The Member-Judged Fine Art Head-Fi Gallery
Jan 24, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #1,278 of 1,426

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #1,279 of 1,426
With all the new DAPs coming out using large touchscreen interfaces they've made my life incredibly hard taking photos of them in my light box, especialluy considering I use a bounce flash. Without buying any special filters or technics the natural result is a massive relfection and flash bouncing off the screen.

What it looks like unedited is this.

So I clean the touchscreen glass up with an edit and get it looking good as I can.

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #1,280 of 1,426
  With all the new DAPs coming out using large touchscreen interfaces they've made my life incredibly hard taking photos of them in my light box, especialluy considering I use a bounce flash. Without buying any special filters or technics the natural result is a massive relfection and flash bouncing off the screen.

You could try hanging dark coloured paper from the roof of the box to get the reflection you want.
I guess there's no harm in using safety pins or something ... I've never tried this in my light box, so I'll let you test it out first 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #1,281 of 1,426
  You could try hanging dark coloured paper from the roof of the box to get the reflection you want.
I guess there's no harm in using safety pins or something ... I've never tried this in my light box, so I'll let you test it out first 
evil_smiley.gif

I have black sheets of paper for doing black backdrops, I've held one above but it just messes up the lighting because I bounce the flash off the tent roof. 
mad.gif

I'd love some others opinions on ways to capture it without the need for editing.

Damn glass screens, drive me nuts. I'd just leave it natural if possible but it really gives a gross look. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #1,283 of 1,426
Your best option is probably to just get a polarizing filter...or rip one out of a pair of imax3D glasses.

Yep I've looked into them, just a cheap ass lol. My camera is a Canon G16 though so I'd need a special filter adapter kit for it. I'll look into it further.

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #1,285 of 1,426

Yep I've looked into them, just a cheap ass lol. My camera is a Canon G16 though so I'd need a special filter adapter kit for it. I'll look into it further.

Just do a ghetto jig with some blue tack holding the filter on the end of the lens. :D

Or butcher a Cokin filter to exactly the right size 
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #1,286 of 1,426
I have black sheets of paper for doing black backdrops, I've held one above but it just messes up the lighting because I bounce the flash off the tent roof. :mad:

I'd love some others opinions on ways to capture it without the need for editing.

Damn glass screens, drive me nuts. I'd just leave it natural if possible but it really gives a gross look. 

What about placing a black sheet of "something"...paper, etc, on the top of the light box. Just big enough to cover the reflected (edit) *image? I know you would have to adjust the incoming light as a result...I might try this with some photos I have to shoot...:grimacing:

I will admit, that the "streaks" of curtain give a certain sense of direction to the unedited photo.

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #1,287 of 1,426
AK70-1.jpg

You could:

A) Build a set that allows you to control the lightning situation more precisely. White light boxes are popular, but not exactly great because they produce way to much flare light you can't control. A cheap flash or lamp in combination with a cheap softbox are way better imo. Just place the objects on a mirror and set up the lightning as you like.

B) Use a tripod. Make two pictures at the same position. One with the flash turned on, the other one with the flash turned off. Use the second picture only for the display while merging the pictures together. It's simple.

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #1,288 of 1,426
Thanks for the replies guys.

The idea above (option B) is a rather clever one. I might consider trying that first as it sounds pretty easy.

I'll have a go soon, if it works out well I'll post the results. If not I'll look into the polarizing filter I think.

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #1,289 of 1,426
Option A is the photographers choice, where you reserve one corner of a large room in your house with big black panels and a few lights permanently set up, just in case. 
Or in my case soon, cellar or attic... havn't decided yet. 
But once that happens, I'll definitely start posting more again here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back