The Mars Volta vs Pink Floyd
Aug 9, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #16 of 49
To be really honest, De-loused in the Comatorium was their only album that I enjoyed. The rest are just kind of, mediocre. And yeah, absolutely no comparison between them and Pink Floyd.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #19 of 49
The only contemporary band who can stand against PF are The Porcupine Tree, they are similar somehow in the atmosphere created, I really enjoy some of their albums as it were PFs,

or maybe I am too good with Porcupine?

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only contemporary band who can stand against PF are The Porcupine Tree, they are similar somehow in the atmosphere created, I really enjoy some of their albums as it were PFs,

or maybe I am too good with Porcupine?

I think if Pink Floyd were to be compared to anyone more current and in a similar genre, it would have to be Radiohead...............but obviously they are different and both very great.

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by uriz3n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But you cannot see Pink Floyd playing live in a small venue for $35 nowadays.

You can go see The Australian Pink Floyd Show in small venues for about that much. They sound just like the real Pink Floyd.

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think if Pink Floyd were to be compared to anyone more current and in a similar genre, it would have to be Radiohead...............but obviously they are different and both very great.

I think Radiohead are too original to be compared to anyone,
in the uniqueness concept of their music, they are even better than PF.

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #23 of 49
? Who is Mars Volta ?

Floyd was just as innovative as any other band of their time. More so in that they invented many of their special effects and offered a new way of presenting music in a full album concept instead of a couple "A" songs and filler. The Beatles would be the only group I'd consider a peer to Pink Floyd and to a lesser extent, The Beach Boys.

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #24 of 49
Funny poll! Pink Floyd, of course.

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #25 of 49
As a torture instrument? The Mars Volta hands down. It's already been mentionned, but their mastering and overall production is painful. I could probably get over it if their songs were actually interesting and featured good melodies, but to me it just sounds like a bunch of noise.

Pink Floyd, on the other hand, have made unquestionable contributions to the rock genre and most of their albums are excellent in terms of music and production. The comparison between these two bands is apples and oranges though, they hardly make the same kind of music.

Aug 9, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #26 of 49
I voted for The Mars Volta just because I like their music. I like them both equally, but ever since I went out and bought a nice(er) pair of headphones, I can't stand to listen to The Mars Volta. At least all my Pink Floyd CD's sound amazing!
dt880smile.png

Aug 9, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #27 of 49
I saw the Mars Volta play live at Voodoo Fest last year. The show started off electrifying, my friends and I were all pumped up. After about three songs, we were weary of it. Its like non-stop cake icing. Sweet stuff, but I can't eat it for two hours straight.

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #30 of 49
If you pair up the first five floyd and mars volta LPs, I think mars volta clearly wins. beyond that I can't really say, but I think they have shown they are a more evolved group, their albums are denser and have a wide range of influences in their sound, including punk and ethnic music.... IMO they have had three great LPs (deloused, frances, bedlam) in only five years of existence, and a couple decent ones. but I do have a feeling Volta's best work might be behind them, while floyd kept getting better at that stage. I was disapointed with octahedron, I am all for bands shifting it up but octahedron felt like a throwaway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back