The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Nov 27, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #436 of 4,317
I plugged this IEM to my Cosmic Headroom with upgraded module and it sounds like a full bodied headphone. Granted, I can only turn up the volume knob little and it is already too loud so not much of volume control but nonetheless it sounds very nice. The tip that I settled is the medium size tip that came with my Q-Jays IEM. It also responds to equalizer well. I don't normally post about these FOTM thing but I can't help myself how impressed with this little IEM.

I will say it again, this Monoprice IEM will not topple your flagship models in sound quality but you got to try it out for yourself if you can, all in a price of two Chai Latte in coffee shop.

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #438 of 4,317
I think I'm some kind of mutant @.@  They sound awesome! It feels like I'm getting a good, comfortable seal with the stock tips they had on, though. The rest of the housing comfortably rests in my ear as well. I'm actually having a harder time getting a seal with the triple & double flanges from my CX21P on these. Well, everyone's ears are different, right? I love the cable too, the fabric is nice imo. Always hated the rubbery texture most cables have, and no tangling problems because of the little devil-fingers trick. ;p Still, having trouble believing I'm pretty much having the opposite experience of everyone else as far as everything but the sound goes. >.<

Nonetheless, still going to try the mods I linked. Menards has some 100% silicone for a few dollars, and I have a small enough hole-punch around here somewhere...

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #440 of 4,317

Quote:
I think I'm some kind of mutant @.@  They sound awesome! It feels like I'm getting a good, comfortable seal with the stock tips they had on, though. The rest of the housing comfortably rests in my ear as well. I'm actually having a harder time getting a seal with the triple & double flanges from my CX21P on these. Well, everyone's ears are different, right? I love the cable too, the fabric is nice imo. Always hated the rubbery texture most cables have, and no tangling problems because of the little devil-fingers trick. ;p Still, having trouble believing I'm pretty much having the opposite experience of everyone else as far as everything but the sound goes. >.<

Nonetheless, still going to try the mods I linked. Menards has some 100% silicone for a few dollars, and I have a small enough hole-punch around here somewhere...

The stock tips are function able I suppose. Maybe the opposite, maybe you have perfect ears. I think the stock configuration would be more geared to a mid sized ear with perfect shape...I have to agree on the chord on these. I have been very rough on mine even stepping on them and I pull out my 8320 with the chord all the time and these have performed time and time again.. As flimsy looking and thin as the chord is they are actually strong and firm..

Nov 27, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #441 of 4,317

Quote:
They do kinda stick out but hey who says you can't use some high quality model paint and color them your favorite color.? I have a 2nd pair I am planning to do a bit of customization on. We will see.. Please do try one and see for yourself. I think these are outta control good for the price but hey you guys all know how I feel about them..

With that being said I am excited to see how these stack up to a Sony EX600. I am guessing a lesser stage on the 8320, flatter more neutral sound with better detail and quality bass on the Sonys. What is gonna sound better with Trance.. That is the question.

These could definitely be visually modified; you could try power coating them black--i think that could look nice

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #442 of 4,317
Got these as part of a UK group buy and gotta say first impressions are that they are still worth even paying a little extra for them. Fit i would agree is everything, i am using them with Sony Hybrids but i tried with Comply Tips and didn't like them at all. More detailed than i would expect them to be but less bass than i would expect so far, maybe they will change over time as i've only put about 4 hours on them. Now trying them with my Practical Devices XM4 (not really sure if this is overkill for them as they are only 16ohms) and i prefer it with the amp and with the bass boost even more.

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #445 of 4,317
Jesus! I once said the engineers of the GR07 used level 99 witchcraft, but I think i have to transfer that title to the people that came up with the 8320 just for the sheer value of this product. For <$75 there is NONE better. Sometimes I find myself reaching for them over my GR07. I don't know why...maybe the extra 3mm that the 8320's driver has over the GR07 gives it a slight edge in...something. Everyone should try this out. I especially recommend the hifiman biflange tips for these. Amazing job Dsnuts, keep it up. 

