The Mars Volta vs Pink Floyd
Aug 13, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #31 of 49
I love TMV, but Pink Floyd are one of my top three favorites of all time.

Aug 13, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #32 of 49
The Mars Volta are the modern Pink Floyd. They're doing things with music that no other band could even grow the balls to attempt.

I don't feel like I can vote in this poll.

Aug 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Mars Volta are the modern Pink Floyd.

Except Floyd were doing mellow music with a strong melodic foundation and good composition skills, while The Mars Volta are doing mostly fast-paced music with screaming and noises arranged in a cacophonic way. I don't really see the comparison.
confused.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only contemporary band who can stand against PF are The Porcupine Tree, they are similar somehow in the atmosphere created, I really enjoy some of their albums as it were PFs

x2, Porcupine Tree is one of the best band on the planet right-now.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except Floyd were doing mellow music with a strong melodic foundation and good composition skills, while The Mars Volta are doing mostly fast-paced music with screaming and noises arranged in a cacophonic way. I don't really see the comparison.
confused.gif

Closing in on 90% PF.

NEXT!

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by sailboat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be really honest, De-loused in the Comatorium was their only album that I enjoyed. The rest are just kind of, mediocre. And yeah, absolutely no comparison between them and Pink Floyd.
smily_headphones1.gif

+1. I enjoyed De-loused but disliked Frances with all those silly noises. Haven't made any opinion about those newer albums though. I'd still say that classic Pink Floyd era is superior, yet The Mars volta still have time to prove themselves worthy.

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #37 of 49
I love when head-fi'ers bash a band for poor sound. Some of my favorite music (and most intense experiences at shows) is definitely 'lo-fi' or poorly recorded and probably would be unlistenable to many here. Their loss.

As for the poll, two different bands altogether. TMV has had a bigger impact on me than Floyd, but the latter is in-arguably more accessible and popular with most people.

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #38 of 49
Why can't people provide proper arguments when someone is comparing bands like this? The only proper argument why they shouldn't be compared was given by kwitel I think saying that these bands don't exactly share the same genre. Otherwise there is a load of crap coming from a lot of people saying that TMV doesn't have proper mastering (but really which band does these days?) and that because of that you shouldn't listen to it at all. If you want to hear worthless recording listen to Johnny Cash records or Robert Johnson for all I care. Shouldn't I listen to music when the recording isn't pristine or if the sound quality is sub-par? That has nothing to do with the music whatsoever. If bob dylan is playing at my alarmclock/radio when I wake up I enjoy it. If you can't you should really consider whether you enjoy music or just gear.

That said, comparing PF to TMV would be similar to comparing TMV to The Human Abstract in my opinion. Comparing any of those on Head-Fi is not recommended because people will always vote for the band which has been more influential.

Aug 14, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

To compare two bands, you don't have to necessarily compare their music structure. Instead you can compare the impact that they've had on music, and the new directions that they're trying to venture into. I see both Pink Floyd and The Mars Volta as two truly innovative progressive rock bands.

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #40 of 49
This thread poll is a joke, right?

Aug 14, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread poll is a joke, right?

Sigh. Em, no it is not a joke. It is a poll asking which band you like better. Is that a problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back