The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Dec 31, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #2,986 of 4,317
I agree they are better at lower to normal volume levels. But hey, that's fine with me because I have no intention of blowing out my eardrums anytime soon.

Compared to the Philips she3580 which I've been using the past couple days that are priced around $10, I am finding the Monoprices to be more enjoyable probably because they are indeed well balanced. The she3580's definitely have a v shaped eq (oozing with bass) though the treble is better yet also a little hotter than the Monoprice set. But there's something about the Monoprice's that is just so good (is this the "sparkle" people are referring to??)  And when playing a first person shooter game (Counter Strike Source) I can pick out EXACTLY where enemies are coming from. I am very tempted to head over to the monoprice site right now and order a few back up pairs.

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #2,987 of 4,317
Quote:
It's more important to get the right fit and tips.

I agree and I'm not convinced the comply tips are the end all, be all. Better for sure than stock tips but still might not be optimal.

If anybody here has the comply's 400's, install them backwards and cover up the port hole on the inside of the driver. How does that change the sound?

After a few more days with the t-400's ( i have the t-400 not tx) one thing seems clear. I can really hear the difference in 96k vs.320K and the quality of the file now dictates the quality of sound as much as the fit once did.

They may not be the best IEM under $500.00 but I suspect they are the best IEM under $10.00, and I think we need to keep that in perspective. I think they are mid forward IEM's and if you are a vocal head, and not a bass head, then you might like what you hear.

To draw a car audio analogy. The difference between the MH1c and 8320 in the bass response, is the difference in having a ported sub box or.sealed. The 8320 is the sealed 10", and the Mh1c the ported 12". The MH1c bass enters my ears from each side and pushes inward. The 8320 enters at the top of my head and pushes down the back of my neck.

My own MH1c and 8320 shootout tells me the MH1c may indeed be more detailed at certain frequencies but the 8320 is overall brighter. The type of music I prefer often has subtle nuances. It's World, Chillout, Cafe del Mar, Ibiza kind of music. Digitally imported lounge http://www.di.fm/lounge

IMO, all instrument separation and especially mids are important for bringing the story line up close, and that mid brightest in the 8320 helps do that for me.

I wear my mine on the windy beach most every morning to workout. Low Microphonics and good isolation are important to me. The 8320 meets both of those needs and at $10, if they get wet or lost, it's not the end of the world.

I'm running 2 sound managers and Eqed to within the limit of the law. I'm on a Galaxy Note II, using Poweramp, Noozxoide EIZO-rewire, and Stweaks. I think I'm getting pretty much everything out of the file at the mid to high end, and considering line filters now for noise.

Bottom line is that the 8320 still sounds really nice to my ears if I have a good file, and I'm guessing if amped, they would sound downright pretty. 

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #2,988 of 4,317
Quote:
Tried them with some foamies, but they muffled the sound a bit too much.

I found the exact same thing so I put the Comply on backward. Now, the inside tube shoots straight down the ear canal and nothing get's lost. Doing it that way also keeps the ends opens should the end of the tip be hitting skin inside the ear. I think I read where the muffle comes from the tube inside the foam tips not going to the end. Some people are trimming the excess foam off the Comply's I read.

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #2,989 of 4,317
finally got my double flanged ,,, i have to admit the bass seemed to increase a bit on the lower end...  but maybe its just my excitement of actually having the new tips...   but they do seal a lil better

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #2,990 of 4,317
I just ordered my pair :) i don't know much about sound quality (my last pair of earphones were Skullcandy Ink'd ) but I've researched a lot and hear that the Monoprice 8320 are good so I bought them :) First post on Head-Fi and I've already spent money ahahahaaha 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #2,991 of 4,317
Quote:
I just ordered my pair :) i don't know much about sound quality (my last pair of earphones were Skullcandy Ink'd ) but I've researched a lot and hear that the Monoprice 8320 are good so I bought them :) First post on Head-Fi and I've already spent money ahahahaaha 
rolleyes.gif

Trust me, cancel your account and never come back.  This place will eat your wallet alive!  Run away while you can!

That said, love my 8320s! 

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #2,992 of 4,317
Quote:

Trust me, cancel your account and never come back.  This place will eat your wallet alive!  Run away while you can!

That said, love my 8320s! 

True dat. Head-Fi i the most friendly forum I've been on-but we all HATE wallets. Every time someone comes in with a wallet, we attack said wallet with the ferocity of a lion. We LOVE killing wallets. DEATH TO WALLETS EVERYWHERE!!!

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #2,994 of 4,317
Quote:
What you said is true you know, this is actually a really friendly forum :D but anyway i don't want to ruin this thread so let's get back on the topic of these awesome earphones :)

Good point. Really been meaning to pick some of these up, but I hear the cable sucks. I have some basic soldering skills, where would I get some good cables to replace the 8320s?

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #2,995 of 4,317
@rewind94- Coming from skullcandy ink'd you will probably feel like these have no bass. Be prepared to train your ears to listen for it on the 8320's, because with a good seal they do have bass which is very detailed, accurate, and balanced whereas ink'd bass in comparison is all up in your face and vibrates the wax right out of your ears.  Music will be much different with the 8320's, you will hear things in songs the skullcandies could never touch

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #2,996 of 4,317
Quote:
@rewind94- Coming from skullcandy ink'd you will probably feel like these have no bass. Be prepared to train your ears to listen for it on the 8320's, because with a good seal they do have bass which is very detailed, accurate, and balanced whereas ink'd bass in comparison is all up in your face and vibrates the wax right out of your ears.  Music will be much different with the 8320's, you will hear things in songs the skullcandies could never touch

"Vibrates the wax right out of your ears". Brilliant. New method for removing ear wax-buy some BEATS!

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #2,997 of 4,317
Quote:

I hear some people talking about a 'tape mod' for the 8320. What effects does such a mod have?

@ender323 Funny you should say something about recabling these, I'm going to solder on a HTC wire, so I can have ; volume controls, pause/play button and a microphone all built with the great sound of the 8320 :)

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #2,999 of 4,317
Quote:
I hear some people talking about a 'tape mod' for the 8320. What effects does such a mod have?

@ender323 Funny you should say something about recabling these, I'm going to solder on a HTC wire, so I can have ; volume controls, pause/play button and a microphone all built with the great sound of the 8320 :)

My only guess it is taping the joint between the plug and the cable, or the IEM and the cable, to keep them from breaking. Or maybe covering the cable in tape to reduce microphonics?
Volume controls always bug me, as I have an amp, meaning it doesn't work. Though, as I have some UE triplefi 10s on the way, they will probably be for my brother, so the controls might be nice.

Quote:
I have my iPhone on bass boost and its perfect

I've always hated iPhone EQ, but it is probably due to my already-bass-heavy S4s, with their already-bass-heavy Comply tips.

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #3,000 of 4,317
Quote:

On mine, taping up that hole gave it more bass. It wasn't clean bass but there was more. My guess is, they figured out if they drilled a hole that the bass would be more balanced with mids and highs. You can also tape up the hole and punch a smaller hole in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back