The Mi Headphones by Xiaomi (Lively Discussions starting Page 7)
Apr 10, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #91 of 139
so far, the phones reflects V-shape sounds, with the lows having the higher slope.

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #92 of 139
Below are some shots on my recent purchase of the Mi Headphone during their Anniversary Celebration Sale. Package arrived in a rather simple brown box. However, the internal box is well secured with air-filled bubbles. I'm using a first generation Audio-dg Compass as my source. Like any new headphone, the initial hearing is 'yuck'. Will let it burn-in and hear the final sound.

Arrived in a simple brown box.

The usual Mi white box inside.

Info on the headphone printed on the box.

Within the box, there are three smaller packages consisting of the extra earpads and
a small pouch.

The Mi headphone is in this hard shell with the necessary cables.

The Audio-gd Compass and the Mi Headphone.

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #94 of 139
  They have stock at the Singapore site, really tempting but I really fear that it will sound like the pistons. Too 'V' shape sound for me and the piston's highs can kill me.

agreed. That's why I'm still waiting for more reviews before buying one. 'V' shape sound is just not so for music. I heard that their customer service centre can offer for you to listen in singapore though.

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #95 of 139
They're so so, nothing fantastic but sound like I expected them to. Given the company's target market these were always going to cater to what appeals to the masses. Bloated bass, the mid range noticeably pushed back and a bit "muddy" if that's the right term, but decent staging. Doesn't really get much better when amped (running off the Oppo HA-1 right now). I'm not too disappointed though, I bought them to use with my laptop to watch the occasional movie or TV show ...nothing more. Snapped the over ear cushions after opening them up, so never tried the on ear pads. In short,

1. Decent for the price SGD119 (around 88 USD). But there's better out there in the same range, albeit with different sound signatures. 
  2. They look nice from afar, but I'd have to wait and see how well they hold up, there's a lot of plastic on there. The finish on the cups isn't great and the mesh feels like poor quality chicken wire, nowhere near Grado's quality some of which retail around the same price.
  3. They are comfortable though, sit nicely on the head, don't clamp down too hard and are light. 
  4. The option of 3 types of pads is nice, the case is great and the other accessories are nice touch as well. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #97 of 139
Apr 13, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #98 of 139
  agreed. That's why I'm still waiting for more reviews before buying one. 'V' shape sound is just not so for music. I heard that their customer service centre can offer for you to listen in singapore though.

Any idea where we can try it in Singapore?

They're so so, nothing fantastic but sound like I expected them to. Given the company's target market these were always going to cater to what appeals to the masses. Bloated bass, the mid range noticeably pushed back and a bit "muddy" if that's the right term, but decent staging. Doesn't really get much better when amped (running off the Oppo HA-1 right now). I'm not too disappointed though, I bought them to use with my laptop to watch the occasional movie or TV show ...nothing more. Snapped the over ear cushions after opening them up, so never tried the on ear pads. In short,

1. Decent for the price SGD119 (around 88 USD). But there's better out there in the same range, albeit with different sound signatures. 
  2. They look nice from afar, but I'd have to wait and see how well they hold up, there's a lot of plastic on there. The finish on the cups isn't great and the mesh feels like poor quality chicken wire, nowhere near Grado's quality some of which retail around the same price.
  3. They are comfortable though, sit nicely on the head, don't clamp down too hard and are light. 
  4. The option of 3 types of pads is nice, the case is great and the other accessories are nice touch as well. 

agreed, guess we're putting too high hope on this. Burnt-in for 2days since last friday, improves very slightly but still not on-par with good headphones.

Thanks for the impressions!

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #100 of 139
  agreed, guess we're putting too high hope on this. Burnt-in for 2days since last friday, improves very slightly but still not on-par with good headphones.

After testing it for a day and half, I don't really see any improvement. Will let it burn-in for a couple of days more too see any improvement.
Overall, the quality and workmanship is very good. The only thing Xiaomi needs to improve is the provision of a longer audio cable. The cable from
mu Vmoda is much longer.

Apr 16, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #103 of 139
Hi all,

I bought one and burnt in about 6 hours. Will try and see how it goes. In the meantime, I found 2 other reviews :

https://kthxbuy.wordpress.com/2015/04/11/mi-headphones-review-quick/

http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-review/xiaomi-mi-headphones/

My brief experience in ownership:

Currently have a UE TF-10 custom and an unopened mi in ear pistons 2.1. 

Used to own klipsch x10 in ear (lost it damnit), closed headphones ATH-ES10(heart breakingly sold, loved it), ESW9(sold, didn't like it), ES7 (sold for ESW9), open headphones AKG 412P(cable got damaged).

Heard the ESW10Jpn once...it was heavenly, wish I could afford it. ESW11 is mind-blowingly expensive too. Halp.

Edit:
I have no idea how to properly describe my experiences but I will do my best.
Tested in the comfort of my home and on the go, tried the on ear soft cushions. The over ear cushions and on ear foams sounded terrible to me and I wouldn't touch them with a 10m pole.

At home tested on cowon m2 -
Tried a variety of rock, pop and classical

On Pop
- There was definitely something wrong with high frequencies of treble in 1 of my pop songs. I compared against my customs UE-TF10 which sounded normal and on the mi headphones that particular sound sounded distorted, shrill and painful despite attempts to adjust the EQ.
- Some of the pop songs sound good out of the box without need for EQ adjustment.
- Some of the vocals sounded like they got drowned by the instruments lol.
- I do not know how to describe it but perhaps due to the open design, some parts of the music which sounded like they 'flow' on the UE-TF10 customs felt flat and just in your face. It was listenable but not as enjoyable as TF-10 customs.
- Got fed up and plugged into my note 4 to stop playing with the EQ and surprise...it actually sounded slightly better without the need for EQ. Lazy listeners can plug to note 4 and just listen to it without much for complaint.
- On the go, I still heard the bass which is remarkable I guess considering it is a open design where I can avoid getting hit by a speeding horning car as compared to where I will become road kill if I listen to UE-TF10 customs while crossing the road.