Full disclosure: I have my iphone eq on rock. it really mellows out the sound and adds to the soundstage

Nov 27, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #446 of 4,317

Quote:
Jesus! I once said the engineers of the GR07 used level 99 witchcraft, but I think i have to transfer that title to the people that came up with the 8320 just for the sheer value of this product. For <$75 there is NONE better. Sometimes I find myself reaching for them over my GR07. I don't know why...maybe the extra 3mm that the 8320's driver has over the GR07 gives it a slight edge in...something. Everyone should try this out. I especially recommend the hifiman biflange tips for these. Amazing job Dsnuts, keep it up. 

Full disclosure: I have my iphone eq on rock. it really mellows out the sound and adds to the soundstage

Wow man it sounds like these have grown on you..I think I was in the same state of awe when the thought of how this community would react to these. The non reaction I would get when guys were looking for proper sounding iems on the cheap. I suppose $7.11 is too cheap? lol. The community reaction would be.."Pass by this Dsnuts suggestion he must be crazy." I must be. 

I love the energy of these 8320. It is a sound that is hard to replicate in headphones and or earphones.. I don't know if these have that "audiophile" quality on them but the energy mixed with ample stage clean sound and bass has me reaching for these constantly..It is a dumb statement as common sense would say. I can grab my Denon D2000s or any of my basshead cans but why I choose to grab these? You said it. It has that..something.  It is the lil Iem that could.

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #447 of 4,317
Just got mine in 5min ago and i like how these sound very smooth and balanced much better than the asking price of $7.11!

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #448 of 4,317
5minuites ago? I suppose you guys might as well throw the whole 24 hours of burn out the door on a cheapo iem. Good to hear you got your monies worth. I have a feeling for the guys that initially like the sound signature these will grow on you guys the most... Try out all your music you will see just how much these excel.. I am willing to bet you have never heard the sweet sounds of your tunes through something so cheap yet get such a good sound from... Burn in and try your eq and amps. These will indeed grow on you. Give us some updates..

Once again I would like the throw a big thanks and give up some PROPS to all the guys that was willing to throw out any type of reasoning to try these out. Lets see how far we can push this thread with this little gem...

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #449 of 4,317

The best $7.11 spent all year.   I found they need a little amplification if I was going to use my iPhone as a source and Apple Lossless files (MP3s, no need for amp'ing).  I'm using the cMoyBB.   I have to be careful though, these earphones will distort quickly.   Bass is deep and extended.  Definitely not one note bass.  Not as transparent as my RE-262 nor my previous RE-Zero.   Definitely warmer than RE-Zero but less so than the RE-262.  Slight trace of sibilance with some tracks but not worrisome.  Getting a proper seal is a big issue with these earphones.  I never like foam tips, just doesn't work well for me.  However, I do like the bi-flange tips that come from Head-direct with the Hifiman IEMs.  Actually the stock 8320 tips work for me as well.  I'll probably order some more packs from Head-direct.  Heck, the tips will cost more than the earphones.

These are just my initial impressions (24 hours burn-in with IsoTek tracks).  Will give them more attention over the week.  Will they replace my RE-262?  No, those get across more detail and the timbre is more natural.  Do I think they're as good as my wife's $79 Apple in-ear headphones.  Yes and the 8320's look better.  And, the Apple ones are more prone to fall out of my ear whereas these stay flush against my ear.  I'll keep one pair for commuting and another at work.  Maybe pick up some more for X-mas presents.             

"You know Lloyd <Dsnuts>, just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself."

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #450 of 4,317
@Dsnuts, if I just refer to the 8320, you're not crazy!  Maybe your are in other ways, but so be it :wink:  But again thanks for introducing this one!  

I'll repeat myself, I still have hard time time twisting these out of my ears and reach for one of my (too many) relative more expensive IEM's, this lack of action should not necessarily be interpreted to as the Monoprice 8320 are better, but just that I'm very impressed with how they sound and a week ago I never have thought a $7.11 earphone could sound this great.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back