The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Aug 28, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #2,356 of 4,317
Wow, the comply t-400 small tips made an amazing difference in fit and sound for me.  I see how they can get away with charging so much for foam!  I also figured out i needed to rotate the iem more so that the letters R/L on the plug were upright when i was wearing them.  when i did that the angle on the tips was much more comfortable, go figure, right!   It also doesn't seem like a big deal to wear the cord over the ear this way... speaking of the cord, wow, i don't think i could tangle it more if i tried, every time i get them out, no matter how carefully i wrap the cable when i put them away... oh well, seems durable anyway... maybe i'll have to search back through the thread for re-cable ideas.  These will definitely do the job for mowing the lawn now :wink:  Monoprice should def ship with the comply tips!  I also noticed that the low end on these disappears on my dell desktop soundcard more than it does with my other phones... sounds MUCH better with my HTC Evo 4g LTE's (like the HTC One XL) output...  I'm gonna have to go look at USB DACs now :)

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #2,357 of 4,317
The fit on these is definitely different. I think some of the people who have had a bad fit were wearing them wrong. They could use a diagram showing the proper fit. If you want more bass there is a little hole by the nozzle, if you cover this up the bass is raised significantly, but it also compresses the sound. These also EQ very well. Check out the Fiio E7 portable amp/DAC for your computer. It's a great starter amp/DAC.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #2,358 of 4,317
Quote:
The fit on these is definitely different. I think some of the people who have had a bad fit were wearing them wrong. They could use a diagram showing the proper fit. If you want more bass there is a little hole by the nozzle, if you cover this up the bass is raised significantly, but it also compresses the sound. These also EQ very well. Check out the Fiio E7 portable amp/DAC for your computer. It's a great starter amp/DAC.

thanks, Jonny.  I figure it is about time I invest in a usb DAC, after all, i do spend all day at work wearing headphones at my computer!  After some quick research i'm trying to decide between the Fiio E10 and E17.  (I don't really need portability since my HTC phone amp does a satisfactory job for the small amount of time i'm mobile)

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #2,359 of 4,317
I just re-cabled a pair of 8320's using the cable from the HS3000 Samsung blue tooth receiver I recently picked up.  SQ was generally poor.  It was a silicone wired short 20" and very tangle free.  The results were very good.  Much less frustration and much lower microphonics.  I have another cable I'm going to rob from my M-9's.   Anyone know of a good source for just the cable at a bargain price? 

Just an observation-  I wear my iem's rotated back even more than you do.  The silver shark fin is rotated to fit under that fold of ear that curves next to it.  Just sayin...

I'm also getting some weak low end on a particular amp I'm using.  I think it has something to do with the output impedance of my different amps.  I'm still trying to sort this out.  One DAC failed to keep up any low end.  My Sansa's all sound great.  Go figure...

I'm still liking the sound, maybe a bit bright and could have more punch in the lower end but as mentioned before there are ways around that.  I am trying different tips too...

Aug 28, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #2,362 of 4,317
How is everyone finding the soundstage on these compared to their other IEM's? I kinda feel like it's a little narrow compared to some of my other phones. Anyone else noticed this?

Yes. I keep judging these against my other expensive IEMs and then I have to keep in mind that I got these for $8.00 delivered and that puts them back in perspective. I went out and bought some $20 JVC Marshmellows to compare them to (these used to be my favorite headphones) the sound is more natural sounding and smooth when compared to the Marshmellows. When I wear my IE8s or MDTs and then put these on, I give my head a minute to adjust and I don't miss them. In contrast, when I wear my Marshmellows or Diddy Beats I'm reminded how bad the sound is. I also like these because I don't have to worry about taking care of them. If I fall asleep and wake up tangled up in them and break them it's no problem. I broke bothe strain reliefs on my MTPGs falling asleep in them. I can't think of any other IEMs that I enjoy the sound of that I don't mind if they break. I think these are the best bang for the buck IEMs hands down.

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #2,363 of 4,317
Quote:
I just re-cabled a pair of 8320's using the cable from the HS3000 Samsung blue tooth receiver I recently picked up.  SQ was generally poor.  It was a silicone wired short 20" and very tangle free.  The results were very good.  Much less frustration and much lower microphonics.  I have another cable I'm going to rob from my M-9's.   Anyone know of a good source for just the cable at a bargain price? 

Just an observation-  I wear my iem's rotated back even more than you do.  The silver shark fin is rotated to fit under that fold of ear that curves next to it.  Just sayin...

I'm also getting some weak low end on a particular amp I'm using.  I think it has something to do with the output impedance of my different amps.  I'm still trying to sort this out.  One DAC failed to keep up any low end.  My Sansa's all sound great.  Go figure...

I'm still liking the sound, maybe a bit bright and could have more punch in the lower end but as mentioned before there are ways around that.  I am trying different tips too...

Maybe you can share insights on the methods of your re-cabling?

