The Modern Progressive Rock Appreciation Thread.
Jun 13, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #77 of 203
US band Birds Into Buildings, jazz influenced with hints of 1970s King Crimson.

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #78 of 203
Another US prog band off the same lable as Birds and Buildings, with a similar style and the mellotron, my favourite prog instrument. Deluge Grandure make fabulous anthemic prog.

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #79 of 203
From 2003 Italian band Areknames. Heavy eclectic prog.

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #80 of 203

Quote:
Oceansize have split? I did not know that. Sad, at least I got to see them live last year at Oran Mor in Glasgow. They should have been playing staduims and not small venues.

Agreed.  Oceansize created one of the finest catalogues of music a band has ever produced.  Every album, EP, and b-side is genius.  They're in my top 5, along with Tool, Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, and Grizzly Bear.  I'm not sure, but has Isis been mentioned in this thread?  They're a good metal-based prog band, also now defunct, sadly...

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #81 of 203
Someone should throw Umphrey's Mcgee in there. For old stuff, check out Hurt Bird Bath off of Local Band Does OK. For new stuff, check out Mantis from the album with the same name. I only listen to live sets, but those are some of my favorite studio recordings.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #82 of 203
Spanish band Kotebel are a modern slant on traditional prog, uptempo and anthemic

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #83 of 203
I love finding obscure bands from different countries and modern prog has loads of opportunities to do such. I am presently listening to Belgium band Aksak Maboul who are eclectic, avant guarde and folk influenced. The album is called 'Un peu de l'ame des bandits'and is from 1980. It is nothing like any of the other prog I know from then and sounds far more modern.

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #84 of 203
tool and opeth are amazing. nuff said.

Jul 1, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #85 of 203
Posted before, but worth another mention is Amplifire's album Octopus. It is prog metal, but not quite as heavy as Tool and Opeth.

Jul 4, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #86 of 203
Mellow, woodwind lead and a little bit different

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #88 of 203
Demians are superb, both albums Building an Empire and Mute. My favourite French band!

I have just posted about this lot in the Metal Thread, but they are crossover and deserve a mention here as well. Pilgrim Fathers and Short Circular Walks in the Hope Valley.

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #89 of 203
USA band Phidaeux. At the poppy end of modern prog with lots of influences and an easy listen. This album is called Chupacabras and the 20m 42s song of the same name is epic.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #90 of 203
I personally feel as if the modern progressive rock is lacking something compared to the 60-80's prog rock.
But then again I haven't been listening enough to the modern stuff. I do however notice that it is very different, almost as if it is a completely different genre at times.

I'll be going on vacation in a week or so, and I plan to listen to huge amounts of music in that time. Anyone have any recommendations when it comes to modern prog rock?
I already have porcupine tree, but I didn't really like them all that much.

Maybe it would help if I said that my favorite prog rock artist from 'ye olde' times are:
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Pink Floyd
King Crimson
Gentle Giant
Focus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back