The long goodbye
Jun 11, 2007 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

noseallinit

500+ Head-Fier
figured some would want to disagree with number 5

http://www.usatoday.com:80/news/top25-disappear.htm

[size=large]The long goodbye[/size]
Times have changed for Michael Jackson (No. 24 below) and vinyl records (No. 5) since he released Thriller 25 years ago. Today, we look back at 25 years of other changes in our lives. Some things are still around (No. 4), some not (No. 6). Disagree with our picks? Tell us at usatoday.com, and we'll post yours.

[size=large]5[/size] Vinyl records
Music used to be big. Literally. Before palm-sized CDs took over, songs were embedded in vinyl platters the size of hubcaps. And then there were 8-tracks and cassettes. But that's another story.

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 5
Wow, am I behind the times!

4. Typewriters. We use them all the time at work. When you get forms mailed to you, you still have to type them out. They are not obsolete at all.

5. I use vinyl. All the time.

10. One of my cars uses leaded. You can get additives, and I'm not selling that car. It's my favorite.

11. i use rotary phones, too. I have a small collection- they're beautiful and are built to take abuse. There's nothing flimsy about the old phones. I use a cell, too, but those have to be replaced after 18 months of light use.

15. There's still plenty of civility around. This place is pretty good, isn't it?

19. Crank windows are still available and preferable. They don't break and require you to spend $700 on a new motor. Plus installation. I prefer them to power windows.

21. Hair bands are coming back. Just wait.
smily_headphones1.gif

22. There's still an afternoon paper here and I subscribe.

Good thing they didn't mention tubes. I'd have to write an angry letter to the editor.

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 5
19. My 2002 Toyota Corolla has a hand cranked roller. It doesn't bother me. Sometimes if the passenger leaves the window down, it's inconvenient because I have to lean over and roll it up myself. Other than that, no big deal.

I love those old rotery telephones. They are very stylish. I've seen them in antique stores and they are built like tanks.-very strong and heavy. They would look great in a chic art deco style room. Art deco ideas are still used today in interior design. I think those phones are still used today in some of the upscale hotel lobbies in New York. Last year, I think it was the Pierre Hotel on 5th avenue that I saw on old rotery phone in one of the hallways on the first floor. It looked very classy and elegant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back