On Rock
- The vocals got lost in the background, had to EQ them up.
- There is punch there is strength.
- No complaints

On classical
- In terms of positioning, it sounded even more precise than my UE-TF10, I could tell the recording mic was placed on the right side of the orchestra and hear the creaking of the chair as some fat cello player shifted in his chair (I could on UE-TF10 too but not as obvious), UE-TF10 not as obvious that mic on the right.
- Need to listen

On comfort
- My ears kinda ring after listening to it for 30 minutes but definitely not as warm as the wth-strong-clamping-force ES7 or make-me-sweat ESW9/ES10.

This is just after a night of home audition and 30 minutes on the go impressions, I will update as I go along. Currently, I would say this is not the kind of sound signature I am familiar with and does not go well with me most of the time except for the few moments when my Japanese pop actually sounded good. I guess I may eventually dump it for a ATH-ES700 and slowly return to the act of upgrading step-wise till I return to in-ears.

P.S. the case is designed to fit the headphones and a set of cushions as well. Nice thought but really, the case is too thick just to allow the addition of cushions on the go...

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #104 of 139
Hey Guys

Was really hyped to see how these would perform. After reading a few reviews... im confused.

I've read the Mids are congested, Bass is boomy and the highs arent all that great ... Some people also said the soundstage is tiny. I've also read contradictory stuff like the Bass is detailed and the Soundstage is accurate. Overall, im not sure what to think of it...

Can someone who owns them tell me how it would compare to say the Momentum On Ears? I'd really appreciate it! Thx :)

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #105 of 139
Hi all,

I bought one and burnt in about 6 hours. Will try and see how it goes. In the meantime, I found 2 other reviews :

https://kthxbuy.wordpress.com/2015/04/11/mi-headphones-review-quick/

http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-review/xiaomi-mi-headphones/

My brief experience in ownership:

Currently have a UE TF-10 custom and an unopened mi in ear pistons 2.1. 

Used to own klipsch x10 in ear (lost it damnit), closed headphones ATH-ES10(heart breakingly sold, loved it), ESW9(sold, didn't like it), ES7 (sold for ESW9), open headphones AKG 412P(cable got damaged).

Heard the ESW10Jpn once...it was heavenly, wish I could afford it. ESW11 is mind-blowingly expensive too. Halp.

Edit:
I have no idea how to properly describe my experiences but I will do my best.
Tested in the comfort of my home and on the go, tried the on ear soft cushions. The over ear cushions and on ear foams sounded terrible to me and I wouldn't touch them with a 10m pole.

At home tested on cowon m2 -
Tried a variety of rock, pop and classical

On Pop
- There was definitely something wrong with high frequencies of treble in 1 of my pop songs. I compared against my customs UE-TF10 which sounded normal and on the mi headphones that particular sound sounded distorted, shrill and painful despite attempts to adjust the EQ.
- Some of the pop songs sound good out of the box without need for EQ adjustment.
- Some of the vocals sounded like they got drowned by the instruments lol.
- I do not know how to describe it but perhaps due to the open design, some parts of the music which sounded like they 'flow' on the UE-TF10 customs felt flat and just in your face. It was listenable but not as enjoyable as TF-10 customs.
- Got fed up and plugged into my note 4 to stop playing with the EQ and surprise...it actually sounded slightly better without the need for EQ. Lazy listeners can plug to note 4 and just listen to it without much for complaint.
- On the go, I still heard the bass which is remarkable I guess considering it is a open design where I can avoid getting hit by a speeding horning car as compared to where I will become road kill if I listen to UE-TF10 customs while crossing the road.

On Rock
- The vocals got lost in the background, had to EQ them up.
- There is punch there is strength.
- No complaints

On classical
- In terms of positioning, it sounded even more precise than my UE-TF10, I could tell the recording mic was placed on the right side of the orchestra and hear the creaking of the chair as some fat cello player shifted in his chair (I could on UE-TF10 too but not as obvious), UE-TF10 not as obvious that mic on the right.
- Need to listen

On comfort
- My ears kinda ring after listening to it for 30 minutes but definitely not as warm as the wth-strong-clamping-force ES7 or make-me-sweat ESW9/ES10.

This is just after a night of home audition and 30 minutes on the go impressions, I will update as I go along. Currently, I would say this is not the kind of sound signature I am familiar with and does not go well with me most of the time except for the few moments when my Japanese pop actually sounded good. I guess I may eventually dump it for a ATH-ES700 and slowly return to the act of upgrading step-wise till I return to in-ears.

P.S. the case is designed to fit the headphones and a set of cushions as well. Nice thought but really, the case is too thick just to allow the addition of cushions on the go...

Hi Lobaba. Thanks for your input. I will link your post in the first page.

Hey Guys

Was really hyped to see how these would perform. After reading a few reviews... im confused.

I've read the Mids are congested, Bass is boomy and the highs arent all that great ... Some people also said the soundstage is tiny. I've also read contradictory stuff like the Bass is detailed and the Soundstage is accurate. Overall, im not sure what to think of it...

Can someone who owns them tell me how it would compare to say the Momentum On Ears? I'd really appreciate it! Thx :)

Hi bva, I would suggest reading on credible reviewers. I am not being rude, but for the times of contrasts, we should rely on more experienced reviewers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back