The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Nov 28, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #483 of 4,317

Quote:
Ill have to disagree with your first statement there. The treble is harsh scratchy and sibilant, not smooth at all, my ears get fatigued as soon as i press play. I wanted to let them burn in before i said anything but, i think they'v burned in long enough and they haven't changed a bit. I think Kiteki mentioned in another thread that new headphones go through a four phases, the first one being endless praise, im going to have to start the next phase, the beginning of the hate.
I seriously can not listen to these and don't think i will be using them again, the hurt my ears, sure the bass is detailed but the mids are recessed and the treble is harsh. But im not upset at paying $7 for them, how can i be?
Edit: just realized i sounded harsh there, didn't mean to. Also does no one else have a Samsung smartphone they compare these to? Im starting to feel crazy for liking the OEM's so much.

i have a samsung epic but i dont have the oem buds they came with anymore :frowning2:

Nov 28, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #484 of 4,317

I didn't say IEM's go through 4 phases that was someone else.

Anyway John In Cali thanks for your impressions I'm skipping these screaming cats then.

I was definitely impressed with the JVC FXC51 in sound quality (and coming from a real hi-fi company), but they broke on me and the bass was too much for my tastes.

I like hunting for good cheap stuff but I can't be bothered paying the shipping for these, and I recently listened to 46 cheap headphones and discovered the Skullcandy Uprock which are on the way now.

Nov 28, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #485 of 4,317

Quote:
I just got mine out of the mail. I love them. The highs are seriously smooth. Seems like you could listen to these for a long time without fatigue. I don't know all the technical terms but you can really hear the separation in all the sounds. I'm listening to them with a rockboxed clip plus and I turned up the bass a little with the equalizer and it sounds awesome. I had been listening to my JVC HA-FX1X which I like, the bass is amazing but the highs are lacking (maybe not fully broken in yet). All I have are these, JVC Marshmallows, and the JVC HA-FX1X. These are the best iems i've had, now I have the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 coming Wednesday, if the monoprices sound this good I wonder what the UE's will sound like.. It will be fun to see the difference.

good for you, everyone should at least try the tf10s. i think you'll like them, be aware some people have had trouble with the cables but not me, the tips i've used are the sony hybrids shown here: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA three "speakers" in each iem make for a very wide soundstage and the v freq curve is just right for low volume listening...they will play really loud if you decide you hate your ears < kidding

Nov 28, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #486 of 4,317
I didn't say IEM's go through 4 phases that was someone else.

Anyway John In Cali thanks for your impressions I'm skipping these screaming cats then.

I was definitely impressed with the JVC FXC51 in sound quality (and coming from a real hi-fi company), but they broke on me and the bass was too much for my tastes.

Im not sure though, maybe its just me, because i feel like im solo in saying the treble is harsh, anyone else agree with me?

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #490 of 4,317
OK I'm going to write a review on Wednesday, got the day off school due to the teachers striking. Be prepared, it might be cr*p. I'll compare it to my Miles Davis Tributes, as it would be a bit pointless stacking them up against my Etys.

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #491 of 4,317

Quote:
OK I'm going to write a review on Wednesday, got the day off school due to the teachers striking. Be prepared, it might be cr*p. I'll compare it to my Miles Davis Tributes, as it would be a bit pointless stacking them up against my Etys.

can we grade your review?
wink_face.gif

i don't think anyone would expect the detail and or resolution of the etys, which makes a direct comparison even more fun. i say do it!
don't use the phrase "mega" i will board a plane, come over there and mess up your hair! lol.

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #493 of 4,317
WESTONE 4 Vs MONOPRICE 8320

Seeing as how the original purchasers were looking for a good IEM for trance, and thus that's how Dsnuts portrayed them - as a must listen for trance, this comparison is done using Armin Van Buuren's A State of Trance 2011. I'll address issues like clarity, detail and resolution within the three categories. 

Bass: Bass impact and quality are about the same. They both deliver loads of great bass when called for. I feel with sub-bass around 60-80 hertz, the Monoprice have more quantity. They both have about the same slam from 110-130 hertz, the main frequency for trance bass kick. Now, the bass sounds very different in the two earphones because of the mids. 

Mids: This is where the W4 is dramatically different from the MP. Starting at around 150 hertz, all the way through upper mids around 7,000 hertz, the W4 are MUCH more forward, brighter, and have a large presentation. On the low mids, that means that the higher frequencies of the bass kick on the W4 have much more slam. With the mids frequencies overall, the W4 exhibits fantastic detail, imaging, resolution and clarity all the way through. There's no contest. BUT, there's a big but. On musical interludes, and buildups of songs, before the bass kick kicks in at musical peak for trance, when the music is mid-centric, the W4 is just razor sharp, clean, and completely involving. BUT, when the bass kicks in, the mids are still ultra-present and don't let me take the bass impact in like I want. The mids sort of dominate. Especially at around 7,000 hertz, at louder volumes I have to back the W4 down as it can get a bit harsh. With the MP, I can get much louder, sans harshness, and let the bass pull me in, making me feel the slam more like I were at a live show. The MP sound much more like a live show than the W4 do, without a doubt. When listening to the MP, I'm never wanting of the W4 mid detail and resolution. The MP has plenty. 

Highs: Both have nice smooth highs. The W4 is probably more extended, and a bit more present. But because again of that dominance in the upper mids on the W4, it takes some smoothness out of it. 

Conclusion: I can tell you right now that the W4 will trump the MP in many genres of music, especially stuff that employs the use of quality mids. FOR TRANCE, those mids can work against it, making me back down the volume and pushing the bass into more of a background role as compared to the mids, which end up making the W4 less lively when the music is at full tilt. 

It honestly would be a toss-up as to which pair I would reach for when listening to EDM. My $400 Westone 4, or my $7.11 Monoprice 8320. I think I would have to evaluate what I'm about to listen to. With AVB, it would be the MP. With some minimal Techno like Richie Hawtin where the mids are less present, I would go for the W4 and still get slamming bass and smooth and extended highs, and the mids, what there is of them in the music, would be razor sharp. For trance, the W4 mids are just too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back