The MMA thread (Affliction, UFC, DREAM, Strikeforce, etc.)
Jul 7, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #841 of 1,080
I'm sure the video left out some bits but he's putting major trash talkers down in the first round without breaking a sweat.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #842 of 1,080
As long as we're talking about Conor (what else?), I will mention this:
UFC president Dana White was a guest on Tuesday’s edition of the Jim Rome show promoting the July 11 card. The conversation quickly turned to McGregor, and that’s when White dropped this bombshell: "You want to know how confident this kid is?" White said. "I can't even believe I'm going to say this, but, he told Lorenzo and I the other day, ‘I'll bet you $3 million dollars I knock [Chad Mendes] out in the second round.'" There is confidence, and there is three million dollars worth of confidence.

Also I think his grappling may surprise us:
“Conor probably didn’t work as hard on the grappling side of the game at the start because he’s such a good striker, but I’ve yet to see anybody give him trouble on the ground. And that’s the only way you can rate a person,” said McGeeney. “You could understand if someone said he was down a few times, but I’ve yet to see that. Even if you get him down, it’s a split second before he’s up. He’s got really good movement which he’s worked hard on. He’s an awesome fighter and an awesome trainer.”

And finally this:
According to former UFC middleweight contender Chael Sonnen, who appeared on an episode of the Jim Rome Show to discuss UFC 189, he recently saw McGregor and was blown away by his size. Sonnen, being the former fighter he is, immediately had to ask McGregor about his weight with a title fight just over a week away, “I was like, ‘Conor, what do you weigh?’ he said, ‘about 172 pounds.’ “He’s got to be 145 in eight days.”

That's 27 pounds he has to drop, four pounds a day!

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #843 of 1,080
Yeah, I read about the 27 pounds he has to lose. That pretty rough. It will definitely take a toll on him as well. 

Jul 8, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #844 of 1,080
If he even makes weight..that's definitely going to cut into his endurance..

Jul 8, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #845 of 1,080
Assuming he needs endurance…

27 pounds is a lot when you weigh so little. Me, being 155 on a heavy day, can't imagine that huge difference. I'd look completely different.

Jul 10, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #847 of 1,080
Back up to 160 by the time they ring the bell
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #848 of 1,080
From the wiki page it gets more confusing re Aldo; one thing that seems clear is that White's punishing him (emphasis mine):

UFC president Dana White said the reason for the interim title, in this case, had to do with Aldo's history of pulling out of title fights, despite having defended it only 9 months earlier at UFC 179. The bout will remain the event headliner. On July 1, photographs of Aldo's scans were released and indicated that he had indeed suffered a fractured rib. On July 10, White claimed that Aldo did not have a broken rib as "every x-ray he sent out was of an old injury". He reaffirmed that Aldo had a "bruised rib and cartilage" and that the biggest problem was the weight cut.

edit; Holy moly I didn't realize till just now that McGregor has an 8" reach advantage over Mendes.

Tko by Conor or submission by Chad, I don't know who's gonna win but that's my call.
popcorn.gif

edit2; Tko by Conor, but almost a submission by Chad! Great overall card
smile.gif

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #849 of 1,080
Rory and Robbie got ugly. See their picture from the hospital? Can't believe after Rory's head kick he didn't attack even more. I was like, c'mon dude! Kick again, get in there and pound on him! Literally yelling at the screen.

Conor looked good overall. Couple moments but that was expected given Chad's #1 rank.

Matt Brown looked good, too.

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #850 of 1,080
Yeah, I was surprised that Rory kind of fought sloppy in parts of the fight. The same parts that got his face all smashed up. That's not like him. He's usually very precise and technical. His head movement stopped, and I felt like even I could have landed some face strikes on him he was so bad. Its too bad. I wanted him to win and still think he's the better fighter. I'm not sure why he lost focus so many times throughout. 

Conor has more to prove. Chad pounded on him and had control of the fight until he started to tire (training camp would have eliminated this issue). Conor had a full training camp, Chad had no time to prepare. I just wish Aldo wasn't running scarred. I lost all respect for him. Aldo or even Chad with a full training camp would be a real test. That said, Conor has proven he can take on the top tier and win. Given his reaction after the fight, I think he was even surprised. 

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #851 of 1,080
I was thinking that Conor is just an overly emotional guy. Hence all the talking before and during the fight and the crying afterwards. It's probably been a pretty crazy ride and sometimes emotions get carried away. If Chad won that would have been something else.

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #852 of 1,080
Mendes was clearly quicker than McGregor, but couldn't match Conor's power and reach.
Yeah the Lawler card got ugly, had to turn away for a bit.
There was a couple of impressive flying knees in the undercards.

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #853 of 1,080
So many Conor haters around MMA forums, yet he's walking to the bank with a huuuge leprechaun grin all over his face. LOL

Great fight, Conor, enjoy all that cash - you deserve it.

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #854 of 1,080
^ yep, I'm a fan and glad he won. 

Overall, one of the best cards in a long time. 

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #855 of 1,080
Robbie's best bet was to turn this fight into a brawl and that's what he did. Took Rory off his game, Rorys nose looked terrible. I think Rory gassed a little after the 3rd too. Robbie's straight left and left hook did a lot of damage.

Chad Mendes had s good game plan going in, but clearly not having a full camp hurt him. He was gassed by the end of the first which I attribute to not having a full camp, but mostly because of Connor's excellent body kicks. If you've ever eaten some body kicks you know it will really take the wind out of you, and that effect has nothing to do with cardio. It's a good strategy to use against a wrestler-take out their endurance.

I'm not a Connor fan by any means, but he's got a hell of a chin, and Mendes has pretty good knock out power and he tagged Connor and Conner wasn't phased at all he just kept talking. I think Connors good for the promotion of the sport last time I remember seeing anything about MMA on Conan was Rousey. Connor's reaction didn't surprise me a whole lot. He reminds me on Chael Sonnen, he probably doesn't mean half the **** he says he's just trying to hype up the fight and self promote.

I think this era of great champs is over (Anderson, Jones, GSP, Cain, Pettis, Cruz), and Aldo definitely hasn't looked as good as in the past. He's on the downside of his career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back