The lowest (regular) gasoline prices that you've ever seen in the USA? - What are the gasoline prices in your area now?
May 29, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #76 of 111
In my youth, when I was Learning to drive in Panama City, Florida, at age 14 there was a "Gas War" between two dealers on opposite corners in Downtown. The "regular" price was $0.26/gallon, but the "War" brought it down to $0.19 per gallon. I could fill up my Datsun Pick-up with Eight gallons or so, and go to Hardee's and buy a Husky cheeseburger and a Shake and fries, all for less than $10.

That was in 1966.

May 29, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #77 of 111
Funny...or not so funny; 'bout what's happened to the American Buck. When I was in Jr. High some of us would sneak over to Gilmores' Grill for lunch and we got change back from the two Quarters paid for our Burger, Fries and a Coke. I think we got back like $.15. That same 15 cents is what it cost to go to the Matinee at the local theater.

Times have changed.

May 29, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #79 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just emphasizing that we were considering US gallons.

By the way One British gallon = 4.55 liters

The price in the UK is incredible: $9.52/us gallon (I can't believe this.)

eek.gif
cool.gif
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
eek.gif

Sorry, should have put my units in capitals to make clear - $9.52/US gallon. I was on a loser anyway, as if I had quoted the $11.62/gallon (approx) I would have got corrected the other way
eek.gif

The majority is of course tax, a double hit as there is duty as well as VAT.

May 29, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #80 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by 92135011 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys complain about gas prices...seriously, look at the price of bottled water! It works out to be just as expensive as gas. Most bottled water is no cleaner than boiled water, especially if you live in places that have good quality water such as Vancouver.

I think I saw Evian being charged over $2 at the 7-11 for a 500ml bottle.

Yeah, awesome logic, except I don't need to buy 10 gallons of bottled water a week just to get to work every day in a town where there is no mass transit.

May 29, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #81 of 111
Just paid 4.189 today in Orange County, CA (and that was the cheapest brand-name station I could find).

May 29, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #82 of 111
Actually, all this speaks well of and to the pure genuis of George Bush in continuing to fill the huge oil stockpiles, which now is like a fort Knox holding spendable oil reserves. Simply brilliant, what forethought now as it turns out, as it has increased in value of like 200%(or is that 400%(?)) during his tenure as President of the United States of America
wink.gif

May 29, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #83 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, all this speaks well of and to the pure genuis of George Bush in continuing to fill the huge oil stockpiles, which now is like a fort Knox holding spendable oil reserves. Simply brilliant, what forethought now as it turns out, as it has increased in value of like 200%(or is that 400%(?)) during his tenure as President of the United States of America
wink.gif

What are you talking about?

May 29, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #84 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by TickTockMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you talking about?

Obviously, the oil reserves and its increased value now due to the increased price of gasoline. A silver lining, if you will
wink.gif

May 29, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #85 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Obviously, the oil reserves and its increased value now due to the increased price of gasoline. A silver lining, if you will
wink.gif

Whose oil reserves? Bush's?

May 29, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #86 of 111
I remember .67 per gallon in the mid to late 90's.

May 30, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #87 of 111
I remember gas wars dropping the price below $0.20/gal in the early-mid 1960's. My second car was an 1967 Austin Healey Sprite which got 40 MPG on the road. I remember filling the tank with Amoco Premium for about $2.50!! The first "crisis" was when the price of a gallon of regular jumped from around $0.40 to over $0.70 on base in Guam summer of 1973 or 74. We grumbled a lot and I started riding my bike to work but Guam was not that big so it didn't affect me too much. (Just glad I didn't have to pay for the 3-5000 gallons of 115-145AVGAS it took to fill the tanks on the Connie I was flying at the time!) I got another shock when the price jumped to about $1.40 around 1980-81. I had a Chevy van with a 33 gallon tank. Almost died the first time I filled up after the jump.

Fast forward to today. I have owned/driven mostly vehicles that were more economical than the average. My current vehicles of choice push 30MPG. Not the best but certainly better than average. Even so, with the recent bumps I have cut my discretionary driving in half.

May 30, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #88 of 111
I paid 4.16 tuesday in the burbs of Chicago.

I tanked up for 69 cents in the middle of nowhere when I turned 16. It makes me incredibly sad to think about.

May 30, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #90 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by TickTockMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whose oil reserves? Bush's?

The US Strategic Petroleum Reserves that's under the control of the DoE. They hold $90 billion or so worth of oil at the moment, which will last us two months if the US happens to be cut off from all foreign supplies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back