The Mod Collective: Bring all your full sized headphone mods here.
Apr 27, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #76 of 521
Thanks, but most of my headphones have a hole in the center of the magnet, and those magnets look like they might partly cover them up, which is a definite no-no. Tried anything similar with a bigger hole in the center?

Every magnet I've tried (with the hole in the center) has been 2xs+ larger than the hole in the center of driver magnets.

Most of the holes in the center of stock magnets are 2-3mm. The holes in all of my magnets are 5-6mms.

Those N52 magnets posted above should work fine.

Apr 27, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #77 of 521
Every magnet I've tried (with the hole in the center) has been 2xs+ larger than the hole in the center of driver magnets.

Most of the holes in the center of stock magnets are 2-3mm. The holes in all of my magnets are 5-6mms.

Those N52 magnets posted above should work fine.
second that. The diameter of the hole in the magnet exceeds the diameter of the hole in the magnet on the backs of the driver in every headphone I have...not exactly proof that they will fit your headphones, but it seems to be the norm.

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #78 of 521
second that. The diameter of the hole in the magnet exceeds the diameter of the hole in the magnet on the backs of the driver in every headphone I have...not exactly proof that they will fit your headphones, but it seems to be the norm.

One of the only drivers I've seen where a "normal" magnet wouldn't work would be a T1 driver. But then again, with a T1 driver's ridiculous Tesla magnet, you wouldn't even need to stack any magnets LOL

HTB1Cl4aIVXXXXabXXXXq6xXFXXXR.jpg

Apr 27, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #79 of 521
One of the only drivers I've seen where a "normal" magnet wouldn't work would be a T1 driver. But then again, with a T1 driver's ridiculous Tesla magnet, you wouldn't even need to stack any magnets LOL

that's not a driver I would try to modify...I'm sure it's fine as-is...

Apr 29, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #81 of 521

Any headphone over 300 bones should have drivers that look as hitech as that :)

So many transducers on expensive headphones have such basic magnet designed structures ... plain 10c donut magnet....

Beyer Tesla, MySphere, Utopia.... etc etc should be what these companies should look at :)

Apr 29, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #82 of 521
Any headphone over 300 bones should have drivers that look as hitech as that :)

So many transducers on expensive headphones have such basic magnet designed structures ... plain 10c donut magnet....

Beyer Tesla, MySphere, Utopia.... etc etc should be what these companies should look at :)

Agreed. Look at that sexiness:

HTB1zjZPIFXXXXblXFXXq6xXFXXXN.jpg
HTB1tSOIIFXXXXXdaFXXq6xXFXXX1.jpg

Apr 29, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #83 of 521
Current CAL! Mods

Sticker from magnet removed. All ports left stock
Filled with cotton balls (2.5/cup)

Philips 9500 pad discs (must remove the original philips pads cushions)
Sheepskin hm5 XL round (regular oval hm5 not great for some reason...too thick)

over ear ccal.jpg

This was the previous over ear w hm5 XL sheep

cal open.jpg

I prefer the open for acoustic + singer types, live performances

closed for all rounder

it took a while to find a decent over ear mod, since those stock CAL pads can be annoying.

40mm bio magic... YMMV... this is simply to present over ear option with shp9500 discs and that you can have an open and closed version with them. they just snap on!

Apr 29, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #84 of 521
Current CAL! Mods

Sticker from magnet removed. All ports left stock
Filled with cotton balls (2.5/cup)

Philips 9500 pad discs (must remove the original philips pads cushions)
Sheepskin hm5 XL round (regular oval hm5 not great for some reason...too thick)

This was the previous over ear w hm5 XL sheep

I prefer the open for acoustic + singer types, live performances

closed for all rounder

it took a while to find a decent over ear mod, since those stock CAL pads can be annoying.

40mm bio magic... YMMV... this is simply to present over ear option with shp9500 discs and that you can have an open and closed version with them. they just snap on!

What do you mean by "shp9500 discs"? I have shP9500 and I don't know what "discs" you are referring to.

Thanks!

Apr 29, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #85 of 521
What do you mean by "shp9500 discs"? I have shP9500 and I don't know what "discs" you are referring to.

Thanks!

shp9500.jpg

that is what the original pads are glued onto. They snap onto the CAL, and can be snapped back onto 9500s with sheepskin XL round.
Also XL is easier than reg hm5 to get over these and not as thick (or perhaps the memory foams squish more easily. Anyway that was the shortcoming of the hm5 on CAL, too much distance with reg hm5. These XL when flattened, offer closer distance to driver of both 9500/CAL

Apr 29, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #86 of 521

that is what the original pads are glued onto. They snap onto the CAL, and can be snapped back onto 9500s with sheepskin XL round.
Also XL is easier than reg hm5 to get over these and not as thick (or perhaps the memory foams squish more easily. Anyway that was the shortcoming of the hm5 on CAL, too much distance with reg hm5. These XL when flattened, offer closer distance to driver of both 9500/CAL

Wow, good to know.

Makes me wonder if Philips is who ODMd the CAL. They would have definitely have had the superior facilities and know-how.

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #87 of 521
Wow, good to know.

Makes me wonder if Philips is who ODMd the CAL. They would have definitely have had the superior facilities and know-how.

They don't snap on like an OEM. It just fits together like two lego. One can use superglue for permanent fixture. But it doesn't come off that easily. It will stay put with the specified earpads.]
Makes for an easy comfort mod should one have CAL.9500s

May 1, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #88 of 521
Those Tesla magnets in my T50p, DT1350, and T90 are wicked strong. Makes recabling those headphones a pinch riskier compared to other headphones. Gotta grip my iron much more tightly for security.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #89 of 521
Those Tesla magnets in my T50p, DT1350, and T90 are wicked strong. Makes recabling those headphones a pinch riskier compared to other headphones. Gotta grip my iron much more tightly for security.

Ain't that the truth!

Even the stacked magnets, when combined with stock magnets, have often pulled the soldering iron right from its intended target!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back