The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Mar 9, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #3,346 of 4,317
My 9980s arrived today. Only had a little time to put into them, about 15 minutes or so. My C&C BH came in so I had to play with that new toy as well. 

The cord is flat and rubbery asymmetrical type.It feels a little like a smooth rubber band but without the spring.
Its an improvement over the 9927's cord that is trying to murder me in the tangled mess of doom. The volume control hangs about 2 inches below the chin on the left cord in a kind of awkward spot, but I have no plans on using it so it doesn't really bother me at all, yet.

Buds are very light with textured aluminum housing. The colors on the housing are nice and vibrant: Gun metal and Christmas red. 
Tips are a slightly harder silicon than the 9927s and have smaller diameter opening. 

For the 10 minutes I listened right out of the box they sounded slightly recessed in the mids and a little with moderately bloated bass. I'll burn them in and do some A/B then post some detailed impressions.

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #3,347 of 4,317
My 9980s arrived today. Only had a little time to put into them, about 15 minutes or so. My C&C BH came in so I had to play with that new toy as well. 

The cord is flat and rubbery asymmetrical type.It feels a little like a smooth rubber band but without the spring.
Its an improvement over the 9927's cord that is trying to murder me in the tangled mess of doom. The volume control hangs about 2 inches below the chin on the left cord in a kind of awkward spot, but I have no plans on using it so it doesn't really bother me at all, yet.

Buds are very light with textured aluminum housing. The colors on the housing are nice and vibrant: Gun metal and Christmas red. 
Tips are a slightly harder silicon than the 9927s and have smaller diameter opening. 

For the 10 minutes I listened right out of the box they sounded slightly recessed in the mids and a little with moderately bloated bass. I'll burn them in and do some A/B then post some detailed impressions.

Really looking forward to review and details :)
They've been going in and out of stock for the past day or so, so if they're delayed just check back later.

Sent from my Captivate Glide

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #3,348 of 4,317
I'm just ordering a few more pairs of these and I was wondering what the best mods for them are. The things I'd like to improve are sound isolation and the cable. 

So give me your suggestions! Is there any point re-cabling with a budget of £20 or would I be better off trying to put some extra cladding over the stock cable? I find it irritating how it seems to amplify every slight brush of the cable.

If there are any other mods worth doing then please let me know. 
etysmile.gif

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #3,349 of 4,317
I'm just ordering a few more pairs of these and I was wondering what the best mods for them are. The things I'd like to improve are sound isolation and the cable. 

So give me your suggestions! Is there any point re-cabling with a budget of £20 or would I be better off trying to put some extra cladding over the stock cable? I find it irritating how it seems to amplify every slight brush of the cable.

If there are any other mods worth doing then please let me know. 
etysmile.gif

I recently posted several pixs and links.... the silicone mold helps with fit and comfort and isolation and the over-the-ear-guides help with microphonics and cable management

Mar 10, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #3,350 of 4,317
Quote:
I recently posted several pixs and links.... the silicone mold helps with fit and comfort and isolation and the over-the-ear-guides help with microphonics and cable management

Could you post some links for places where you can buy the material you used for molding? I had a quick search but turned up nothing.

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #3,351 of 4,317
Mar 10, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #3,352 of 4,317
Quote:
http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/silicone-singles-1.html    10 packs come in that single package...  each pack can do a pair of large molds or 2 pairs of smaller molds or 4 pairs of tips

i also bought these to protect my inner ear,,,  http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/cotton-ear-dams-size-4-mini-2.html

and tips i bought from buyincoins.com  were about a buck for 3 pairs...

and the over the ear guides..  http://www.meelec.com/category_s/393.htm

Just a heads up-neither of the Westone links are working.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #3,353 of 4,317
Mar 11, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #3,354 of 4,317
Mar 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #3,355 of 4,317
Mar 11, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #3,356 of 4,317
im still checking on things....  these were a newer set and it wasnt used  much...  so the punchiness isnt like my other one and some songs (vocals) dont sound as bright...   it could be that the entire thing is enclosed...   i just realized that the monoprice had actual vent holes on the back (faceplate)..  if you look at the photos you can see that some silicone actually squeezed through,,,  so this might be affecting the sound...   

i will give it a few more days or so but im not going to hold my breath on it,
 its not something that i would wear out in public since the large driver makes the mold itself larger than desired.. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #3,357 of 4,317
So I have about 20 hours of burn in on the Monoprice 9980. I've done a little tip rolling, but still have some more to try. 

Sound is disappointing. The highs (the worst part) are tiny, metallic, and sssssssuper sibilant. The bass is a bloated mess: It's loose and is unexciting. 
The mids sound veiled and recessed. You can get the JVC FX1X "Xtreme Xplosives" and would be 10x more happy than with these (currently).

Maybe something magical will happen with more burn in/tip rolling. Also fiddling with different depths of insertion to see if that makes a difference.
But I'm afraid that continual listening as it is might somehow infect me with mediocrity.
At this moment I would say save your $15 and try molding with your 8320/9927 for fun like jaejw1 has been showing us. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #3,358 of 4,317
I gotta say, I really don't see what all the fuss with the Monoprice 9927/8320 is all about. They sound so thin and lifeless, and the treble is super harsh.

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #3,359 of 4,317
Quote:
I gotta say, I really don't see what all the fuss with the Monoprice 9927/8320 is all about. They sound so thin and lifeless, and the treble is super harsh.

Meh. Particularly with Complys, its not that bad. And they blow away most cheapo headphones, so they are an option for non-audiophiles who don't understand why decent sound is worth the price.

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #3,360 of 4,317
Quote:
Meh. Particularly with Complys, its not that bad. And they blow away most cheapo headphones, so they are an option for non-audiophiles who don't understand why decent sound is worth the price.

nicely put but not everyone has the money to buy or experiment with different high end phones to find the one they like the most...   kind of like searching for good car audio and home audio. you never know what its going to sound like until you get it home and set up the way you want it... 

but its a good introduction for those just getting into it.. and a good way to experiment with different mods..   decent sound is all in the ears of the beholder..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back