The MMA thread (Affliction, UFC, DREAM, Strikeforce, etc.)
Dec 12, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #901 of 1,080
  Re: UFC 194 - I'm definitely looking forward to it. McGregor still hasn't fully been tested. The only thing that has been proven is that he is legit. Beating a last minute stand in doesn't say a whole lot. That said, he's a very well rounded fighter, so its a bit different than Rhonda. Women are just starting to come up, so the lack of competition has allowed her to be a one trick pony and get away with it. Well, until now hehe.  

Did you see TUF finale last night? Mendes folded like a cheap tent, and I have to assume he actually prepared for Edgar.
And Conor looked like a skeleton at the weigh-in, what's new really but even worse than usual. That has to take its toll.
Sill I think it will be a good fight, they both seem ready and it may be Aldo's finale which adds another dimension.
Although no matter who wins there will almost certainly be a rematch
popcorn.gif

edit: OMG the legend is born
rolleyes.gif

Rockhold was spectacular as well
beerchug.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #903 of 1,080
To tell you the truth, Aldo looked beaten before the fight even started. Wouldn't make eye contact and just looked tight and unengaged. I didn't expect that after his antics at the weigh-in, but that whole mimic thing was pretty out of character.

Oh well.

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #907 of 1,080
  Did you see TUF finale last night? Mendes folded like a cheap tent, and I have to assume he actually prepared for Edgar.
And Conor looked like a skeleton at the weigh-in, what's new really but even worse than usual. That has to take its toll.
Sill I think it will be a good fight, they both seem ready and it may be Aldo's finale which adds another dimension.
Although no matter who wins there will almost certainly be a rematch
popcorn.gif

edit: OMG the legend is born
rolleyes.gif

Rockhold was spectacular as well
beerchug.gif

Yeah, Mendes did fold for sure. 

I'm glad that McGregor is the real deal. If he lost last night, the whole circus would have ended, and we would be the left with the boring Aldo. Not boring in the ring but no personality. I understand some people hate the arrogance, etc. But he's the first fighter since Ali to talk that level of trash and then prove it.  

I just think its a new breed of fighters that are more dialed in to timing and body mechanics. Not just traditional style refinement. Its good to see MMA evolve. 

Personally, I was thrilled to see Rockhold win since I live about 10 miles from Santa Cruz. We had 2 UFC belts in the Bay Area. Cain lost his, and now Rockhold brought it back. a staph infection a week before and he still kind of dominated, wow. 

Good times. Rhonda got smashed, McGregor is keeping things interesting, and Rockhold is just getting started. 

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #908 of 1,080
  Yeah, Mendes did fold for sure. 

I'm glad that McGregor is the real deal. If he lost last night, he whole circus would have ended, and we would be the left with the boring Aldo. Not boring in the ring but no personality. I understand some people hate the arrogance, etc. But he's the first fighter since Ali to talk that level of trash and then prove it.  

I just think its a new bread of fighters that are more dialed in to timing and body mechanics. Not just traditional style refinement. Its good to see MMA evolve. 

Personally, I was thrilled to see Rockhold win since I live about 10 miles from Santa Cruz. We had 2 UFC belts in the Bay Area. Cain lost his, and now Rockhold brought it back. a staph infection a week before and he still kind of dominated, wow. 

Good times. Rhonda got smashed, McGregor is keeping things interesting, and Rockhold is just getting started. 

McGregor earlier this week:

"I felt when we stared down, I felt his right hand was twitching, which was a subtle tell for me. He's ready to unload that right hand and I feel that could be a downfall for him. If he lets that right hand go, I will not be there … "I will create traps and dead space inside that Octagon. I will walk him into that dead space. All of a sudden he will be in danger."
So it was said, so it was done. Aldo threw a big right. McGregor slipped it easily, the punch grazing his shoulder. He then dropped the mighty left to an exposed chin. Aldo was knocked senseless in mid-punch, falling to the mat. McGregor landed two exclamatory hammer fists and the fight was stopped. That was that. There's calling your shot, and there is this. "I did say that the right hand would be his downfall," McGregor said. "What I say happens, happens. … I just felt he would load up. I would give him that shot, give him that pressure. He loaded, I pulled … you fall into a shot like that, you go to sleep."

He not only called a first-round KO in advance, but he described exactly how it would go down. And then it was over, in 12 brutal seconds.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #910 of 1,080
^ Yeah, and his Dad didn't help afterward by grabbing the mic and saying, "this is still my boy". I'm sure he had good intentions for saying it, but... it came off as, I'm not going to disown my kid for losing the fight. LOL

Quote:

McGregor earlier this week:

"I felt when we stared down, I felt his right hand was twitching, which was a subtle tell for me. He's ready to unload that right hand and I feel that could be a downfall for him. If he lets that right hand go, I will not be there … "I will create traps and dead space inside that Octagon. I will walk him into that dead space. All of a sudden he will be in danger."
So it was said, so it was done. Aldo threw a big right. McGregor slipped it easily, the punch grazing his shoulder. He then dropped the mighty left to an exposed chin. Aldo was knocked senseless in mid-punch, falling to the mat. McGregor landed two exclamatory hammer fists and the fight was stopped. That was that. There's calling your shot, and there is this. "I did say that the right hand would be his downfall," McGregor said. "What I say happens, happens. … I just felt he would load up. I would give him that shot, give him that pressure. He loaded, I pulled … you fall into a shot like that, you go to sleep."

He not only called a first-round KO in advance, but he described exactly how it would go down. And then it was over, in 12 brutal seconds.

It really is amazing. 

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #913 of 1,080
Meh...I cant see Frankie doin much with McGregor honestly. I really think McGregor would blow right through him as well. There may be a bit more wrestling going on before the KO but....lol...just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back