The "luxuries that I give up to save some money" thread.
Jan 11, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #76 of 136

Quote:
dang...hot pockets are nasty

So are buffalowings 
biggrin.gif

But seriously you don't like hot pockets 
eek.gif

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #78 of 136

MCC said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't smoke, drink alcohol, chew gum, or drink expensive coffee products. I maybe drink one can of pop ("soda" if you prefer) every two weeks. I instead drink freshly brewed loose leaf teas which provide exceptional value for the money. For example, the green tea I drink (Den's Sencha Fuka-midori) works out to ~$0.12 per serving since I steep it at least twice. If I'm not drinking tea I'm probably drinking water. Since I live in a dorm I previously drank bottled water but I've since switched to a Brita pitcher. The tap water is beyond hard and tastes like whatever pipes they used in 1939. With the Brita the water is rendered drinkable with much less expense.

My snack of choice is pretzels since they're relatively inexpensive and healthier than many other options.

Now I understand more about it, Thanks for your explanation!

Mar 11, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #79 of 136
dare I say it... girlfriends. The ultimate stress-free money saving concept. ( temporary until I lose the debts, partially stemming from ex-wife and subsequent girlfriend. )
That and also buying coffees got too much so I make my own now. Buying coffees more often than not entails buying something at the same time to go with the coffee. No more of that.Gave up the Guinness and it's stout-bretheren as well. Don't buy much in the way of clothes anymore. If you don't leave the house, then you don't need to spend money right.  :) I may get a roll of burlap and start a new fashion trend, stitch up a few suits.
Learning to walk away from the impulse buy is hard at first , but usually it buys me some downtime to think about it and if it is still really "necessary" I will make the trip back for it. The time and the effort to go back often stops me from a bad buy that I don't really want to begin with.

That recipe a page back is going into my collection. Thanks!

One thing this year I am going to do is get a garden plot ( Free for me ) and grow all of my own veg. I have good experience in small space/high yield growing ... no not that type of growing ... and can easily supply most of my stuff. Also it hasn't travelled across the continent for weeks before I get it as well. I can can or dehydrate stuff that's not going to keep. Anyone ever tried a REAL fresh Goji berry before. Nothing like those poor excuse for a fruit dried ones. Grew a plant last year for the girlfriend and it got a fair amount for it's age.

I also got rid of my heap of a 4 cylinder 1980  toyota 4x4 and picked up a diesel car that kills the toyota on efficiency. I fill up once a month instead of 2 or 3 times like the truck. Wierd. Same exact year too.
Money is a frustrating thing.

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #81 of 136
As far as college food goes, I had always thought that there was a list of 3 food attributes: tastey, healthy, and affordable. The issue previously was that it was impossible to get all 3 in one. I've now found these things called "lean-gourmet" frozen meals that taste good as well as being healthy, and only $1 a peice. This is quite a leap from ramen noodles, but is still far cheaper than McDonnalds.

Also, Easymac (the kind that comes in packets) + Tuna = high protein meal that costs about 45cents and stays under 300 calories. Peanutbutter and crackers/wheat thins is a fairly cheap yet filling snack. Remember, a snack isn't cheap if you eat the whole thing in one sitting.

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #83 of 136
Eating less outside in restaurants. One of my habits is that I like to go to good restaurants on all the weekends or holidays, and I used to spend a lot of money there. So if I had stayed home and cook for my self, I would loose some weight and also save some money:)

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #84 of 136
Just discovered head-fi and started my binge on 2 amps and 2 headphones to add to my ety er4P - never really gave up luxuries, but rather went on a binge selling old things I don't use/didn't need on craigslist>ebay - anything from my xbox 360, mountain bike (kept my roadie), tandem bike rack I never used (ended my hopes of getting a tandem <tear>) - to old watches, office supplies - it all adds up!  Able to purchase my westone 3s (actually trying to sell those too - but need to post 15x before I can post on head-fi - on craigslist in sfbayarea though!), grado 325i 50th anniversary ed, TTVJ slim, and headstage arrow! 

Yes, I was born with the gene that causes upgraditis!!

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #85 of 136

Quote:
What about that motorcycle, Kai?
biggrin.gif
(Can't blame you!)

I completely agree about cars, though. I have to have one, but bought an inexpensive, reliable one when I could have spent a lot more. When you add up the interest, insurance and upkeep, cars get expensive fast. I'd rather have an inexpensive daily driver and I keep an antique around for a little fun - I've had the other car for nearly 22 years. The motorcycle was inexpensive, too, and I plan to keep it instead of getting a new one.

I should admit to a weakness for older Ducatis. I might yield to one, even though I know the upkeep isn't ideal.

Considering the mpg of most motorcycles, I'd say that's saving right there.

Quote:
gsilver, McDonald's is expensive over here in LA, too. Most combinations will get you to $6 with California's heavy taxation.

