THE Mars Volta appreciation Thread
Nov 12, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #31 of 38
Amputecture is a great jam album, it seems that they lost some of their focus ever since leaving ross robinson as their producer, but I applaud their willingness to branch out their sound and expeirment. I loved deloused the most becuase it was structured and had a coherant driving immediacy that I've not heard before. Bottom line is that TMV gets me really pumped, and seems that it's not the band that I can listen to in autopilot mode. Seeing them live was also insane as they had about 10 people on stage performing at the peak of their talent. AMAZING!!!!!!!!

Nov 12, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #32 of 38
check out "jagga jazzist", it's their biggest influence and it's clear when you listen to any of their work.

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by goorackerelite
check out "jagga jazzist", it's their biggest influence and it's clear when you listen to any of their work.

I'll have to check this out.

TMV is an amazing contemporary prog band. I actually find it a little odd that Deloused seems to be their most loved album though. Much as it's certainly their most accessible, Frances the Mute and (especially) Amputechture are far and away their biggest triumphs, IMO. So much more depth in the music. I do have a soft spot for Deloused. It's probably the album I listen to most simply because it doesn't command your attention as much as their later work.

I'm curious, as it hasn't come up yet - what are people's thoughts on their debut EP "Tremulant". It's an excellent little 17 minute introduction to what they would eventually become.

Curiously, I never like At The Drive-in. And I find the lyrics of TMV to be so unbelievably pretentious and "emo" it makes me sick. Thankfully, I seem to have a mental block, where words don't make sense to me when set to music, so I can just focus on each of these virtuosos and that fantastic (and understandably grating to some people) voice.

Nov 12, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by goorackerelite

Yes! Jaga Jazzist is great music. As well as Cinematic Orchestra... They are defaintly worth checking out.

I heard the mars volta one day when driving with a friend... there was no talking only listening tot he music till finally the album (de loused) stopped... that day I bought the album...two days later Frances the mute came out.... it was refreshing to hear real music...

The mars volta really opened up a whole new world to me... musicially. Proved to me good music was still being made. So I went out on a search to find REAL music... ended up discovering tons of diffferent artist and different genres.

Really great band.

Nov 13, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volta
What does everyone think of the new album, Amputechture?

Been listening to TMV for about a year and a half, and I seem to go through the EXACT SAME initial reaction to every on of their releases: What is this $h*t!?
TMV really challenges the listener, especially if you are a newbie with prog-rock and oddly timed music/signatures (which I was a couple of years back). However, patience and dilligence regarding listening to their material always seems to pay off, and big.
"De-Loused" is probably their most accessible release due to its relatively minimal noodling.
"France the Mute" is IMO is just pure concept genius; so layered and colorful-it took me a good 5 listens for it to click.
As for "Amputechture"-i'll admit my expectations were astronomical, so naturally i was initially dissapointed. The tracks at first listen seem to be strewn together with such disregard for fluidity that I swear I thought my IPOD was on shuffle.
Really did not like the album well into my 5th listen and then just gave up on it-felt like too much work.
Decided to give it another shot about a month ago, after a little break.
Well, whadaya know?
I now adore the album.
Incredibly rewarding, complex, melodic music that seems to periodically satiate me musically in a way that nearly no other music can. That whole Jazz/Prog/Latino fusion thing is just so bad-ass...
I stress the word periodically though; I have to be in a specific mood to listen to them.
When I am in the mood however, its outright killer music.

Jun 30, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Holybanana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just thought I'd bump this one.

Anyone is into them lately?

I'll throw down
biggrin.gif

Cant ever say enough about TMV.
So ahead of their time yet so retro (thats a bit of a paradox).
Looking forward to their new stuff-anyone have an idea when that will be?

Jun 30, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll throw down
biggrin.gif

Cant ever say enough about TMV.
So ahead of their time yet so retro (thats a bit of a paradox).
Looking forward to their new stuff-anyone have an idea when that will be?

Well, Rapid Fire Tollbooth is pretty interesting imo
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back