The Mi Headphones by Xiaomi (Lively Discussions starting Page 7)
Dec 9, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #136 of 139
I just hope someone can compare them with Meizu HD50, Dolphin, and Takstar Pro80

I have a Pro 80, I can say that they are on par, maybe my ears found the pro80 on the brighter side compared to the MI, but it really depends on your dap, dac, amp and equilizer settings. The MI seems to be a little more musical and less clinical, as the name says it all, the Pro 80 is for professionals and not really portable

Dec 26, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #137 of 139
Beryllium Placebo Effect?

Hello All,

I wanted to share this article with everyone: www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=40060 because I've read a lot of reviews and impressions of the Mi Headphone and a lot of people were disappointed with what they got...  I am sure that there was a lot of hype before the release of this pair of cans because of the very successful piston 2, piston 3, and because these cans features beryllium diaphragms. I know that Xiaomi does not advertise these headphones as having Beryllium diaphragms on EN website but serious who doesn't know that they do?

*Please note that I do not own or tried the Mi Headphones, I simply wish to inform consumers and provoke thought. This is purely my own opinion derived from facts and research.

The article is basically saying that headphone diaphragms does not require to contain a certain percentage of beryllium (Be) to be marketed as 'beryllium diaphragm
headphones' or 'beryllium alloy headphones'. As some may know beryllium is a rare alkaline earth metal that have a very low density to velocity ratio which is ideal (perhaps the best one)
for diaphragm material.

How much does 100 grams of Be cost? About ~$800...pure of course. Then how is it possible that Xiaomi can manufacture headphones with 50mm Be diaphragms and sell them for less
than $80?

"There are also reports of ~90% titanium foil from Russia and/or China that contains less than 1% beryllium and other elements such as aluminum and magnesium at trace levels. The material has the color of beryllium but the density is approximately twice the density of beryllium foil." quoted from the article.

I am not by any means claiming that Xiaomi is using titanium foil that contains traces of Be, I am simply bring up the possibility that the percentage of Be used to make the diaphragm may be much, much less than you would think. I mean just look at the price and think. What did you expect to get? 

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #138 of 139
Beryllium Placebo Effect?

Hello All,

I wanted to share this article with everyone: www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=40060 
because I've read a lot of reviews and impressions of the Mi Headphone and a lot of people were disappointed with what they got...  I am sure that there was a lot of hype before the release of this pair of cans because of the very successful piston 2, piston 3, and because these cans features beryllium diaphragms. I know that Xiaomi does not advertise these headphones as having Beryllium diaphragms on EN website but serious who doesn't know that they do?

*Please note that I do not own or tried the Mi Headphones, I simply wish to inform consumers and provoke thought. This is purely my own opinion derived from facts and research.

The article is basically saying that headphone diaphragms does not require to contain a certain percentage of beryllium (Be) to be marketed as 'beryllium diaphragm

headphones' or 'beryllium alloy headphones'. As some may know beryllium is a rare alkaline earth metal that have a very low density to velocity ratio which is ideal (perhaps the best one)

for diaphragm material.

How much does 100 grams of Be cost? About ~$800...pure of course. Then how is it possible that Xiaomi can manufacture headphones with 50mm Be diaphragms and sell them for less

than $80?

"
There are also reports of ~90% titanium foil from Russia and/or China that contains less than 1% beryllium and other elements such as aluminum and magnesium at trace levels. The material has the color of beryllium but the density is approximately twice the density of beryllium foil." quoted from the article.

I am not by any means claiming that Xiaomi is using titanium foil that contains traces of Be, I am simply bring up the possibility that the percentage of Be used to make the diaphragm may be much, much less than you would think. I mean just look at the price and think. What did you expect to get? 

IMHO the Mi with the default pad sounds bassy and muffled like most beats headphones but once you switch to the foam pads, I can say Wow :astonished: it's pretty on par with a Sennheiser HD600. This is the proof that Beryllium diaphragm plays it's role , I agree that the 50mm isn't Beryllium at 100%, it seems that only a small portion in the centre is made from this premium material, however the Mi Headphones cost only $95 but sounds like a $400 pair

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #139 of 139
Hello dear community,

I've read they are semi-opened, that's more like my current V-Moda XS which leak sound quite a lot starting from 75% of volume range on my OneplusOne (just to get a clue). But I like them a lot even while commuting. Had Beoplay H2 before XS, and the sound signature was just right for me, but couldn't bare with enormously tight fit.

Also I have HD598 which I like very much at home (too much tbh).

How do these compete against Mi in terms of sound and comfort? Should I bother to buy them from China as I simply can't find a single store where I can listen to them so it's "all or nothing" for me.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back