I also wore them like that, the strain relief will fit inside the fold of my ear :D

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #2,364 of 4,317

DSnuts covered the re-cabling in the first post in this thread.  I've been through about 400 posts already and only have about 2000 more to go before I know what other info is buried here.  :)

You can get one of these "helpers" with alligator clips and magnifier for about $5 at hardware or electronics stores.  I would not try this without one unless you have wonderful dexterity.  A good pair of sharp tweezers comes in very handy for the left hand while you use the soldering iron in the right.

The soldering iron is a 25W that must be about 30 years old (not pictured).  I'm planning to get a new one.  :)  The tip is sharpened to a conical fine point with a file.  The idea is just about any soldering iron will do.  Everything else is well covered in the first post.  I might do another cable this weekend and can fill in some steps if anyone thinks I should.

One thing to make opening the iem's easier and safer is to stick them in a ball of that "BlueStick Adhesive putty" and work the seam with a safety razor with the guarded upper edge and keep your fingers from beneath the blade.  Try not to cut through the extended lip on the 8320's.  When you get a spread started a small screwdriver can finish the job.

Glueing all this back together is somewhat tricky if you use gel super glue.  It gets messy.  I'll do a better job on my second IEM.  Small clamps here would be great if you have them.  I might try a water based glue on my second pair.  I'm thinking a couple of clothes pins could be real handy here.

You can rob a cable from just about anything I guess.  I'm waiting for a "Slickdeal" to come up for some cheap IEM's just to get the cable.  Can't think of anything else right now.  Enjoy!

More Edit:

I would like to comment on the quality of this IEM.  The workmanship inside is first class.  A strong glue holds the monitor in place and the solder joints are well formed.  Someone used some care puting this together.  This is much different than the Samsung IEM's that came with my blue tooth receiver.  That was a pathetic mess when I opened it up.  Quality on this 8320 can be deceptive.  The case I could probably stand on.  It's a strange shape to be sure.  It looks like a Russian design to me, like a little sputnik...  or the 50's hair dryer.  That was a good one.

Aug 29, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #2,365 of 4,317
Quote:

how come I've missed that first post
confused_face_2.gif
, I always go to the last page to read updates.

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #2,367 of 4,317
I would love to try these but the simply ludicrous shipping cost to the UK puts me off.

bummer.

Contact this member, he has some for sale from my understanding. And I think he's in the UK?

http://www.head-fi.org/u/47483/some1

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #2,368 of 4,317
Quote:
I would love to try these but the simply ludicrous shipping cost to the UK puts me off.

bummer.

Quote:
Contact this member, he has some for sale from my understanding. And I think he's in the UK?
http://www.head-fi.org/u/47483/some1

I still have plenty to go around, roll up, roll up.

Thanks H20Fidelity.

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #2,369 of 4,317

DSnuts covered the re-cabling in the first post in this thread.  I've been through about 400 posts already and only have about 2000 more to go before I know what other info is buried here.  :)

You can get one of these "helpers" with alligator clips and magnifier for about $5 at hardware or electronics stores.  I would not try this without one unless you have wonderful dexterity.  A good pair of sharp tweezers comes in very handy for the left hand while you use the soldering iron in the right.

The soldering iron is a 25W that must be about 30 years old (not pictured).  I'm planning to get a new one.  :)  The tip is sharpened to a conical fine point with a file.  The idea is just about any soldering iron will do.  Everything else is well covered in the first post.  I might do another cable this weekend and can fill in some steps if anyone thinks I should.

One thing to make opening the iem's easier and safer is to stick them in a ball of that "BlueStick Adhesive putty" and work the seam with a safety razor with the guarded upper edge and keep your fingers from beneath the blade.  Try not to cut through the extended lip on the 8320's.  When you get a spread started a small screwdriver can finish the job.

Glueing all this back together is somewhat tricky if you use gel super glue.  It gets messy.  I'll do a better job on my second IEM.  Small clamps here would be great if you have them.  I might try a water based glue on my second pair.  I'm thinking a couple of clothes pins could be real handy here.

You can rob a cable from just about anything I guess.  I'm waiting for a "Slickdeal" to come up for some cheap IEM's just to get the cable.  Can't think of anything else right now.  Enjoy!

More Edit:

I would like to comment on the quality of this IEM.  The workmanship inside is first class.  A strong glue holds the monitor in place and the solder joints are well formed.  Someone used some care puting this together.  This is much different than the Samsung IEM's that came with my blue tooth receiver.  That was a pathetic mess when I opened it up.  Quality on this 8320 can be deceptive.  The case I could probably stand on.  It's a strange shape to be sure.  It looks like a Russian design to me, like a little sputnik...  or the 50's hair dryer.  That was a good one.

Thank you for this! I've been wanting to remove the stock cable and put one on with control talk, but had no idea how to go about it.

I read the entire thread and the things that stood out to me were

Dsnuts showing how to make a pair of makeshift tips
Covering the small hole next to the nozzle with tape for a big bass boost or poking holes in the tape for desired bass increase.
They EQ very well, and work well with the IOS app BBE
Comply foam tips seem to be the favorite tip (I use the large double flange tip from my IE8)
For good fit the jut needs to be facing up to fit in the fold of your ear with the wire facing forward. Consequently people with small ears will have a hard time with the fit.
Monoprice is awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back