The leather on my Edition 9s bothers me.. non-animal solutions?
Aug 18, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leather is an amazing product and no man made material comes close. I enjoy and cherish leather. I don’t take it for granted and putting it to proper use is the utmost respect we can give.

While I most definitely don't want to belittle anyone's "values" however confused I might find them, I have to agree with the above and find it painfully twisted to hear people seriously proposing man-made petro-chemical synthetics as an "ethical" alternative to natural materials.
jecklinsmile.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not necessarily true, though it is necessarily rude.

Perhaps he purchased them used? Perhaps he has values, but they're prioritized. Surely, Mitch, you're not implying that you've stumbled upon some way of living which satisfies every ideal and principle you believe in equally.

I don't see any problem with Luminette's statement here. He's trying to be responsible in his personal life and with his belongings. It's not like the ripped it off and burned it -- he's offering to transfer it to someone else's care.

Is making earpads somehow a more "proper use" for leather than protecting the musculature of a cow?

X3

Well stated Sherwood! Luminette tactfully and discreetly posted in such a manner as not to invite debate regarding his/her personal opinion. My opinion in no way helps solve the dilemma which is real for the OP. This thread should not be a discussion of such matters as animal rights and ethical/non-ethical use of natural resources. It is not warranted.

Unfortunately I have nothing positive to offer to help the OP.

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A synthetic leather (though i'd prefer something that doesn't even resemble leather!) (...)

[/SIZE]

Now you're pushing it a bit far and this particular view will, mostly, be responsable for the trouble this thread will encounter.

Agreed we will respect your views/values but these have to be presented in some more balanced position. Extreme positions usually are attracting extreme answers...
wink.gif

Amicalement

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #20 of 32
Forgot to mention that you should also try an upholstery shop. They should have books of material swatches for you to feel and choose from. You'll be able to find something you like.

Another place you might want to try would be a shoe/handbag repair shop. That might be best since they work on small items. They shouldn't have any trouble finding synthetics, either.

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #21 of 32
Pleather in general is a poor subtitute for leather. Pretty much like veggie burgers, I have yet to taste one that tastes as good as, or better than a great beef burger. Meanwhile there are better tasting vegetarian foods that are not trying to simulate a meat based one. But I digress.

But, rather than simulating leather, look into other synthetic or natural materials. Synthetic Ultrasuede is one possibility. Some microfiber fabrics can give a smoother texture.

Either way you are looking into spending more money than buying the stock pads. And just because I like to give people a hard time, swapping out offending bits from a product you bought still supported the cruelty to begin with.

Personally I prefer cruelty in my headphones. My R10's are my favorite, and they are perhaps the most heinous in that pretty much every part of it involved killing some type of living organism.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I most definitely don't want to belittle anyone's "values" however confused I might find them, I have to agree with the above and find it painfully twisted to hear people seriously proposing man-made petro-chemical synthetics as an "ethical" alternative to natural materials.
jecklinsmile.gif

I'm very compelled to agree with this guy here. If it's the environment you're concerned about, leather is a lot "greener" than anything made of polyvinyl.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonShine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even though the OP politely and respectfully asked, several people (including a moderator) just couldn't stinking resist.
Bloody typical.

Bloody typical? In your five days as a member here, have you already distinguished what is typical of Head-fi's user base? I doubt it. Many useful options have been offered, what's a message board without a little light hearted kidding? All the replies have been respectful, there has been no bashing. Get over it.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #24 of 32
Luminette.

I'd love to say I have a factory that can stretch plastic bags over foam and make new pads for you, but I can't.

The only way I can help you is to tell you that if you name a reasonable rice, then I shall pay the money to your chosen charity and willingly put the original leather pads to good use and put off the purchase of replacement pads from Ultrasone.

Please PM a price.

Regards

Sceptre

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #25 of 32
[size=xx-small]Not that I need to clarify, since I asked that the discussion stayed away from ethical dispute - I did buy these used

As in, they had already fueled supply and demand. I personally don't want to continue using, nor advertising the use of the material

And because some didn't seem to have read my post as carefully as thoroughly - I am going to find a home for the leather pads for another Edition 9 owner[/size]

Now,

Thanks to all for the suggestions! Uncle_erik and sherwood have the right idea for me, I think. I do want to keep the seal I'd get with the right synthetic, over a velour choice.

I'm going to head off looking in that direction now.. it's actually odd to think that with the kinds of wonder synthetics we have anymore, there isn't a choice that is actually superior to leathers characteristics for our uses in headphones. I imagine I'll be back on head-fi to find a leatherworker who has experience in doing earcups for headphones.

Another thought - I am going to check out what is used on the earcups of the hfi-780s... i don't see anything about leather on their product site - and i would imagine that they would mention that since it doesn't come cheap and is much preferred. I think the earcup for the Ed 9s and the HFI-780s is the same size.. going to go message someone who owns both to see
smily_headphones1.gif

Sceptre - your offer is very pleasing
smily_headphones1.gif
However, I imagine I will need/want to send the headphones with original cups to whomever ends up doing the work for me, especially so that they can best recreate the fit. I imagine that this will take a while, as I need to have these on hand for another month before they go off for an APS v3 recable. I'm guessing this won't be timely, and also not wanting to lock us into an engagement.. so.. if not your replacement pair, then someone elses.. but we can keep in touch about it if you aren't in a rush to get your back-up set
smily_headphones1.gif

Still open to further suggestions and/or specific material types.. I actually wouldn't be opposed to an uber material that isn't cheaper. Pff.. and I need to find out what else is in the pads.. I have researching to do

Maybe I should start up a custom earcup business here on head-fi, seems like the kind of niche service we'd have around here, and, I have to imagine there is lots of room for experimentation and improvement

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #29 of 32
the fake leather that Mercedes use is better than the real deal. Check out a service shop for Benz and get some of that. As someone said fake is not green either. I would say you might consider a period of meditation and reflection and ask tha animal involved to forgive you and the world but tell that animal that you have made him a part of a wonderful and beautiful ritual device that permits you to listen to the music of the world. A magical device with which every sound becomes a song. Everything has to die and to find a home like this to be used in a respectful way after you are gone that is a good thing which I think any spirit will understand. I think that once we get to leave this difficult place you probably have a lot less attachment than you might think you would. So the little lamb will probably be cool with the whole thing. It can not be undone so move forward.

Aug 19, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #30 of 32
Hi Luminette.

No rush on the pads.

I have the 780's but they are a pleather that 'looks like leather'.

There is an upholstery material that look s like suede that is man made but again, it looks like suede.

I think a velor over pleather is going to be your best bet.
I have ot removed the cups on my 780s or Ed9s so I cannot comment on interchangeability. My 750s come off too often so I don't want to start that behavior on the others.

Happy hunting, I mean searching.

Regards

Sceptre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back