The "Lo-Fi" Appreciation Thread.
Jul 24, 2013 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Sony Slave

100+ Head-Fier
I just wanted to create this thread to see if anyone would come and post about their interest in lo-fi music. 
biggrin.gif

Many people on this forum strive for the highest quality music possible. Building up very impressive FLAC files, as well as owning mind blowing equipment, like headphone amps, DACs, and of course, high end headphones, that all together could cost just as much and even sometimes more than the average mortgage payment, I can only dream of owning some of the gear you guys have!  Many people on Head-Fi can pick up on the the very  subtle differences of a 320 kbs file, vs a FLAC file. Or a 41khz music file vs a 92khz music file; picking up on the subtle distortions and flaws. And more often than not, the Head-Fier will end up preferring the sample with higher fidelity.

I'm simply wondering are there any other Head-Fiers that actually like to listen to lo-fi music? Is there anyone who actually likes to listen to the gritty, choppy kicks, distorted synths and strings with static and background noise all mixed in with a muddy bass line?!?! You're probably thinking that such a low fidelity of music production would sound horrible right? Well, to be honest, some people do a pretty good job at creating a nice Lo-Fi sound on their production. Like Tropes, MNDSGN, JWUSH, many many others.

Here's a YouTube video of what i'm talking about. It's borderline hypnotic lol
 ​
 ​
Here is another track from Tropes http://dirtytapes.bandcamp.com/track/dionysus
 ​
 ​
And here's another one from JWUSH 
 ​

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 10
There's something charming about lo-fi. I used to listen to guys like Holy Sons, which is a lo-fi folk gig... not as electronic as the artists you posted. I'm going to check out more from the producers you posted. I dug that video.

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 10
I agree that in certain instances there can be something charming about this type of music. Mostly I find productions really mediocre and gimmicky sounding. JWUSH track is a prime example of that
biggrin.gif
It takes a bit more than what he's showing there to float my boat. Here's something as lo-fi as I'd like to go. Maybe not exactly what you're after. Second clip is really an incredible track. That slight distortion and noise is gold!

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
There's something charming about lo-fi. I used to listen to guys like Holy Sons, which is a lo-fi folk gig... not as electronic as the artists you posted. I'm going to check out more from the producers you posted. I dug that video.

Holy Sons sounds nice too lol.
I added another video in there as well.

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
I agree that in certain instances there can be something charming about this type of music. Mostly I find productions really mediocre and gimmicky sounding. JWUSH track is a prime example of that
biggrin.gif
It takes a bit more than what he's showing there to float my boat. Here's something as lo-fi as I'd like to go. Maybe not exactly what you're after. Second clip is really an incredible track. That slight distortion and noise is gold!

And I agree with you that the JWUSH track isn't the best . I chatted with JWUSH on soundcloud, and he told me that he makes these slow tempo lo-fi tracks to express the feelings of failure or depression through his music. He explained that this track represented the feelings of loss and longing. http://defees.bandcamp.com/track/q-q
And the crazy thing is that, he made this track when he was extremely depressed and was on the very brink of giving up making music all together.  http://defees.bandcamp.com/track/404po-ds2

Moa Pillar and Shlohmo sound really nice too. As a matter of fact, that very Shlohmo track opened the doors for me to explore electronic music, and the slight distortions in his track left me intrigued with low fidelity production, I wanted to look for tracks that had a much more lo-fi sound from that point on.

It just seems that it's really hard for me to actually let people listen to this type of music. Every single person on facebook that I showed this stuff to, told me that it sucked or that they don't listen to that type of stuff 
frown.gif
. That's why I kinda created this thread to see if anyone else out there liked this type of music.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 10
You had to of heard of Burial, eh? Definitely lo-fi. His Untrue album broke my heart, hah.

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 10
Of the artists mentioned, I'm only familiar with MNDSGN. I've been hittin' up 'bed' a lot lately, the sense of depth and space can be really rather astounding given the (assumed) production constraints.

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #10 of 10
Lo-fi is sort of the point of the original black metal scene (i.e. Gorgoroth recording through a pair of headphones into an 8-track recorder), so I appreciate the aesthetics behind a lot of it. Same goes for "In an Aeroplane Over the Sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel. It wouldn't be the same album if it was recorded in binaural 96/24.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back