The Melos Modification Thread
Jul 22, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #256 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by sedan delivery /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spoke with the gentleman in Atlanta today regarding Melos mods/upgrades/repairs,I'm taking my unit in on Saturday,I'll report back if anyone is interested.

absolutely, please report back with any and all info (including full contact info).

Jul 27, 2007 at 10:16 AM Post #259 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by sedan delivery /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a business in Atlanta,,, Modular Audio IIRC,,anyway,e-mailed the guy,,he said that he does repairs and mods/upgrades ,hopefully I'll be speaking to him today. Edit; His number is 770-642-6259,his name is Benny,and he'll be back on thursday 7-19-07.

I was unable to drop my Melos off Sat,so I'm going up to meet him tomorrow,Benny seems fairly knowledgable, I'll post tomorrow regarding my visit and hopefully upcoming/potential mods. Right now,I'm just interested in the headphone mods,but I 'll get as much information as possible,wish me luck,,as I go deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole.

Sep 15, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #261 of 279
1160947967.jpg

This pre-amp was mine that was custom rebuilt by Will at MAR. Here were the upgrades that were done:

1) Volume control was upgrade to use a 6922 tube instead of the defective design that Melos used.

2) The MOS-FETS for the pre-amp were removed to provide a "full tube" stage (just like the it's big brother MA-333 but with out the dual mono design).

3) The large resister to the right (as you look from the back) was for the system to have a standby mode that lowered the voltage going to all the tubes to prevent off/on if wanted.

4) The standard MAR upgrade with Solen caps (yuck).

5) Rebuilt voltage regulator.

6) Then the tube was added to the volume board, the volume & balance knobs were converted into left/right channel controls.

7) There were other upgrades to help the sound, but I have forgotten what they were.

8) The second set of RCA out jacks were wired to a line out.

I believe that I still have all the docs of the upgrades but I might be missing some and I have somewhere the emails from MAR/Will about the upgrades if anyone would like them.

Enjoy...

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #264 of 279
I was without my melos's for quite some time because of a transistor failure in one, and a transformer failure in the other.

I FINALLY swapped the transformer from the SHA-1 (with a blown transistor) and all of my boutique parts into my SHA-Gold Eargasmatron (which blew the power transformer when I accidentally shorted B+ to ground...)

Yea, I have been missing this sound.

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #267 of 279
I was looking for an attenuator for an upcoming project which logically brought me to the goldpoint website. They make great gear but I wanted to check up on their tech-articles

Most interesting to me was the "modified attenuator tapers" page which shows how to decrease the range of the stepper a few DB.

At the moment I have a cheap Chinese 50K stepper in my melos: 50 K before it, and 50 across it did the job of dumping a few DB quite well. The amp now has a 75K ohm input impedance, which is certainly a weird number, but good for my phono-stage.

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #268 of 279
Well it appears that my source selector is totally shot. In order to get both channels working I have to jiggle and shake the switch. It's starting to get really annoying and detracting from the overall feel of the amp.

What are my options for replacing it?

BTW, you want to know something extremely strange? I am still on the same pair of Amperex tubes that Jahn had before he sold this amp to me - and it's been on about 6-8 hours a day every day for the last couple of years (and often 24/7).

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #269 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it appears that my source selector is totally shot. In order to get both channels working I have to jiggle and shake the switch. It's starting to get really annoying and detracting from the overall feel of the amp.

What are my options for replacing it?

Sorry to hear of your luck.

Radio-shack sells a 2-pole/6-position switch that will work on the cheap, and you can go up from there. Pretty much anything will work as long as it fits in the case and has enough positions.

You could also bypass it or get a switch with fewer positions if you dont need all of the inputs.

May 24, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #270 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sedan, do you know what kind of mods they do ?!

Been a while,, but Benny does in fact perform the Melos mods,and repairs,,as I confirmed this with him today,, as I just picked up a pair of tube amps that he repaired

Highly Recommended
L3000.gif
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

Amina-main

Users who are viewing this thread

Back