressing the nozzle into the silicone.

couldn't you just tape up the nozzle instead of using the cotton dams? to prevent the silicon from going inside the nozzle and then afterwards just take off the tape

from what your saying, you guys have put on eartips on your 8320s while molding them 0.0 right?? y?

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #3,528 of 4,317
I think tape would work just fine, but I haven't personally tried it.

One issue with tape might be getting it off around the nozzle's edge as the silicone would now be there and you wouldn't want to remove the sides. I think clogging up the nozzel with something allows you to flush cut the end of the nozzle off  that is covered with silicone and get a clean opening without damaging the silicone seal integrity that will be entering your canal. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #3,529 of 4,317
Just got two pairs of these in yesterday. I had wanted blue, but all they had in stock at the time I ordered were the pink... but since I'm secure in my manhood, s'all good. :wink:

I let a pair burn in overnight and.... wow! Who'd ever have thunk an $8 set of IEMs would sound this [CENSORED] good?

I actually prefer them to my trusty Atrio M5s, which cost almost 2 orders of magnitude more.

I found the best balance for bass response was to tape up the vents and then make a single pin prick.

In trying to experiment with tips, I found that all the other tips I had on hand won't fit a stem as large as these (nonstandard oversized stem?). So I can't try them with olives or anything else but the tips that came with it.

Any suggestions for something similar to olives that will fit these stems?

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #3,530 of 4,317
Quote:

In trying to experiment with tips, I found that all the other tips I had on hand won't fit a stem as large as these (nonstandard oversized stem?). So I can't try them with olives or anything else but the tips that came with it.

Any suggestions for something similar to olives that will fit these stems?

I'm currently using Sennheiser double-flanged. Picked them up off Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-6-Replacement-SENNHEISER-DOUBLE-FLANGE-Earbud-Tips-MEDIUM-In-Ear-Headphone-/110976317042?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item19d6b43672

Additionally, I like sony-hybrid tips on them, they are a tighter fit but do go on. They also have a smaller opening so it contrasts the sound compared to the Sennheiser. 

I've also tried Auvio replacement tips that I picked up from Radioshack with a coupon but are not as supple as the other two which makes them feel a little bigger than the size they say they are. They are similar to the Sennheisers in bore size. 

My current preference at this moment is the Sennheiser tips, but I'm still playing around with the other two until I decide since I just did a re-cable on my pair. 

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #3,531 of 4,317
Apr 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #3,532 of 4,317
Quote:
Comply T-400s. Expensive but sooo worth it.

X2 - I had a hell of a time getting a seal with anything I tried - only after putting on large Complys did I really get a feel for the capabilities of these bad boys. The bass came out to play. Mine haven't even been burned in more than 20 hours yet....

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #3,533 of 4,317
I posted this in the deals thread but for those checking this thread monoprice has 8320 for $6.43 not sure for how long.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #3,534 of 4,317
Quote:
X2 - I had a hell of a time getting a seal with anything I tried - only after putting on large Complys did I really get a feel for the capabilities of these bad boys. The bass came out to play. Mine haven't even been burned in more than 20 hours yet....

can't use the complys... i used a pack for my klipsch s4i... 

i just recently used up my last pair... it lasted about 3 weeks probably.... thats far too short for something that expensive... this morning it just didn't compress anymore...luckily i saw it happening the night before and had a pair of shure olive tips in a baggie... no problem

shures are better imo (full package, 5 pack for the bit cheaper than a 3 pack of complys) no where near as comfortable for far more durable and better isolation. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #3,535 of 4,317
Quote:
can't use the complys... i used a pack for my klipsch s4i... 

i just recently used up my last pair... it lasted about 3 weeks probably.... thats far too short for something that expensive... this morning it just didn't compress anymore...luckily i saw it happening the night before and had a pair of shure olive tips in a baggie... no problem

shures are better imo (full package, 5 pack for the bit cheaper than a 3 pack of complys) no where near as comfortable for far more durable and better isolation. 

Yeah, foam tips just don't last that long. But I can buy a 5-pack for around $20-if that means I'm paying $4 a month for my rig, so be it...it's nothing compared to what I spend on gear.

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #3,536 of 4,317
Got the Comply T-400s in today... what you don't see is that big crap-eating grin on my face as I'm listening to the 9927 with the Complys.

I challenge anyone to find a better bang-for-the-buck combo. My Atrios have been relegated to drawer status.

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #3,537 of 4,317
Quote:
Got the Comply T-400s in today... what you don't see is that big crap-eating grin on my face as I'm listening to the 9927 with the Complys.

I challenge anyone to find a better bang-for-the-buck combo.

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!  I could not agree more as I listen to mine with the same exact setup! 
cool.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #3,540 of 4,317
Quote:
Me too. I tried some s series 400s I got for $5 a pack, but there're not as good as the T-400.

Yeah...the S series would be nice on a budget if they could stack up to the others. There's a reason they're cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back