The Melos Modification Thread
Oct 23, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #196 of 279
SWEET.
black-gate caps moved from before the regulators to after, where they feed the mosfets.

hehe. sounds good from this distance.
i suppose i should listen to it with the drivers 2" from my ears (k1000) just to make tripple sure that it still works properly...

Oct 26, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #197 of 279
yepp, still rocking hard.

you ever get the feeling that its too good? i suppose that the nyc meet will level the playing field.

"men who think highly of themselvs only live in a small world."

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #198 of 279
anyone out there in tv land know what mosfets MAR used when making the sha gold a "reference" amp?

the mosfets on my board do not pass a test of "physical similarity" to the HV mosfets used in the psu filter thingy (as they should according to schematics.) the 2 mosfets look totally different.

Oct 31, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #199 of 279
so, i have a BAD hum issue.

i got the amp running SILENTLY, and i mean stax srm 717 quiet silently.

being an idiot, i did not put the cover on it and wait for the meet to show off my toys. i adjusted.

i swapped the first HV cap for a bigger one, and moved some caps on the LV side.

now it hums like nobodys buisness.

any ideas?

Oct 31, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #200 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
so, i have a BAD hum issue.

i got the amp running SILENTLY, and i mean stax srm 717 quiet silently.

being an idiot, i did not put the cover on it and wait for the meet to show off my toys. i adjusted.

i swapped the first HV cap for a bigger one, and moved some caps on the LV side.

now it hums like nobodys buisness.

any ideas?

Why not undo what you did one step at a time to see when you lose the hum.

Oct 31, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #202 of 279
how bad is your humming, I have the same problem. I can barely, barely hear it with my RS-1's though and it is a non issue with them. I have to use the Super.fi's to troubleshoot because they are more sensitive.

Oct 31, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #203 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3
how bad is your humming, I have the same problem. I can barely, barely hear it with my RS-1's though and it is a non issue with them. I have to use the Super.fi's to troubleshoot because they are more sensitive.

very very bad.
louder than the music.

Oct 31, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #204 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
very very bad.
louder than the music.

Damn, that sucks. Perhaps we'll find something at the meet.

On a side note, I just got the Beyer 770's I won...they sound friggin amazing with the Melos. I really think I've discovered a synergy that not many have heard.

Oct 31, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #205 of 279
so as an update:
the hum is volume knob dependent, both as far as channel, and volume is concerned.

at low (zero knob) the hum is almost all in the left channel. at medium it is going towards the right and at high it is all over the right channel.

this is very weird.

also, when i shut down the amp makes a "farty" noise in "phase" with the hum, but much louder for about a second or so. ARGH.

Oct 31, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #206 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3
Damn, that sucks. Perhaps we'll find something at the meet.

On a side note, I just got the Beyer 770's I won...they sound friggin amazing with the Melos. I really think I've discovered a synergy that not many have heard.

Absolutely. My darth beyers with the Melos was amazing, glad you found them to be as well!

btw folks, after you are done your Melos Pre-amp work, don't you think they deserve to be amped with some Melos Power amps? But not any old power amp...

[size=xx-large] MELOS MONOBLOCKS. [/size]
1161909731.jpg

Nov 3, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #208 of 279
Nov 3, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #209 of 279
from your link
wink.gif

Quote:

Conservative 7 rating for age only, these classic amps have "aire" plus power. Often paired with Von Schweikert speakers for great sound. Nowadays shunned because Melos repair of Las Vegas is no longer...Modular Electronics in Atlanta works on and improves Melos gear. Owner, Benny, has these running quiet and hastle-free for over a year now. 8,4,2 ohm taps on these huge and heavy monoblocks. If you've ever wanted a $9000 superamp...for $2250 ....
They work great. I'm a sick puppy for wanting anything more.
Truman/Atlanta. Add 3% for Paypal.

Could be huge now that MAR is gone.

Nov 3, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #210 of 279
i am so amazing, i even amaze myself.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back