The M4: A fully differential, single-PCB amplifier with relay attenuator
Oct 11, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #46 of 69
Sweet, someone who knows what they're doing more than me :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope the R37,38 are open - the Vcom inputs of the diff op amps try to split the supply V and connecting to one rail would a bad idea

further the data sheet highly recommends bypass C on the Vcom pin - I would tie the 2 chip's Vcom together and make a AC gnd with a pair of well matched caps, one to each op amp supply rail

Yep, they're currently open. I put those pads on the board so I could pull the Vcom divider inside the THS4131 just a little bit closer to V+, to bring the output common mode voltage closer to mid-rail. I think I'll just populate it with a 1uF ceramic instead, for now.

Quote:

the fact that the ths4031 servos the output to Vcom does give you an implicit mid supply active gnd

the feedback+input resistor strings provide a DC path from the inputs to the Vcom active gnds (common mode)

recognizing the feedback R path to the Vcom active gnd then makes R39-44 largely irrelevant until they are reduced to the below the feedback R value

How'd I forget about that? A few fewer resistors to populate; sweet.

Quote:

I also find the cascode fet ccs more headfi fashion than sound engineering - you loose too much headroom to "light up" the cascode fet ccs and in this unity gain output stage bias application you may not want to give up a few more V on the negative swing
Searching the "best" CCS - diyAudio

bootstrap R or bootstrap the supply to a single fet ccs and you'd have more headroom and better output impedance over the full Vsupply swing, the 2 bjt feedback ccs has low headroom requirements if you don't want to use more caps for the bootstrap circuits

Interesting... I'll take a look at the options. Space is a bit tight, though; I'd like to avoid something that'll need a big cap.

Quote:

gate drive R should also probably be different values to give same bandwidth with the different input C of the N vs P mosfets

Good point. Just keep the ratios such that Rdrive * Ciss is the same?

Quote:

and pcb room and holes for heatsinking the mosfets could be good for those wanting enough bias current for Class A into Grados or K701 and enough V for 600 Ohm Beyers - there are some narrow clip-on heatsinks that may not need mounting holes
Standard Board Level Heat Sinks

Absolutely. That one may fit as-is, actually...

Quote:

just use 1% Resistors – if this circuit’s functionality is needed at all - what's the magnitude of the supply noise or "image" of the load current in the regulated supply and how much more filtering does the ths4031 need with ps supply rejection already >90 dB to way beyond 200KHz?

I'll mess around with the opamp power supply a bit and see if I can come up with something better. (Or if it turns out that just omitting it / setting V- = UB- is better.) And it's a 4131, not 4031
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the feedback - praise is nice, but criticism actually helps make things better, so it's always good to get...

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #47 of 69
Right, ths4131: spell check didn't work on the op amp part # - maybe I need to update from Word 2000?

thinking about why you'd want to displace the Vcom I can see that these chips have a problem driving output stages with offset - may need a output DC servo to the summing junctions anyway - or other output stage offset trim

or use a low offset buffer - tpa6120 with local feedback?

Oct 12, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #49 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by stew1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know in the first post you said it is powered by a wal wart. Would there be any improvement in SQ by using a different psu like the sigma 11?

No. The wall wart only provides AC; the onboard Jung regulator is likely superior to the σ11.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #58 of 69
Very, VERY interesting. I was seriously considering building a second M3 board to go balanced - but I could build one of these for not much more than the cost of a balanced DACT volume control alone.....!

And I know Jacob loves his SMD, but I would love to see a physically larger through-hole version with on-board heatsink options (just like the M3) for higher bias on the outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back