THE Mars Volta appreciation Thread
Nov 5, 2005 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

enjoi_rootbeer

500+ Head-Fier
there's been alot of post on them. so why not an appreciation thread? how'd you get into them? your experiences. everything you ever wanted to know about the mars volta. share!

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 38
<-- Appreciates The Mars Volta

My brother got me into them, but I hated them at first. Now, I like them. I guess you could say I even appreciate them!

Nov 5, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 38
Me too!
a friend of mine has mentioned their name a few months ago. got some stuff, listened to it once/twice. But now all these threads about the marsvolta made me listen to it again and I think it's great.

Nov 5, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 38
I picked up Deloused on a whim a while ago. Great decision! Excellent album.

France the Mute is good, but not as great as Deloused.

Nov 5, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
France the Mute is good, but not as great as Deloused.

yeah i agree. but it's going to be hard to try and top an album like deloused in the comatorium. anyone here part of the comatorium.com ?

Nov 7, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 38
I found out about them about 2 days ago (saturday) and got a copy of one of their albums um...De-Loused In The Comatorium, and loving it. Then decided that the band name is familiar, and looked up here...and Lo and behold...

Appreciated :p

Nov 7, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 38
I definitely appreciate The Mars Volta on my klipsch speakers when I really want something to CRANK. Still haven't found a headphone combo that makes it sound decent
frown.gif
. I love "Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt", with the huge nods to King Crimson. In the middle there's a '69 style mellotron solo, followed by a somewhat poor Fripp circa mid-70's ripoff (which definitely deserves the phrase "imitation is the sincerest form..."), which then evolves back into the Mars Volta sound. Definite nod to all those who know & love Crimson.

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 38
Was looking through cdnow.com, like I usually do-for new music.
Read incredible reviews and just picked up De-Loused.
That was 3 wks ago.
Now I wake up in the morning humming Televators...what a killer track!
Ive been holding off on Frances The Mute...waiting till I get sick of De-Loused first.
Im looking for some more new prog-have another thread going for that if anyones got any recommendations.

Nov 7, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 38
I got into ATDI right as they were dispanding. I followed Cedric and Omar to Mars Volta.

I still remember hearing them at Coachella when they first unvieled their new sound with the Deloused tracks. I had never heard anyone play like that before and it totally blew my mind. The best part was the sea of blank indie kid stares. I think they had been duped by the "The" in the band name and were expecting another three chord 60's garage revival band.

Nov 7, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 38
Can someone please help me?

I really, REALLY want to like this band. I read so many rave reviews, I figure how can so many people be wrong?

So I try De-loused...

The first few times listening through the album, I felt like gouging my eyes out with a rusty spoon.

Could it be that I just don't 'get it'?

Is it an album I need to listen to many times before it grows on me?

Do I need to drop Acid before I listen to it (this is my guess, but since I don't do drugs, I am hosed).

I have a very open mind regarding music, and very large range of genres in my music collection, so maybe I will just spend a lot more time with it and see if it grows on me.

As for thier musicianship, they are just 'ok' IMO. If I want to hear a contemporary band that has mind-blowing musicianship then I turn to Coheed and Cambria.

Oh well, maybe I am just not cut out to be a 'The Mars Volta' fan?
frown.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
Can someone please help me?

I really, REALLY want to like this band. I read so many rave reviews, I figure how can so many people be wrong?

So I try De-loused...

The first few times listening through the album, I felt like gouging my eyes out with a rusty spoon.

Could it be that I just don't 'get it'?

Is it an album I need to listen to many times before it grows on me?

Do I need to drop Acid before I listen to it (this is my guess, but since I don't do drugs, I am hosed).

I have a very open mind regarding music, and very large range of genres in my music collection, so maybe I will just spend a lot more time with it and see if it grows on me.

As for thier musicianship, they are just 'ok' IMO. If I want to hear a contemporary band that has mind-blowing musicianship then I turn to Coheed and Cambria.

Oh well, maybe I am just not cut out to be a 'The Mars Volta' fan?
frown.gif

LOL!
I feel you dude.
heres what you do...listen to song 9 first, (televators), IMO-the most accessible track on the album. Beautiful song even if the whole prog/yelling thing is not for you.
Then move onto song 6 (Eriatarka), a bit crazier, faster pace-but very catchy-a brilliant song.
Thats the track that hooked me...its very complex music...dont give up!!!
ITS THAT GOOD.
Did you love Shine On You Crazy Diamond the first time you heard it??
Im not comparing TMV to Floyd (G-d forbid
icon10.gif
) im just saying good, complex, layered music requires a patient and dilligent listener.

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #14 of 38
i guess it takes some getting used to if your just coming into this sorts of music. try to catch the story line the in whole deloused album, see if you like that then get into the music. like an opera. there's alot of interpreting in the lyrics, check out thecomatorium.com for more.

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #15 of 38
If you ask me, too many people try and "get" this band. Honestly, if you are not a fan of experimental-prog-space-jam-punk-rock these guys just aren't going to make a lot of sense.

I think most mars volta debates center around two extremist points of view with one side trying to convince people to intrinsically enjoy their music, despite perhaps not having a taste for it, and the other side stating the mars volta suck because they happen to personally dislike their sound and direction.

Yes, they are phenomenal musicians, but no not everyone is going to like how they sound. People are not wrong if they don't like them, just as long as they don't try to translate their personal taste into an objective quality scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back