As for disposing of spare money, a house is a good idea. Though consider picking up a duplex. Live in half and rent the other. The prices are a little higher than single-family, but the rent from a duplex can make it cheaper. You'll also get a lot of tax benefits from being a landlord.

I completely agree with you about TV. I turned it off in 1999. Partially a dispute with the cable company (I paid them what they wanted and told them to turn it off) and getting sick of the "news" being 90% celebrity coverage. I've probably saved $6,000-$7,000 since by not having a cable bill.

Though I am excited about getting a TV again - haven't had one for about seven years. The flat screens should get cheap after Thanksgiving. I plan to pick up the new AppleTV and stream Netflix for $10 a month. Am really looking forward to this, as well, because I haven't seen too many movies lately.

Get the 20piece nuggets for $5 or the 50 for $10. :p This has been my upgrade from the ol' two McDoubles and a Sweet Tea. Haha. The two burgers and the sweet tea were my daily meal last summer, considering it was close to my college and would quiet down my hunger while at dance practice, prior to getting home.

Netflix is probably the best investment ever.

Quote:
Smoking. $10 a pack in NYC was too much.

$10?! Jesus Christ! I quit smoking almost half a year ago, and it has definitely put some money back in my pocket. Not to mention that I've more or less stopped drinking, and I rarely smoke weed anymore.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #87 of 136

Quote:
Considering the mpg of most motorcycles, I'd say that's saving right there.

Get the 20piece nuggets for $5 or the 50 for $10. :p This has been my upgrade from the ol' two McDoubles and a Sweet Tea. Haha. The two burgers and the sweet tea were my daily meal last summer, considering it was close to my college and would quiet down my hunger while at dance practice, prior to getting home.

Netflix is probably the best investment ever.

$10?! Jesus Christ! I quit smoking almost half a year ago, and it has definitely put some money back in my pocket. Not to mention that I've more or less stopped drinking, and I rarely smoke weed anymore.

blink.gif
Thats good

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #88 of 136
I "quit" smoking. A week later, stopped drinking and got back on smoking - but a lot less: it "paid" out (didn't really want to quit) and i did end up saving more. Quit the fancy restos and McD's and BK and Wendy's "snacks", started scavenging for used but not abused CDs, stopped getting new shoes and clothes almost every other week, packed lunch cooked at home that's good for dinner, and like all else, dropped coffee in favor of water. Well, lemon-flavored that is. I cut one up, take a 1L jug of chilled water and drop it in. A good shake everytime i drink gets the flavor out. My $750 a week lifestyle trimmed down to around $200. Not bad, but i'm still aiming for $150. Can't think of anything else to trim down on save for the lemons i bring to work for my water. I've been this way for a couple of months now. But i do splurge on stuff every now and then just to keep myself sane.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #89 of 136
Yay! One of my threads got revived.

I'll play! I'm selling my games, and now play 1 generation behind (that means I'm playing original xbox and ps2 games now) and it save me a TON of money. Plus, I don't need to go through needless sequels (need for speed, anyone?) and just go for the best game. Also saves me time from not visiting gaming websites to see the "next big game," since all the games, good and bad, have already come out, and it is immediately clear which games are the best.

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #90 of 136
Gone........

Cable TV.........They charge you and you still have to watch the ads.

Magazines .....It is kind of a habit to read magazines. I read the stuff on line. Magazines are just like cable....they charge you and you still have ads?

Fast Food.......It is really bad for you and expensive.

Credit Cards....% rates are the Devils work. I didn't have them when I was young and I don't have them now! Life has a way of making them needed but there are ways around it.

Buying used....I have always been a junk collector. If you keep your CDs long enough you will forget if you purchased them new or used! Much of my HI/Fi was purchased used. People are for the most part cool out there on auctions. I have only made one bad purchase on E-bay.

Making changes in your lifestyle can be smart and being careful can improve your overall lifestyle. I still don't feel bad for all the excesses of my past! The memories are worth it.

Get a charming personality.
A charming personality gets you invited on vacations for free. You are given gifts on a regular basis. First act as if the gift is too much.... wait then say thank-you.
 A charming personality gets you invited to parties where everything is free. If your personality really rocks, people out of the blue will always ask you out to lunch and just because your who you are they will always pick-up the tab.

Try to get over being "The Man".
Being "The Man" can get overly expensive.

You don't need that big 2011 shinny car. The only person you impress with it is yourself. You don't need that hot trophy wife which is 25 years your junior. Do you think she's with you for your humor?

You don't need to always have the tab. Yes it looks cool to say " I'll get that " at the end of the day you end up with much more money for audio equipment.

The art of mooching is really a refined art. Learn to not overstay your welcome. Use multiple friends who preferably don't know each other. Remember.....Everyone Loves You!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back